Dumping DS carts

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by mathew1971, Jul 4, 2017.

1. mathew1971
    OP

mathew1971 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2008
    I am trying to dump some DS carts and struggling.

I have tried a couple of methods.

1. Wooddumper CIA on 3DS - this runs but when i press a to dump screen goes black and hangs. Using gateway as entry point to launch CIA.

2 Tried both Wooddumper and NDS backup tool - via slot 2 flashcards (Acekard 2 and R4i 3DS) - no luck with either - Wooddumper errors as dump fail and NDS backup fails to read card slot 1.

Probably some silly mistakes - have looked around net for guides but cant find a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. ashudow

ashudow Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2017
    Australia
    Boot into GodMode9 on your 3DS, go to GAMECART, and extract the .nds file (the trim.nds one)

DarthDub likes this.
  3. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    GodMode9 on the 3DS worked well for me, if you want to dump DSI Enhanced games that's the best way to do so.

If you scroll down on this guide to Dumping a Game Cartridge: https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage.html it explains how to do so.

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    for slot 2 dumping you need a GBA flashcart (you didn't posted which gba flashcart you using, so i will assume it's the ez iv)
    you need to patch the nds backup tool with the dldi file for your gba flashcart. (if you can't find it, i can provide a link)
    most NDS flashcarts will autopatch the DLDI with it's own patch, i own a DSTWO and i don't know if it's possible to dissable the DLDI auto patching in this card, so i require an extra step, LOCK the dldi
    to lock the DLDI, there is this software found in the DLDI website https://www.chishm.com/DLDI/downloads/dldi-noap-gui.zip instructions in a readme file.
    so basically: patch the homebrew with the GBA flaschcart DLDI file, lock the DLDI from being patched by the slot 1 cart
    this is required for nds backup tool slot 2 from rudolph
    if you own a ez 3-in-1 you don't require a special version dedicated for it
    i also think you require this with wood dumper... but i can't remember very well

in case you already did this, are you trying to dump real carts or bootlegs\copies\fakes?

about the 3ds woodumper, i can't help, it works for me, i have a9lh

5. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    to much hassle when godmode9 does a fine job and already answered above

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    still better reply to op in case he can't do it with godmode

7. mathew1971
    OP

mathew1971 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2008
    Thanks all - i have finally installed Luma on my 3ds and got rid of Gateway - have now used Godmode to dump carts as suggested.

Finally do i need to convert my 3DS games (that are on micro sd in gateway) to CIAS to install on Luma modded 3DS or can i run as .3DS files?

Thnaks again.

migles likes this.
  8. Kurausukun

Kurausukun GBAtemp Regular

Apr 6, 2014
    United States
    This can also be done in GodMode9. Just find the .tmd file you want in your titles directory and it'll give you the option.