Hacking Dvdr's that work sometimes..

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i have burnt like 10 backups...all work right after burning.

..then some will work sometimes, othertimes just black screen after backup launcher. Turn off the wii...next morning, may or may not work. Use a less played backup, more chances of working.

So whats the problem? Is it really because of my cheap dvds? They're 'playo' brand. Anyone have the exact same problems and went away when they upgraded to Verbatim -r? I don't wanna spend money on these expensive disks and find out its something else.
frown.gif

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most issues with disks can be tied to two reasons.
1. you are burning at a high speed. Slow it down to x4 and it may be better.
2. Use a different brand of disks. The cheap ones sometime work but often dont. You dont have to upgrade all the way to Verbatim though. Brands like TDK and Sony work well as well.

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes forgot to add...i burn at 2x to 4x only...so i assume speed is not the issue.

burner should be ok too since...well, it burns and the wii plays them fine..albeit for a while

someone who experienced similar pls chime in...come on, i can't be the only one
tongue.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you use ImgBurn then set the speed to auto, cause some good quality DVD's don't support the writting below 8X, and just to letting you know that I always always always burn at 16X and I have no one single coaster in my house...!!
wink.gif

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
steam said:
yes forgot to add...i burn at 2x to 4x only...so i assume speed is not the issue.

burner should be ok too since...well, it burns and the wii plays them fine..albeit for a while

tongue.gif
Not to poop on your birthday cake or anything, but just because a burner burns, does not mean it does it well.
smile.gif
Have you tried different media at all or was it all the same? Have you checked for a firmware update to your burner? (VERY IMPORTANT)

I have a Samsung SH-203N burner and I have burned Wii games on all types of media (good and cheap) and I have never had problems with any of the games I have backed up with it.

I took the plunge on some cheap Lightscribe discs to give them a go, so I am hoping my good burns will continue.
tongue.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
it is the media, I bought a pack of verbs made in india and didn't worked, and another made in taiwan but with ID RITEK blah blah..... and didn't work neither, so I changed to sony accucore and they are even better (I think) that verbs..!!
biggrin.gif

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
it is the media, I bought a pack of verbs made in india and didn't worked
That's why I love my burner! I have some infamous DVD-R Verbatims made from India that have gotten some really bad reviews online and not one has been a bad burn for me.
tongue.gif

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jservs7 said:
steam said:

tongue.gif
Not to poop on your birthday cake or anything, but just because a burner burns, does not mean it does it well.
smile.gif
Have you tried different media at all or was it all the same? Have you checked for a firmware update to your burner? (VERY IMPORTANT)

I have a Samsung SH-203N burner and I have burned Wii games on all types of media (good and cheap) and I have never had problems with any of the games I have backed up with it.

I took the plunge on some cheap Lightscribe discs to give them a go, so I am hoping my good burns will continue.
tongue.gif
i'm just sayin since it does burn the disks and they do play in the wii...they don't fail. Its just that after some plays they become less reliable..

well, i just bought this:
http://www.buy.com/prod/verbatim-dvd-r-4-7...1/10412809.html

will see how it works...dammit i have 150 dvdrs sitting here collecting dusts then
frown.gif

h_2_o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it is a hardmod and not a softmod i have seen this happen several times with bad/cold solder joints from people who think they are wicked sweet at soldering but just aren't.

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
h_2_o said:
if it is a hardmod and not a softmod i have seen this happen several times with bad/cold solder joints from people who think they are wicked sweet at soldering but just aren't.

oh sorry its a softmod on a brand new wii...

btw my dvd burner is this: TSSTCorp TS-H653A

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got the verbatims today...they're from taiwan, so far, all good! Wow, i guess premium media does make a difference...

burnt at 4x...which is the lowest speed it allows me..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast