Homebrew COMPLETED Duke Nukem 3D

palsmafart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice! A question I have is how well does it run on the switch? are there any performance issues?
Also, would It be possible to emulate the goldsrc engine (the modified version of quake engine by Valve) so we could run games like HalfLife 1 and Counter Strike 1.6? I saw someone got it to run on android(with server support)

x0x0

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Very nice! A question I have is how well does it run on the switch? are there any performance issues?
Also, would It be possible to emulate the goldsrc engine (the modified version of quake engine by Valve) so we could run games like HalfLife 1 and Counter Strike 1.6? I saw someone got it to run on android(with server support)
It runs perfect 60fps.

Reactions: palsmafart

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Just tested the Atomic Edition of Duke Nukem as well, and it runs fine. (Youtuber must have had bad luck or used malformed versions of the two files you copy over).

I prefer the original version of Duke Nukem 3D though because of some of the texture work and enemy placements.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Great, now Wololo is posting fake news, sourced in here.

Which by the way will be the reason, I will never link to a wololo article in the future.
http://wololo.net/2018/05/01/duke-n...-bastards-shot-ride-nintendos-latest-console/

The point of contention is "early and unstable", which is simply copying the impressions of a youtuber verbetum, who has now now reached his goal (promotion), thanks to wololo featuring his "work" prominently in the article (we need pictures, images, quick, rip off a youtuber), while of course not listing the sources for the other information their are quoting from here - as if it had been the fruit of their research.

I was not the initial source for any of this information, so I can say this - hopefully without being accused of alterior motives.

Everyone giving feedback in here for free, is now being exploited by journalist and youtubers alike - both of which are not interested in the slightest, about an actual version of the truth - or contributing to projects.

Back to the point of contention. I've played through the first level of Duke Nukem 3D on the port five times right now, and through the second level once - being gated by "being killed", because this game isn't supposed to be tackled without a save system.

I've played both the original version as well as the Atomic version in contention, and the port hasn't crashed on me once.

Regardless of why the youtuber and me had those different experiences (he might have used the wrong game files (hashes to check are available on the eduke32 website), he might not have copied all necessary files, his SD card might be corrupt - I don't know) - what I know for certain is, that the port is crashing isn't caused by "it being an early version" and it being "early days for the scene".

Both notions were entirely made up by a youtuber who played the port for 15 seconds FOR a video. And did so for the first time, while recording a "look at me, I've got something cool" centered clip for his audience. The likelyhood that he did any preliminary testing, or verified his process, or had an idea what he was talking about during the video, when he had to put blame on someone - for his audience actually getting a 15 seconds clip, with an unplaned ending - is zero.

But for that, he got featured by wololo, and all the people actually giving feedback and bug reports, get to experience the honor of having their work lifted without even as much as the author mentioning, that it wasn't him that "found those things out", being the great journalistic mind that he is (never having played the port for his news story).

As a result, we have wrong information out there - we have a freaking youtube clickbater, that gets featured by name an video embed on a news portal for all the effort of "pretending to be excited and recording his first experience" (copying some files, and then hitting a, adding "lol is this normal" to the conversation in here).

Just wanted to make sure to let everyone know.

With copy and paste, it must have taken the wololo "text artist" the better part of 3 minutes to make up his story.

Last edited by notimp,

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
They even edited my (very little) release message ....... :)
  • Enjoy "Duke3D with some pesky issues that will probably be fixed soon!"

D

Deleted User

yeah it's def weird. I can tell you that it's not like easy to get the files. I don't have the originals anymore. Some do crash like immediately. Some play for awhile (the second vid I posted I got about 8 minutes gameplay). I do care and am trying to help. If you notice that is part 17 of a series where I test homebrew. I have several hours logged in with various homebrew. Performance for both the homebrew launcher and the various homebrew certainly varies quite a bit. Quite often the homebrew launcher will fail at various screens with various errors. Some software is very reliable. Some is not. It could be memory card corruption. It could just be bad files. I am actually helping. I think notimp is just psycho frankly.

So it leaves me with a few questions some of which have been previously stated that might help others:

Are uses who reported stability using a different version of either pegaswitch/homebrew menu? I think this is a logical question and can help others.

What is hash of the working files? As I have contributed I have downloaded several versions of duke nukem 3d with various results.

I have a spanking new mem card I can test these theories of corruption with (the other card was also very new keep in mind other homebrew like openbor scummvm and pfba along with several others working fine as shown in my 17 part series)

But hey look we can not like each other some of us and some of us can. The key is to deal with facts and stop going off topic. While it may be the only time you get to live notimp (and if so I pity you but I understand you dilemma) try to be less rash and more thoughtful. You are quite bright. You made a mistake earlier but it led to discussion and hey now we even have a user reporting atomic works fine. Who knows what else we can learn and contribute to make this homebrew great for all.

Last edited by ,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Quite often the homebrew launcher will fail at various screens with various errors.

Not the case with any of the current builds of homebrew. Earlier builds of retroarch had this issue, current ones (SNES, GBA) dont. None of cpasjustes builds have this issue. Also none of the homebrew based on libnx, I've tested in the last months has had this issue.

Also HBL on its own, doesn't crash.

Thats part of the problem, of not knowing where your problems are coming from - but something seems to be specific to you having those issues.

I'll go through the files for Duke Nukem 3D (normal, and atomic edition) and post MD5 hashes if that helps, but if this turns out to be you having an issue with your sdcard (I'm using fat32 formated cards with an Allocation Unit Size of 32K (used guiformat to set it that way, see https://switch.hacks.guide/), that shouldnt reflect back on people judging the software that gets created.

Brushing over all this with a broad stroke ("homebrew on the Switch has this problem"), is actually kind of the issue here - regardless of if you have made 15 youtube videos starting homebrew apps in the past.

"I probably got a bad rom" can also be a shorthand for user error, because roms usually are curated by people who know what they are doing. If you need some handholding to figure out whats causing your issue you've now gotten some pointers. :)

MD5 hashes for gamefiles that didn't crash for me once, in about four hours of playtime, still to follow.

edit:

Duke Nukem 3D:

MD5 (/eduke32/duke.rts) = 9d29f9673bbdb56068acf7645c13749c
// hash identical to DUKE.RTS v1.0/1.1/1.3D/1.4/1.5 as listed on:
http://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

MD5 (/eduke32/duke3d.grp) = 981125cb9237c19aa0237109958d2b50
// hash identical to DUKE3D.GRP v1.3D as listed on:

Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition:

MD5 (/eduke32_atomic/duke.rts) = 9d29f9673bbdb56068acf7645c13749c
// hash identical to DUKE.RTS v1.0/1.1/1.3D/1.4/1.5 as listed on:

MD5 (/eduke32_atomic/duke3d.grp) = c904ffb6a4f3c6080dd1dac31218b25a
// hash not listed on the Wiki page, but according to google its from version 1.4 of the game

If you have issues with this port of eduke32, have you tested eduke32 on other platforms (Windows PC), to see if your issue is reproducible there?

What you have done up till now in here is to post a clickbait question -
"Lol, do all of you have this issue?" Followed by a videolink to your channel.

Lucked out into getting picked up by a news site who refused to do any research on their part - misrepresented information, and didn't care about attribution.

And now that you've presumably seen an uptick in your views, you are back to post, that "your channel has 15 more videos of you starting switch homebrew", and that you are very willing to "work together" with people, that might do more, than point a camera at a thing - acting fake excited and upbeat.

(Sorry to come down on this again, but I really dont like the youtube content producers approach to participating in a scene - if that approach entails close to no work prior to turning on the camera. (There is something video production professionals did in the past called a script and a shotlist... also, research.) Also you are not the first youtuber that tries to populate his channel by "participating" in here, so we are confronted with this quite frequently. We've seen it before.)

edit: I'll now hunt down version 1.5 of the game (atomic edition as well) to see if I can reproduce the issue there. Just promise not to put the results into a youtube video with no reflection whatsoever.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
D

