linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
icefireicefire said:
lol that was great spyke8x
biggrin.gif

heres the deal:
MAKE ALL THE BACKUPS YOU WANT, but unless the original disc is gone you don't need to use the backup.....its called a BACKUP, not what you use first...

So that means that because the "Backup Loader" gets used so much, it is all piracy (as I doubt there are many people with real backups that they can't just use the original disc).....its all piracy, just call it a "Download Loader" and have it at least be more self explanatory about what it actually is for.
actualy the point of backups would be more logical to NOT use the original and use a backup as to preserve the original game disk, for later selling in the future. or making more backups.

hypr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icefireicefire said:
lol that was great spyke8x
biggrin.gif

heres the deal:
MAKE ALL THE BACKUPS YOU WANT, but unless the original disc is gone you don't need to use the backup.....its called a BACKUP, not what you use first...

So that means that because the "Backup Loader" gets used so much, it is all piracy (as I doubt there are many people with real backups that they can't just use the original disc).....its all piracy, just call it a "Download Loader" and have it at least be more self explanatory about what it actually is for.

I disagree. You should use the backup always and keep the original in pristine condition, as you'll never be able to make a perfect 1:1 copy. If at sometime you were to actually destroy or lose the original, your backup becomes the original, in which you have to make a backup of the backup for everyday use. In this case too, you also lose any proof that you actually do own the game, unless you scan/print multiple copies of your receipt.

I actually do this all the time with my imports, as most of these games cost more to ship over seas, and the fact that if I do break them, I can't just walk to a local Gamestop and get a replacement for an out of print game from Japan.

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spyke8x said:
icefireicefire said:
Hey this is a great idea, im going to see if I can work with comex and we can come up with the ultimate piracy detector and put it as part of LibOGC (in every homebrew app)!

You sir, are a complete idiot.

2nd vote

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Face it people... this topic aboard the forums is a never ending battle.... we all have our own opinions... i don't give a feck what anyone says about piracy or where to draw that thin line... does it directly effect your wallet....hell no.

[Nuke]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
It seems the app was remotely changed so doesn't work anymore. I'll wait until a proper release. Don't know why their going to the extreme of packing these apps and obfuscating these apps now.

knigitz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are not pirates, we are revolutionaries.

Please make the necessary changes to the error message and redistribute the package accordingly.

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
knigits, I am re-posting what you had before your edit because it was better.

knigits said:
Honestly folk, who really cares if someone pirates a video game? It's no more-or-less different than pirating music, or recording a show off television using a DVR; so I believe 99% of you guys can shut up about it already. This morality kick that everyone seems to have is getting old, real fast. I'll tell you what, you want to complain about someone downloading illegal copies of video games? Then stop speeding, driving drunk, underage drinking or doing drugs (where illegal); otherwise you're just hypocritical. An extreme example would be a murderer just killing some kid, then coming onto these forums saying "aww, don't you dare pirate video games. that's illegal!". STFU.

There is nothing wrong with downloading games for free, in my opinion; but I tend to be a bit on the progressive side anyhow. Besides, the real crime is charging kids $40-$60 a game, when most of the games on the market are complete crap anyway.

I don't promote software piracy, but I don't judge people who do pirate software.

Here is my view. I would say that piracy is illegal, but not always immoral. For example, if you pirate a game that you wouldn't buy even if there wasn't a way to pirate, then you aren't hurting anyone. You aren't taking away potential money from developers. And for the prices of video games these days, there aren't very many games you would buy in a piracy free world. They sell crap at $50.

Oh, and another thing, the commercials against piracy make me angry because they are retarded. They say, "You wouldn't steal a car, blah, blah..." but you can't even compare that to piracy! With piracy you aren't stealing material goods. You're making yourself a copy.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Keep this civil and constructive guys.

No piracy debates (there are other topics for this).

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Matt93 said:
Oh, and another thing, the commercials against piracy make me angry because they are retarded. They say, "You wouldn't steal a car, blah, blah..." but you can't even compare that to piracy! With piracy you aren't stealing material goods. You're making yourself a copy.

I agree there, if I could copy the car and magically produce a clone of it pretty damn quick and for free you can bet your life everyone would be doing it.

As for the main topic:

IMO its up to nintendo to decide whos a pirate and what theyre doing is bad, not some guy trying to take a moral crusade to cover his guilty conscious. If more people started to take the "OMG UR A PIRATE" route groups would spring up dedicated to stripping that crap out of the apps.

Dictating what people can and can't do with their console is out of line, its as bad as PC games with this facist DRM on them: "oh you cant have nero, can't have process monitor either, you can't upgrade your computer thats an activation, you can't format your pc thats another activation, blah blah blah". At least with DRM its coming from the publisher, not some renegade jobsworth.

vladus2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FlatFrogger said:
Matt93 said:

I agree there, if I could copy the car and magically produce a clone of it pretty damn quick and for free you can bet your life everyone would be doing it.

As for the main topic:

IMO its up to nintendo to decide whos a pirate and what theyre doing is bad, not some guy trying to take a moral crusade to cover his guilty conscious. If more people started to take the "OMG UR A PIRATE" route groups would spring up dedicated to stripping that crap out of the apps.

Dictating what people can and can't do with their console is out of line, its as bad as PC games with this facist DRM on them: "oh you cant have nero, can't have process monitor either, you can't upgrade your computer thats an activation, you can't format your pc thats another activation, blah blah blah". At least with DRM its coming from the publisher, not some renegade jobsworth.

I have no problem with DRM being put on PC games, I just wont buy them if they are insane. This is like buying a game, then downloading a 3rd party addon that won't install if the original isn't real. Why they care is beyond me, its not like they are losing money, the original author is. Hacking the wii to play emulators is no better than downloading WII games (assuming you don't own the original, and even if you do its of questionable legality in many countries), yet I would be willing to bet half of the anti-pirates that use homebrew use emus or other illegal apps. Its like a liquor store thief yelling at a bank robber for robbing a bank, yes one is worse but if you are breaking the law, just less. And that really doesn't give you the right to yell at people that break it in the same way just slightly more. Note, this only applies to the anti-pirates that are hypocrites, I know there are some that are not. Live and let live. I personally respect Team Twiizers position on the matter. They don't like pirates, they wont release things they think can help pirates for the most part anymore, but they will not block pirates.

I do have to agree with the anti-pirates on one thing, I would be surprised if more than a small handful of people using the backup loaders are 100% legit. I buy games and burn backups, but I cannot say I've never tried a game before I bought it, or done other minor things that crossed the line. To all the people on the backup loader side, you will never convince the anti-pirates this is for anything other than piracy, your attempt to do so is futile. If you actually use it legit, I am impressed, but don't think there are more than a very small majority that share your morals on the matter and practice it.

As to my earlier post, I was under the impression this left junk behind on your wii if you were a pirate (and I was drunk). If this is not the case I take most of my statement back. If your homebrew will not work for everyone, I think that should be disclosed up front and be careful not to cross into malware land which is where I can see this heading. Most of this stuff is open source, I have no problems removing a check and recompiling it. I'll even hex edit the dol if I have to, but that doesn't apply to most people.

megadeth22885

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive been watching this forum for a couple days.. making a backup of a game you already own is not illegal... if only i had made backups of systems i was never able to mod, my discs wouldnt be in such bad shape now (even disc drives will wear on a disc)

so comex does not have the right to secretly install a line of code to judge whether or not software used for backup is being used illegally or legally... so lets get back to the topic of how i remove something wrongfully placed on my wii? whats the activator so i can delete it temporarily to uninstall dvdx 3.4?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
for the second time.

Keep this civil and constructive guys.

Try to keep the piracy debates mellow or in another topic (there are topics solely discussing this)

Try to contribute something relevant to working around this protection or identifying what it is.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Dudes calm down,

The app is already non functional because the file it downloads of the internet is removed (actually replaced)

http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?17,6579

As for hacking the app, most of the application is compressed maybe somewhat obscured too like homebrew channel and starfall... so not worth the hassle...

Just a guess, could it be that it uses the same exploit new homebrew channel installer uses?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    wow that didn't work lol
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    tried to paste a pic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop getting your creamy paste all over
    +2
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    DO NOT WORK FOR ME :(
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think he has a wedgie, and is afraid to fix it in public.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or else he caught one of those Florida STD's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psis difficulty meter is Stds like how south park made it race color
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah it's skin color for difficulty in south park

is it, by that logic, blackface to play on the hardest difficulty if you're white?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Psi, you ever been on a date and ran into another past date? And how did you handle it? Just curious.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He just says this is the neighbor across the block and says sorry their mail got mixed up
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, this sounds unhinged, but someone (i forgot who) saying they'd want to make their left 4 dead team wario, samus, captain falcon and nester gave me the idea for a quick round of fuck marry kill/bed wed behead
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck marry kill:
    wario, samus, captain falcon
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i gotta say fuck captain falcon, because he's hot (no homo), marry samus, because she seems like good wife (or as BigOnYa says, wifey) material, and kill wario, because he can't die, so killing him won't really kill him
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but uhhh that's just me hehe
    iu
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    good night guys
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, wise one, thanks for trying to help.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    To sleep perchance to dream!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My state has put a heavy tax on vape juice, taxing any juice with nicotine by the weight/oz. So to get around the bs, my local vape store only sells 0 nicotine vape juices, then they also sell straight nicotine in tiny bottles, and you mix it yourself to your 0% juice, lol
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://wingmusic.co.nz/cd20.html