What happened to my DSi? (sometimes work)

johnmonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hello, this is my first post ever so bear with me in case I make some mistakes. I'm also Chilean so my English might be a little weird :)

I recently bought a used Nintendo DSi which worked just fine. I hacked it using the recommended webpage (dsi.cfw.guide) and made a backup of my nand, installed unlaunch and twilight menu++.
Days after I started using it, I noticed that sometimes it did not power up completely. I have seen this error as "black screens of death" (the blue led turns on, but the screens are gray/black, no sound no response)

Probably I messed up the hacking, but I can assure you I haven't done anything risky besides that. I haven't installed any dsiware, or even homebrew. Just played some .nds roms.

The real problem is that the console sometimes work, but everytime it takes more attempts to power it up, to the point that I don't want to turn it off/reset because of this.

What happened with my DSi? is it bricked, or softbricked? If you know something, please answer this.

Greetings.

Reactions: Lavender01

Lavender01

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i'm a newbie, but have you tried changing the unlaunch no button shortcut to sysnand (so that it loads the dsi menu when you turn it on) if it still has this is error, it might be hardware related, idk.
Post automatically merged:

*automerge*
ok so i have done a bit of research.
what happens if you power on your dsi while holding A+B?

you could also try making a copy of your sd card and then reformatting it to fat32 with sd formatter

Last edited by Lavender01,

johnmonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
i'm a newbie, but have you tried changing the unlaunch no button shortcut to sysnand (so that it loads the dsi menu when you turn it on) if it still has this is error, it might be hardware related, idk.
Post automatically merged:

*automerge*
ok so i have done a bit of research.
what happens if you power on your dsi while holding A+B?

you could also try making a copy of your sd card and then reformatting it to fat32 with sd formatter

I tried loading the dsi menu and didn't work. Trying the A+B thing also don't work and just now I used another SD with the same files previously formated with SD formatter. All negative results.

I'm thinking now that it can be a hardware problem (maybe the card reader?)

Lavender01

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried loading the dsi menu and didn't work. Trying the A+B thing also don't work and just now I used another SD with the same files previously formated with SD formatter. All negative results.

I'm thinking now that it can be a hardware problem (maybe the card reader?)
Hmmm, that sounds like a hardware problem. I don't know anything about the hardware sadly :(
You can try turning on the console without the sd card inserted, just to rule out the possibility that this issue is caused by your sd card/card reader

johnmonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hmmm, that sounds like a hardware problem. I don't know anything about the hardware sadly :(
You can try turning on the console without the sd card inserted, just to rule out the possibility that this issue is caused by your sd card/card reader
It worked! but then it didn't. That's the thing, sometimes it works just fine (with or without the SD) but when I boot the console again it just gets stuck on the black screens.
I have tried a lot of things by now, so if it's not the SD card reader then there's nothing I can do.

Thanks anyway, I really appreciated your interest (:

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what you did or what are experiencing, but can you access Unlaunch? If you can't, when the sd card is inserted, remove it and try again. Just hold A+B to boot to it.
Also your sd card should be in FAT32 format, 32kb or 64kb cluster size depending on the size. Make sure the slider on the sd card adapter is in the unlocked position. And /or test with another sd card adapter if you have a spare (the slider tends to get faulty when used too many times)..
Also you should check your sd card for errors with h2testw, backup everything you have stored there on your computer, format the sd as Fat32 32kb, then run it with "read & verify" setting. It should tell you if it's faulty/ defective.

Lavender01

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It worked! but then it didn't. That's the thing, sometimes it works just fine (with or without the SD) but when I boot the console again it just gets stuck on the black screens.
I have tried a lot of things by now, so if it's not the SD card reader then there's nothing I can do.

Thanks anyway, I really appreciated your interest (:
hmm, it does just really sound like a hardware error. i don't know anything abt dsi hardware, but there might be some people on this forum/other forums that can help you further.
hope you can get your dsi fixed!

Lavender01

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hey, does your dsi work now?
if not, i think it really is a hardware problem. if you know how to handle hardware it might be helpful to open up your dsi, maybe there is some ribbon cables that aren't properly connected or there's dirt or something.

Reactions: johnmonk

HaseoArmahem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Hello, sorry for bump thread - but I have same trouble with exact same steps and looks: ULaunch loaded good, but at any nds, app or system menu - black screen right away and blink blue light. Without SD card, or A+B - ULaunch load fine. Try to load Twilight, or even System Menu - no lack. Change SD not help, even original cartridge give same result(load from Ulaunch menu)
And if you found the solution - could you please share it?
Changed WiFi board, try load DS cartridge even with disconnected bootom part(SD and R/L disabled) - same behaviour

Last edited by HaseoArmahem,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, sorry for bump thread - but I have same trouble with exact same steps and looks: ULaunch loaded good, but at any nds, app or system menu - black screen right away and blink blue light. Without SD card, or A+B - ULaunch load fine. Try to load Twilight, or even System Menu - no lack. Change SD not help, even original cartridge give same result(load from Ulaunch menu)
And if you found the solution - could you please share it?
Changed WiFi board, try load DS cartridge even with disconnected bootom part(SD and R/L disabled) - same behaviour
Make sure the sdcard is formatted as Fat32 32kb cluster size. Also check it with h2testw to make sure it's not faulty or defective.
Backup your data before doing so.

