E3 2022 has been cancelled; ESA says event will return in 2023

e3.png

One of the gaming industry's highly anticipated yearly events, E3, has once again been cancelled. Following some early rumours, the ESA has confirmed that this year's E3, which was scheduled to be an online showcase, has indeed been cancelled.

An exact reason has not been shared but is likely due to issues related to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. And it appears that the ESA is focusing its efforts to come back for a (likely) physical event in 2023. In a statement to IGN, the ESA confirmed that E3 will return in 2023 with "a reinvigorated showcase".

"We will devote all our energy and resources to delivering a revitalized physical and digital E3 experience next summer. Whether enjoyed from the show floor or your favorite devices, the 2023 showcase will bring the community, media, and industry back together in an all-new format and interactive experience," the ESA told IGN. "We look forward to presenting E3 to fans around the world live from Los Angeles in 2023."

:arrow: SOURCE

Joeynator3000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only watched it for Nintendo, and knowing them they'll still put out a big Direct in June anyways, so, whatever. Like everyone has said, E3 has been less and less exciting.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, remember when E3 was like the annual Mecca of everything good that was to come out that following year?

Now publishers can't be bothered to present unless they can peddle their stupid loot boxes and crap.

Wouldn't be surprised if the ESA is also becoming increasingly irrelevant. With the ongoing reports of studios abusing developers like preindustrial revolution working conditions, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, this occurrence begs the question which has been the elephant in the room all this time and was highlighted after Sony stopped making an appearance since 2019 and w/ the advent of COVID, do we really need E3 anymore?

AceTrainerMike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best thing about the lack of E3 is not having to deal with "leaks", usually glorified wish lists or trash posts to grab that 15 minutes of fame. I've always heard how "harmless" they were, but nah. All it does is get people expectations too high and make people unnecessarily upset they didn't get what someone else told them would happen.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Even if this isn't an April Fools joke, it's not going to change much.
Most of the fun happens at the presentations, which aren't even held at or during E3 itself.
There's really no need for presentations to be held in person anymore and the last few years with COVID has probably made everyone realize that. When E3 started we could only dream about having fast enough internet to do video streaming but these days everyone and their grandma can stream video in 720p at the very least. There's nothing an in-person presentation gives reporters that an online stream doesn't, apart from the heightened sense of excitement when a big announcement is made and everybody cheers.
It's easy and cheap or free for anyone to whip up an online stream and it just makes so much more sense than in-person presentations when you consider that they can be prerecorded, so they can be made in advance and with mistakes and slip ups cut out and released at the exact time of their choosing, there's no need for the higher ups to take time "off work" to travel as they can record it from anywhere, which also saves them money, and they don't have to pay to appear at E3 (which I am sure is not cheap)
Game demos can be released digitally instead, whether publicly for everyone, or with keys sent out to reporters, which means no waiting in lines for hours, the reporters get to try out every game instead of just a handful that they had time for, so the games get reported on more which means more publicity, everybody benefits.

I will be sad the day E3 is retired though. I look forward to E3 every year and not having that set date where a lot of the big announcements happen and just having companies announce stuff whenever they feel like it like the Nintendo Directs takes away the excitement during the build up even if the announcement stream itself is just the same.

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

One of the gaming industry's highly anticipated yearly events, E3, has once again been cancelled. Following some early rumours, the ESA has confirmed that this year's E3, which was scheduled to be an online showcase, has indeed been cancelled.

An exact reason has not been shared but is likely due to issues related to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. And it appears that the ESA is focusing its efforts to come back for a (likely) physical event in 2023. In a statement to IGN, the ESA confirmed that E3 will return in 2023 with "a reinvigorated showcase".

"We will devote all our energy and resources to delivering a revitalized physical and digital E3 experience next summer. Whether enjoyed from the show floor or your favorite devices, the 2023 showcase will bring the community, media, and industry back together in an all-new format and interactive experience," the ESA told IGN. "We look forward to presenting E3 to fans around the world live from Los Angeles in 2023."

:arrow: SOURCE
Wow, when has E3 ever been canceled? This will go down in history lol.

error404bsod

Koffing Used Smoke. Koffing is already high as fuc
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure there is, and I am sure the Switch Pro is coming out this year too!

But I got the secret details that the Phantom is finally coming out and its release date would have been announced at E3 this year too! :rofl2:
How will they release it oh no wait YouTube ads game stop posters all that bs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o