Deleted User

i think what happens is this is complicated stuff and you read fast. I post how several of the homebrew apps: scummvm, pfba, and openbor work fine for me. I did also mention several other homebrews work fine as well. When I point to my series it's not about views (i really don't think you understand how youtube works notimp someone getting hundreds of views literally makes nothing off it man) it's to say hey man look I have it all recorded etc. So it's an excellent reference point and helps novice users. When I mention crashes I am talking about you know how like you go to network settings and then you get the message the screen will be closed. That will sometimes crash. I document all of this. Are you telling me your success rate to launch pegaswitch NEVER CRASHES? If so I am VERY INTERESTED. As MANY people I have msgd online complain of this. Now what I will call the HBMENU no that will be stable as LONG AS I AM ABLE TO LAUNCH IT. This is why I specifically question version of PEGASWITCH. I go to the github and check constantly (cause I uh care video games saved my life) and it always seems I am on the latest hbmenu. So I am at a loss. Do people have builds they do not share? Since so much of the homebrew works I really doubt card corruption but this will also help others if it turns out to be the problem. I am using the official nintendo sd card btw. I have an unopened 256gb I will be setting up soon but I would like to know first hash and the answers to my pegaswitch/hbmenu questions to help pinpoint the issue. In terms of retroarch that makes me laugh because for those interested I showed on my channel there is a tale of two compiles. Latest version of nes actually sux compared to an older version I have. Why is that? It's very interesting actually. The good retroarch nes build is also full screen in terms of the menu. I am sensitive to nes so I notice this. But yes I know well how far we have progressed and I documented it all along the way to help others. Not to profit. I did it because I enjoy it and it's actually cool. Btw wololo is a damn good site and just because they featured a vid of mine shouldn't deter you from it. Btw the fellow doesn't like me either. Food for thought. In truth I did nothing to him similar to you. In his defense he still posted my video. In truth it's not like many have actually documented their experiences here. I mean less than a dozen people we are talking about. How sure are we that all these switches should behave the same? So far I was only one who posted extended gameplay proof. I mean for all I know others are just playing for a minute and posting it works and even at that it's not many people. All in all I tend to agree that cpas produces quality for the switch so I am scratching my head on this one.

I must have downloaded every version of duke nukem 3d available. 1 crashes like at title screen. One I showed where I did get quite a few minutes of gameplay in but it eventually did crash yes. So there is def something going on. If the files you use are from a legit copy I think it very well could be that it will have a different hash for whatever reason and it is helpful not just for me but for others.

In terms of the youtube tips I am doing fine. I don't want to do what others have done I want to be original. The point of my approach is I am a gamer. I don't want to prepare and test first. I want to show people my actual true experience. This way we capture any errors or pitfalls and I also cover their solutions. Sometimes real time. This is very unique and I am surprised you don't realize this with your intelligence. Maybe gasp you should check out some of my stuff. What you are suggesting is frankly done to death and boring.

oh and you might find it funny to know wololo already featured my work for ps4 scene along with such reputable sites like logic sunrise, elotrolado, and hack informer. Frankly I don't need to post my vids here. I am doing quite well. I am far from lucking out with the duke video. I didn't submit it to them nor did I ask them or any site to post my stuff. They post it cause it's good...

Last edited by ,

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Someone needs to port Xash3D which runs all GoldSrc games.
It already got ported to Vita.

https://github.com/FWGS/xash3d

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You are correct in the points you bring up. Pegaswitch will crash one out of five times using it - which is related to it being used at that point to glitch out the switches memory, so we can get code execution. I've tried to give visibility to a method the ESP8266 "host your own exploit" developer brought to light (thats mainly about timing), which still gives me an 80% success rate launching HBL from the first boot - which helps with not running into this too often.

Once HBL is able to get launched, it doesnt just crash. Neither do the vast majority of current apps. I've no idea what your experience (frequent crashes in this port) is related to, and I've tried my hardest to find out, and or trigger it myself. I haven't managed to do so.

I grant you, that your "the scene is still new and things crash" comment was a spur of the moment thing, that I shouldn't hold you accountable for till the end of all days - but I do care about form.

*Lol - do you guys have this problem* > videolink
Followed by a poorly researched news article on wololos part, that gave you linkjuice for misrepresenting the state of this release.
Followed up by -
*I've 15 other videos about homebrew on my channel, lets work this out, gbausers!*

Tickled my "that guy is still promoting his channel" bone. I might still not understand how people can produce content about homebrew, without trying out that stuff first, much less why they become the primary sources for blogs on how well a piece of software works.

You've got the promotion and the clicks, the public at large got wrong information, and we had more work trying to get the messaging out, that this port actually was tested before release, and doesnt crash after 15 seconds or 8 minutes of playtime - at least not in our experience. And that random crashes are not a staple of the Switch homebrew experience.

