Hacking E7 (R4 Clone)

iann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To try and cut a long story short, a relative of mine bought an R4 and couldn't get it to work so I said I'd take a look at it.
When she brought it over I saw that it was not an R4 at all, but an E7.
After looking into it, I noticed that the microSD card had a crack in it, (probably caused by her daughter trying to insert the microSD card the wrong way).
So I bought her a new microSD card.

The problem is, what firmware do I put on the microSD card?
After a bit of searching it appears that the E7 is an R4 clone, and after a bit more searching, I came across the E7 website "http://dse7.net".
This website has both Chinese and English mixed on the same page and has a few links to different firmware.
There is a link for the R4DS Update E7 v1.15 kernel 2008-2-24, and another link for E7 Version_2.01 2008-5-10.

So from those links I assume you can either use the R4 kernel v1.15, or use their own E7 kernel v2.01.
After trying to download these files, it seems that they are using really slow servers and I can only download at 0.1KB/s which will take hours, so I thought I'd download the R4 kernel from the official R4 website.
The problem is, I have read that the R4 team are on to these clone flashcarts and the newer R4 software will brick you DS if you use it on a clone R4.
So I'm not sure what to download, and from which website.
Do I have to download the R4 kernel v1.15 that is on the E7 website (as it may have been modified to work on the E7), which will take hours to download?
Do I download the E7 v2.01 kernel on the E7 website, which will also take hours to download?
Or do I download an older R4 kernel from the official R4 website, (as the download will only take a few minutes), and hope doesn't kill the DS?

RomMastah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
You could try to use a proxy close to the remote server that you're trying to download from, to see if it speeds up your download. Another solution is to find someone on IRC who has a better routing to that server and ask him to get the files for you.

I just tried getting the files for you, getting decent speed... about 70 KB/s. If you want, I could send it to your email or dcc it to you on IRC.

iann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all your help.
I'm at work now and have been able to download the firmware files pretty quickly, so I'll hopefully get this E7 up and running when I get home.

mcp2, thanks for uploading the file to filefactory.com, unfortunately I think you got the Chinese version, but thanks anyway.

chaoz underlord

Trophies
XP
Country
mcp2 said:
The new R4 firmware that supposedly will damage your clone card or DS hasn't been released yet so try the R4 firmwre. If it doesn't work then try and get the E7 firmware from somewhere else.

EDIT:

I've uploaded the E7 firmware here for you

http://www.filefactory.com/file/5e56b5/n/han_2_01_rar

I also just bought a E7 and I need to have the new firmware but the problem is that the website is already closed for one week.

Can i ask if you could just reupload the file again so I can get it?

Thank you very much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...