Homebrew Question Broken homebrew Quake 1,2,3/ Duke Nukem 3D/ Mystery of Solarus

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am running them from within hb menu 3.3 which is installed as nsp. 10.0.2 firmware

Current issues.

- Quake 1 and 2 goes to main menu and I hear sound but can't control anything - I have put
- Quake 3 goes to main menu asks for cd-key and can't seem to put a key in cuz no keyboard/input
- Eduke32 /Duke nukem 3D flashses screen and goes back to homebrew nothing happens - I've put the files in switch directory
- Mystery of Solarus.. The screen is cut off and I can't entirely see the game like 25% is cut off

Do you guys have any tips on these homebrew?

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Were any of these working before? Eduke32 was updated 15 days ago if you didn't update yet.
Have you tried launching hb menu with the r+game instead of thru the nsp version?

I'm on 10.0.0 and have no issues with Duke, either it doesn't work with 10.0.2 or your install isn't set up right. The folder "eduke32" is in your switch folder and all the files are in that?

I'll try installing quake and see if it works fine, are you using the Quakespazm version? I see someone else is having your same issue with NXquake. Love the games but have been playing it in VR so didn't bother to install on switch yet. ;) Now I have a reason to.

No clue on Solarus, haven't tried it yet.

EDIT: Quakespazm works fine so far on 10.0.0. What CFW are you on? I haven't updated Atomsphere from 0.11.1 yet

Last edited by TheCasualties,

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I am running them from within hb menu 3.3 which is installed as nsp. 10.0.2 firmware

Current issues.

- Quake 1 and 2 goes to main menu and I hear sound but can't control anything - I have put
- Quake 3 goes to main menu asks for cd-key and can't seem to put a key in cuz no keyboard/input
- Eduke32 /Duke nukem 3D flashses screen and goes back to homebrew nothing happens - I've put the files in switch directory
- Mystery of Solarus.. The screen is cut off and I can't entirely see the game like 25% is cut off

Do you guys have any tips on these homebrew?
Just tested everything myself (except Mystery of Solarus) on 10.0.2 atmos, everything works as it did before. Read the installation guides and try again, you are doing something wrong. And yeah, for Q1 you should better use Quakespasm.

Reactions: TheCasualties

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have q1,q2,q3 in sd card root.
ioquake3, nxquake2 in root/switch
Installed the nsp's via tinfoil
I didn't do anything wrong I think?

https://f4ke.de/dev/switch/ MysteryOfSolarusDX-GLES.zip solarus-engine-switch-beta-3.zip
MysteryOfSolarusDX folder in sd card root/switch + solarus.nro in root/switch
eduke32 in sd card root/switch

Also Retro Arch I can't do anything aswell. Controls are not working.
But when launched via homemenu it does work.

Something seems wrong with controlls with installed homebrew..
Installed Retroarchu will say 1.75 And HBmenu retroArch 1.8.6
Tried to re-install the nsp doesn't seem to help

This everything was tried on latest SX OS
Then I tried on latest atmosphere and the result was even worse (hardly ever use atmosphere)
Quake 1 was the same
Quake 2-3 didn't boot - crashed atmosphere

In fact even Homebrew menu seems to crash :S so couldn't test.
Eduke32
Myster of Solarus

This is the error I get when trying to open homebrew menu via installed app or via album. (yes I have latest nsp/nro of this)
A black screen saying a fatal error occured when running atmosphere.
Title id 010041544d530000
Error descp: std abort called 0xfe

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I have q1,q2,q3 in sd card root.
ioquake3, nxquake2 in root/switch
Installed the nsp's via tinfoil
I didn't do anything wrong I think?

https://f4ke.de/dev/switch/ MysteryOfSolarusDX-GLES.zip solarus-engine-switch-beta-3.zip
MysteryOfSolarusDX folder in sd card root/switch + solarus.nro in root/switch
eduke32 in sd card root/switch

Also Retro Arch I can't do anything aswell. Controls are not working.
But when launched via homemenu it does work.

Something seems wrong with controlls with installed homebrew..
Installed Retroarchu will say 1.75 And HBmenu retroArch 1.8.6
Tried to re-install the nsp doesn't seem to help

This everything was tried on latest SX OS
Then I tried on latest atmosphere and the result was even worse (hardly ever use atmosphere)
Quake 1 was the same
Quake 2-3 didn't boot - crashed atmosphere

In fact even Homebrew menu seems to crash :S so couldn't test.
Eduke32
Myster of Solarus

This is the error I get when trying to open homebrew menu via installed app or via album. (yes I have latest nsp/nro of this)
A black screen saying a fatal error occured when running atmosphere.
Title id 010041544d530000
Error descp: std abort called 0xfe
Dude, first of all use title redirection, not homebrew NSP (you can use forwarders, but that's on your risk, tho for me all seem to work fine).

Secondly, DO fresh latest atmos install with patches since EVERYTHING is broken for you for some reason... For RA, get the latest stable release from buildbot and launch it only via TITLE REDIRECTION, forger about nsp homebrews, they are not supported.

And third, i'm not gonna type here all the installation guides for quakes, eduke, half-life and all other ports... If you can read, you can easily set everything up since there's every little detail in a guide for a certain port. I followed them myself and got everything working first try (i have half-life, eduke, q1 quakespasm, q2, q3 and some others, all work like a charm on latest atmos).

And finally, if you have problems launching specific homebrew port, there's a thread for each one of them, so go and post your problem to corresponding thread (you can use search for it).

Last edited by bad361,
Reactions: TheCasualties

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dude, first of all use title redirection, not homebrew NSP (you can use forwarders, but that's on your risk, tho for me all seem to work fine).

Secondly, DO fresh latest atmos install with patches since EVERYTHING is broken for you for some reason... For RA, get the latest stable release from buildbot and launch it only via TITLE REDIRECTION, forger about nsp homebrews, they are not supported.

And third, i'm not gonna type here all the installation guides for quakes, eduke, half-life and all other ports... If you can read, you can easily set everything up since there's every little detail in a guide for a certain port. I followed them myself and got everything working first try (i have half-life, eduke, q1 quakespasm, q2, q3 and some others, all work like a charm on latest atmos).

And finally, if you have problems launching specific homebrew port, there's a thread for each one of them, so go and post your problem to corresponding thread (you can use search for it).

Fixed the problems on discord with @bad361

- Problem was I was using wrong files for quake. And quake's latest github has a problem with latest firmware/cfw which makes the controllers not work. Got updated files in thread works dandy now.
- Zelda Solaris seems not up to date to my knowledge the thread seems not alive with other users also having trouble.
- Eduke32 forgot to put files in the folder along side the nro. Which made it not load anything.
But now that i have put everything there. it takes 20 minute to load a level (not joking) with the highres texture installed, have yet to move it out and see if it behaves better.

Also fixed half life installs for homebrew.

So if I can get eduke32 and zelda solaris to work im 100% done with homebrew.

Last edited by Chrisssj2,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: and nvidia is already doing ARM