Dvdr's that work sometimes..

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by steam, Mar 24, 2009.

Mar 24, 2009

Dvdr's that work sometimes.. by steam at 4:51 AM (1,046 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. steam
    OP

Newcomer steam Advanced Member

United States
    So i have burnt like 10 backups...all work right after burning.

..then some will work sometimes, othertimes just black screen after backup launcher. Turn off the wii...next morning, may or may not work. Use a less played backup, more chances of working.

So whats the problem? Is it really because of my cheap dvds? They're 'playo' brand. Anyone have the exact same problems and went away when they upgraded to Verbatim -r? I don't wanna spend money on these expensive disks and find out its something else. [​IMG]

2. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Most issues with disks can be tied to two reasons.
    1. you are burning at a high speed. Slow it down to x4 and it may be better.
    2. Use a different brand of disks. The cheap ones sometime work but often dont. You dont have to upgrade all the way to Verbatim though. Brands like TDK and Sony work well as well.

3. steam
    OP

United States
    yes forgot to add...i burn at 2x to 4x only...so i assume speed is not the issue.

burner should be ok too since...well, it burns and the wii plays them fine..albeit for a while

someone who experienced similar pls chime in...come on, i can't be the only one [​IMG]

4. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    If you use ImgBurn then set the speed to auto, cause some good quality DVD's don't support the writting below 8X, and just to letting you know that I always always always burn at 16X and I have no one single coaster in my house...!! [​IMG]

5. jservs7

Member jservs7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Puerto Rico
    Not to poop on your birthday cake or anything, but just because a burner burns, does not mean it does it well. [​IMG] Have you tried different media at all or was it all the same? Have you checked for a firmware update to your burner? (VERY IMPORTANT)

I have a Samsung SH-203N burner and I have burned Wii games on all types of media (good and cheap) and I have never had problems with any of the games I have backed up with it.

I took the plunge on some cheap Lightscribe discs to give them a go, so I am hoping my good burns will continue. [​IMG]

6. ether2802

Mexico
    it is the media, I bought a pack of verbs made in india and didn't worked, and another made in taiwan but with ID RITEK blah blah..... and didn't work neither, so I changed to sony accucore and they are even better (I think) that verbs..!! [​IMG]

7. jservs7

Puerto Rico
    That's why I love my burner! I have some infamous DVD-R Verbatims made from India that have gotten some really bad reviews online and not one has been a bad burn for me. [​IMG]

8. ether2802

Mexico
    with the ID: MBI blah blah blah..? [​IMG]

9. jservs7

Puerto Rico
    MCC 03RG20 [​IMG] I've also used Playo, HP's and Valueline TY's and a few others that I can't remember.

10. steam
    OP

United States
    i'm just sayin since it does burn the disks and they do play in the wii...they don't fail. Its just that after some plays they become less reliable..

well, i just bought this:
    http://www.buy.com/prod/verbatim-dvd-r-4-7...1/10412809.html

will see how it works...dammit i have 150 dvdrs sitting here collecting dusts then [​IMG]

11. h_2_o

Newcomer h_2_o Member

United States
    if it is a hardmod and not a softmod i have seen this happen several times with bad/cold solder joints from people who think they are wicked sweet at soldering but just aren't.

12. steam
    OP

United States
    oh sorry its a softmod on a brand new wii...

btw my dvd burner is this: TSSTCorp TS-H653A

13. steam
    OP

United States
    got the verbatims today...they're from taiwan, so far, all good! Wow, i guess premium media does make a difference...

burnt at 4x...which is the lowest speed it allows me..

14. Gamemaster1379

Member Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Give Fujifilm DVDRs a try. I've tried several brands. Staples, HP, Sony, etc, and out of all of them Fujifilms haven't failed me yet.