DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Melchizedek, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Melchizedek
    OP

Melchizedek GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2006
    Canada
    Hello

I need a new DVD burner. I don't have any modchip yet, but I might get one someday. I believe that you need a good DVD burner, as well as good DVDs, to get the games working well. Do you have any suggestions?

2. cardyology

cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 2, 2007
    Chorley Uk
    Pioneer 111D or 112D.

The 111D is hard to find I believe, I have an OEM 112D and its never burned a coaster. Even on cheap media its successful.

I got my 112D for £22 here in the UK from a local store so not that expensive and definately a good burner.

I also heard LG burners are good for the Wii, I got the pioneer as I heard it was best for Xbox/xbox 360DL burns. My Wii burns work well with it too. Its great! [​IMG]

3. cardyology

May 2, 2007
    Chorley Uk
    Anyone agree? Disagree?

4. aross6

aross6 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2007
    United States
    Lite-On brand burners! They're cheap, sturdy, and work for burning backups across multiple platforms. Available at your local Wal*Mart.

5. Achilles

Achilles GBAtemp Regular

Feb 28, 2005
    United States
    Lite-On all the way. I did lots of research on this topic just a month ago and found that the Lite-On burners gave the least amount of jitter for the price. I love mine.

6. joesmokey

joesmokey Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2005
    United States
    Pioneer imo is the best, and they're so cheap now that there's no need to consider alternatives.

7. avant1277

avant1277 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2006
    another vote for pioneer. I've been happy with my 109 for the past few years, with the amount of burning I do my writers usually last a couple of years. I've just ordered a black 112 to replace it.

8. cardyology

May 2, 2007
    Chorley Uk
    I also have a Sony DW q28-a which is a rebadged lite-on drive.I cross-flashed it with liteon firmware & now it burns Wii stuff fine, never had a bad one, it just sucks for x360 DL burns, makes coasters out of Verbatim discs even, [​IMG] so I got a pioneer! [​IMG]

9. mikeosoft

mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

Dec 9, 2004
    United States
    one more for lite-on i've been using lite-on drives for the past 5 years or so without a hitch.

10. pnag

pnag Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2007
    I've had many, many different brands of burner over the past 5 years (LG, LiteOn, Pioneer) and without a doubt the standout is Pioneer 112D.

Can't recommend them enough - best for burning and price, dunno how they do it!

11. cardyology

May 2, 2007
    Chorley Uk
    Is it possible to start some sort of poll at the top of this thread?

12. mehmed

mehmed Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2006
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    I would go for the latest LG, Pioneer or NEC. I have a Nec 7170a and it works perfect. Since I have a Nec i have not 1 coaster yet. Even with cheap media.

13. Marxian

Marxian Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2005
    Pioneer 111D/112D is definitely the safest choice. It has proved consistently reliable for producing backups on all types of media. It also sets the booktype to DVD-ROM for DVD+R DL.

14. Dirtie

Dirtie :'D

Former Staff
    Sep 9, 2003
    New Zealand
    Zealer
    Benq DW1655/DW1650

or even better:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/devices/ (look at the top 5)
    These are the people that know what they're talking about [​IMG]

The Pioneer 112D is indeed also rated quite highly, better than LG models in most aspects.

15. mehmed

mehmed Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2006
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    If you are going to look to that site you can better look at this link:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/

I would go either for the pioneer or NEC. (The LG takes time ripping dvd's)

16. dsbomb

dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

Feb 12, 2007
    United States
    Illinois, USA
    In the last couple months, I've broken a Lite-On and an IOMagic (cheap) DVD burner. I had the IOMagic one for a year or so, then it died. So I broke the Lite-On I had bought on sale, but never used. Then it died after two months of use last night. I was formatting a RW disc when it got stuck at 96%, making some ticking noises. Neither recognizes that there is a disc (recordable, or manufactured) in the drive.

So, I can't recommend any of the cheapo brands. I'll try a Pioneer 112d soon, I think.

17. cardyology

May 2, 2007
    Chorley Uk
    Yeah man, go for a 112d. You'll be happy [​IMG]

Mine hasnt let me down yet & even though I've only had it a few months, I read somewhere else a guy has done over 2000 successful burns with his. Not one failed (note: this may be BS) [​IMG]

18. mustnap

mustnap GBAtemp Regular

Mar 13, 2007
    United States
    i'm voting for Lite-On drives. have been using mine to burn Wii and xbox 360 backups. never had a problem. all discs turned out just fine

19. Melchizedek
    OP

Melchizedek GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2006
    Canada
    The seller recommended me the LG H50NB instead. Did I make the right choice in buying the LG?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice