Hacking DVD Burner

Melchizedek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello

I need a new DVD burner. I don't have any modchip yet, but I might get one someday. I believe that you need a good DVD burner, as well as good DVDs, to get the games working well. Do you have any suggestions?

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pioneer 111D or 112D.

The 111D is hard to find I believe, I have an OEM 112D and its never burned a coaster. Even on cheap media its successful.

I got my 112D for £22 here in the UK from a local store so not that expensive and definately a good burner.

I also heard LG burners are good for the Wii, I got the pioneer as I heard it was best for Xbox/xbox 360DL burns. My Wii burns work well with it too. Its great!
ph34r.gif

aross6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lite-On brand burners! They're cheap, sturdy, and work for burning backups across multiple platforms. Available at your local Wal*Mart.

Achilles

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lite-On all the way. I did lots of research on this topic just a month ago and found that the Lite-On burners gave the least amount of jitter for the price. I love mine.

avant1277

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
another vote for pioneer. I've been happy with my 109 for the past few years, with the amount of burning I do my writers usually last a couple of years. I've just ordered a black 112 to replace it.

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I also have a Sony DW q28-a which is a rebadged lite-on drive.I cross-flashed it with liteon firmware & now it burns Wii stuff fine, never had a bad one, it just sucks for x360 DL burns, makes coasters out of Verbatim discs even,
frown.gif
so I got a pioneer!
cool.gif

pnag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had many, many different brands of burner over the past 5 years (LG, LiteOn, Pioneer) and without a doubt the standout is Pioneer 112D.

Can't recommend them enough - best for burning and price, dunno how they do it!

mehmed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would go for the latest LG, Pioneer or NEC. I have a Nec 7170a and it works perfect. Since I have a Nec i have not 1 coaster yet. Even with cheap media.

Marxian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pioneer 111D/112D is definitely the safest choice. It has proved consistently reliable for producing backups on all types of media. It also sets the booktype to DVD-ROM for DVD+R DL.

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
In the last couple months, I've broken a Lite-On and an IOMagic (cheap) DVD burner. I had the IOMagic one for a year or so, then it died. So I broke the Lite-On I had bought on sale, but never used. Then it died after two months of use last night. I was formatting a RW disc when it got stuck at 96%, making some ticking noises. Neither recognizes that there is a disc (recordable, or manufactured) in the drive.

So, I can't recommend any of the cheapo brands. I'll try a Pioneer 112d soon, I think.

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah man, go for a 112d. You'll be happy
smile.gif

Mine hasnt let me down yet & even though I've only had it a few months, I read somewhere else a guy has done over 2000 successful burns with his. Not one failed (note: this may be BS)
ph34r.gif

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm voting for Lite-On drives. have been using mine to burn Wii and xbox 360 backups. never had a problem. all discs turned out just fine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1