And that promoting the guy who arguably caused the most work to be done in varifying his assertions, and did the least work on his own, probably wasn't the best move on wololos part. You provided moving images, wololo needed them to get more views - neither you or wololo cared about the other outcomes that followed.

For your next videos, if you have issues running a build, try to troubleshoot, or ask around what might be causing your issues, before starting to propagate them as "normal behavior" in a video, that then gets traction. Thank you very much.

And for wololos involvement in this - would you mind actually looking at the builds you are writing your news articles about? Or at least stating in your articles, that you did not factcheck, or correctly quote your sources. Apart from the one source that actually gave you problemtic information.

(On a sidenote, I know how youtube monetization models are structured, which I believe is also the reason you copied the "hey guys, lets look at something cool I have" approach of crafting a youtube persona that acts like everyones cool brother. Why people still try this, seeing that the "big bro/big sis online fake relationship" market already is quite saturated - is beyond me. But copying behavior always was a staple of human societies - so I guess, I wish you good luck.)

D

Deleted User

Interesting so i tried this at work today in portable mode and there are no crashes over twenty minutes. Thanks notimp for posting the hash info this is helpful to me and im sure it will help others.

Would i be correct in stating that users with stability are in docked mode or would this be incorrect? Another possible voodoo could be i removed my joycons and blew into the microsd port and kinda cleaned the contacts on my card though they appeared clean from visial inspection. The port did seem to have a bit of dust though. I will laugh if that caused me trouble. I hope this helps others...

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Oh, lovely - the posting stating that @seanp2500 rehosts ktemkins hacking videos on his youtube channel, without linking to where they originate from, and probably without authorization, was removed by one of the mods - because I had a 2 word suggestion (already precensored) for @seanp2500 who broke the last straw with this -

and now its like this din't happen at all. Look at him trying not to look like someone who frequently steals the work of others.

Also do you really think that CALM DOWN should have been the the sentiment you have left, when censoring the information, that the youtube imposter heres prays on the works of others? To me this seems like the worst thing a moderator could have given as a suggestion in this case, while removing this information from the thread.

Last edited by notimp,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh, lovely - the posting stating that @seanp2500 rehosts ktemkins hacking videos on his youtube channel, without linking to where they originate from, and probably without authorization, was removed by one of the mods - because I had a 2 word suggestion (already precensored) for @seanp2500 who broke the last straw with this -

and now its like this din't happen at all. Look at him trying not to look like someone who frequently steals the work of others.

Also do you really think that CALM DOWN should have been the the sentiment you have left, when censoring the information, that the youtube imposter heres prays on the works of others? To me this seems like the worst thing a moderator could have given as a suggestion in this case, while removing this information from the thread.
He explicitly told you that he asked for permission, and that you should stop making assumptions... was that post also deleted?

D

Deleted User

Notimp they also deleted my reply where i explained your assumption is false and that i did contact her and asked to her for info to donate any proceeds. In truth what i did was mirror the stream (not a reupload actually). I watched hours of her work and dicussed it with my viewers. She has very little presence on youtube. I basically helped spread the word about her work. I feel it is positive and yet if Temkin ever asked i would delete every single mirror in a flash. No issue. It was merely there to educate others and let them know someone like this exists.

Look man stay on topic this is why that mod stepped in anyway. When you post you had stability (and other users as well). Are you guys playing in docked or portable mode? It appears that portable mode did not crash (over 2 hours) so its not memory card corruption or the files. Something else is going on. Perhaps res issue? Different tv models? Different docks? No clue. If anything you should thank me because it does turn out atomic looks waaaay better. Let alone the apology i deserve since you were absolutely wrong by your own admission . And no apologizing for joining a bandwagon of 1 does not count...

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You guys must know that @notimp is a good guy, and that he helped in beta testing my stuff, reporting bugs, ideas etc. He did spent a lot of time on this, and I'm thankful for that. So even if he is/was wrong about @seanp2500, he deserve some respect and you can understand why he is personally impacted by the first video, which was not representative of our "work" at all.

Well, that being said, I propose that you guys move to something else :) I'm sure @seanp2500 is not that bad too, we like the same things after all...

Else, to give some little news about the project, didn't have the time to look at audio yet :D I'm in vacation for a week so it will be after that !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1