Reactions: SylverReZ

HaseoArmahem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Make sure the sdcard is formatted as Fat32 32kb cluster size. Also check it with h2testw to make sure it's not faulty or defective.
Backup your data before doing so.
Unfortunately, Format many times, used three different sd card (2, 4, 2 gb - no sd adapter - sd cards from Nintendo 3ds, works perfect on other system). It is definitely not SD card - as even without SD card trying to start cartridge or any system menu from ulauncher give the black screen. it is someting like - it stop working right after nds file try to execute(or start - I dunno how it realy work)
Such behaviour is not only with Twilight Menu - it is even if I select some system apps available from ulauncher menu. Even with disconnected SD slot entirely - no changes at all.

Last edited by HaseoArmahem,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Format many times, used three different sd card (2, 4, 2 gb - no sd adapter -
You're not using an sd card adapter?
sd cards from Nintendo 3ds, works perfect on other system). It is definitely not SD card -
You still need to check it with h2testw if you want to make sure they're is not faulty.
as even without SD card trying to start cartridge or any system menu from ulauncher give the black screen.
Why are launching cartridges from Unlaunch anyway? Launch them from the DSi menu, or TwilightMenu's ds menu.
As for the system settings, is it giving a black screen when you click on system settings on sysnand?
Also, do you have emunand and/ or Hiya cfw, or not?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, Format many times, used three different sd card (2, 4, 2 gb - no sd adapter - sd cards from Nintendo 3ds, works perfect on other system). It is definitely not SD card - as even without SD card trying to start cartridge or any system menu from ulauncher give the black screen. it is someting like - it stop working right after nds file try to execute(or start - I dunno how it realy work)
Such behaviour is not only with Twilight Menu - it is even if I select some system apps available from ulauncher menu. Even with disconnected SD slot entirely - no changes at all.
Sounds like something is causing sleep mode to activate even when the console's lid isn't closed.
To work around the issue in TWiLight Menu++, add this to `sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/settings.ini` under [SRLOADER]:
Code:
SLEEP_MODE = 0

HaseoArmahem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Thank you for ideas.
Here is some info:
You're not using an sd card adapter?

You still need to check it with h2testw if you want to make sure they're is not faulty.

Why are launching cartridges from Unlaunch anyway? Launch them from the DSi menu, or TwilightMenu's ds menu.
As for the system settings, is it giving a black screen when you click on system settings on sysnand?
Also, do you have emunand and/ or Hiya cfw, or not?
I try used Cartridge to check if it work - I have same behavior if try to load Twilight, app or cartridge.
Ulaunch installed and nothing more - no EmuNAND, no Hiya - select Twilight Menu on autostart in Ulaunch and nothing more.
Used only genuine SD card (2gb - FAT 32 ,32 kb formatted ) - just checked in h2test - all good.
As for system menu: yes, I try to load it from sysnand, camera app, sound, browser - in fact any system app (it load ok on other dsi)

Sounds like something is causing sleep mode to activate even when the console's lid isn't closed.
To work around the issue in TWiLight Menu++, add this to `sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/settings.ini` under [SRLOADER]:
Code:
SLEEP_MODE = 0
Add this line - but nothing change.
It is really like sleep mode activated right after app try to start.
Tahnk you for idea - now at least I have some more info for google.

Back story: friend get console, "just update Twilight via copy paste on SD", played more than 4 hour and then it start appear randomly . After day of such story it start to appear permanent right after start. He say "nothing more I did", so in fact all what I know - "user try updated Twilight to play in wifi mode". I try to use old one, but no luck.
WiFi board change from work unit - no changes.
It seems console activate Sleep mode if any app try to start.
Original OP has same behavior, so I hoped he resolved it.

johnmonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
hey, does your dsi work now?
if not, i think it really is a hardware problem. if you know how to handle hardware it might be helpful to open up your dsi, maybe there is some ribbon cables that aren't properly connected or there's dirt or something.
Sorry for the delay, but I just now fixed the problem.

I was about to sell my DSi but then I saw a really cheap wifi board on aliexpress (about 4$ USD plus shipping) so I bought it, replaced it myself and... that was it! the console works perfectly fine now, it boots up everytime and I'm really happy :')

So, if anyone reading this has a similar problem, replacing the wifi board might be the answer. Aliexpress is a good place to find them but you can also buy a broken dsi (some people sell those really cheap too).

Thanks again for your replies and excellent advice, I hope you all have happy holidays!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*