OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
So, this morning, I had an idea to make a DSTWO plugin/Installer program using VBASIC or C or C++. I have no Idea how to use C or C++ so if someone would point me to a tutorial? I have limited knowledge of BASIC, but all it should do is download a small repository list and display all the plugins. When clicked, all it does is download and install it, similar to Project Scarlet. I wish to do this, but if someone would help my with a small tutorial, i'll give them credit. This will be Open-Source, and here is the SourceForge Link
Anyone who makes plugins can join his project, as well and anyone willing to help, just PM me

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ron975 said:
So, this morning, I had an idea to make a DSTWO plugin/Installer program using VBASIC. I have no Idea how to use C or C++ so if someone would point me to a tutorial? I have limited knowledge of BASIC, but all it should do is download a small repository list and display all the plugins. When clicked, all it does is download and install it, similar to Project Scarlet. I wish to do this, but if someone would help my with a small tutorial, i'll give them credit. This will be Open-Source, and here is the sourceforge link https://sourceforge.net/projects/scarabus/
Anyone who makes plugins can join his project, as well and anyone willing to help, just PM me

http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-6268-1-1.html

has been around a looong time and does pretty much what you're describing. Also does skins.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
personuser said:
ron975 said:
So, this morning, I had an idea to make a DSTWO plugin/Installer program using VBASIC. I have no Idea how to use C or C++ so if someone would point me to a tutorial? I have limited knowledge of BASIC, but all it should do is download a small repository list and display all the plugins. When clicked, all it does is download and install it, similar to Project Scarlet. I wish to do this, but if someone would help my with a small tutorial, i'll give them credit. This will be Open-Source, and here is the sourceforge link https://sourceforge.net/projects/scarabus/

http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-6268-1-1.html

has been around a looong time and does pretty much what you're describing. Also does skins.
No, it doesn't do plugins except for some official ones. BTW, I just had a big fail. Forgot the sourceforge info LOL. Creating a new account with OpenID. The new link should be /projects/Scarabaeus. It's not up yet though

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds interesting... just a suggestion I think you should make an option to download them in iMenu's format also

sadly, i don't really know anything about coding lol, but i hope to change that in future years

i wish you good luck

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well the new Sourceforge is up, it's sourcefore.net/projects/scarabaeusscds2.

I'm downloading the Visual Express iso now.
I have a little experience in BASIC (I coded a launcher that runs external programs) but I lost those files.
My Parents have experience, and I have google, so I'm all set.
But it would be much easier if Project Scarlet was open source... all I would have to do is modify some source files....

Everything will be downloaded through a Database located at sourceforge, so that takes care of the server side. I just need a crapload of plugins and coding the actual program.

Ok, I got everything figured out except the coding. I have iReader at the DB right now, but that will grow to many more in a few minutes. Lets see how much I can do in an hour
BTW, the DB/Repo is here, free for you to browse around right now. I enabled file browsing just for this.
http://scarabaeusscds2.sourceforge.net/plugindb/
Gonna take care of the server-side stuff first. I got the ISO, just need to install
EDIT: I have to get the NDS files in there too. So it'll take a while
EDIT: Lol, some of the best coders here a GBAtemp are reading this
laugh.gif

Would you care to give me some tips? I'm new to coding, but I figured it would be a fairly simple program. It will be a challenge though.
The file Structure is this with /root being scarabaeusscds2.sourceforge.net
Code:
 /root
+PluginDB
ÂÂ +_dstwoplug
ÂÂÂÂ -name of plugin.rar
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ -root.rar (present only when files/folders are required in root)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ +whatever folder should be placed in root.

So if the plugin is Beup the structure would be this

Code:
/root
+PluginDB
ÂÂ +_dstwoplug
ÂÂÂÂ -beup.rar
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ -beup.bmp
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ -beup.plg
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ -beup.ini
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ -root.rar
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ +keyboard
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ -keyboard.bmp
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ -keyboard2.bmp
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ -config
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ+Emoticons
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ-:).bmp
etc...
You get the idea

I just finished putting in the NDS files for plugins 1-D. Thats actually more than half. Uploading now.. *sigh*717 Queued files..

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
squirrelman10 said:
so wait you are making a better version of DS2Tools? but plug-ins only?
Wait, who said anything about making a better version of DS2Tools?

DS2Tools only downloads/installs/updates Skins and Datafiles such as the Kernel, NDSGBA and such.
DS2Tools does not download/instals/updates Plugins.
Definition of Plugins in this matter is everything and anything that can be run through the DSTWO Start menu in this thread
http://gbatemp.net/t229551-scds2-plugins
Also, This is a windows based front-end. Not a DS homebrew.
EDIT: 500 files to go folks
Crap. I just realized, I should zip up everything.
Gotta have to reupload. Atleast now, the'll be less files

Edit: Doing that right now

Check it out there^

Ok, I'm done doing 1-D. Now it's just E-Z that's left.
Going to install Visual Studio express first though.
Edit: Installing Visual Studio C++ now.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Oh gawd. I have no Idea how to use Visual C++. Gonna attempt this using BASIC. urgh.
I mean, I can even make a hello world app Lol
If anyone would actually code a downloader for this using C++, PM me.
If not, wish me luck using VB 2010.
EDIT: I just finished uploading the rest. Every plugin in the full pack (09/2) here: http://gbatemp.net/t229551-scds2-plugins
is up and ready with the NDSfile and all the root files.
Still trying to figure out how to code this...........

ron975 said:
Well the new Sourceforge is up, it's sourcefore.net/projects/scarabaeusscds2.

I'm downloading the Visual Express iso now.
I have a little experience in BASIC (I coded a launcher that runs external programs) but I lost those files.
My Parents have experience, and I have google, so I'm all set.
But it would be much easier if Project Scarlet was open source... all I would have to do is modify some source files....

Everything will be downloaded through a Database located at sourceforge, so that takes care of the server side. I just need a crapload of plugins and coding the actual program.

Ok, I got everything figured out except the coding. I have iReader at the DB right now, but that will grow to many more in a few minutes. Lets see how much I can do in an hour
BTW, the DB/Repo is here, free for you to browse around right now. I enabled file browsing just for this.
Gonna take care of the server-side stuff first. I got the ISO, just need to install
EDIT: I have to get the NDS files in there too. So it'll take a while
EDIT: Lol, some of the best coders here a GBAtemp are reading this
laugh.gif

Would you care to give me some tips? I'm new to coding, but I figured it would be a fairly simple program. It will be a challenge though.
The file Structure is this with /root being scarabaeusscds2.sourceforge.net
Code:
 /root
+PluginDB
ÂÂ +_dstwoplug
ÂÂÂÂ -name of plugin.rar
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ -root.rar (present only when files/folders are required in root)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ +whatever folder should be placed in root.

So if the plugin is Beup the structure would be this

Code:
/root
+PluginDB
ÂÂ +_dstwoplug
ÂÂÂÂ -beup.rar
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ -beup.bmp
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ -beup.plg
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ -beup.ini
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ -root.rar
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ +keyboard
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ -keyboard.bmp
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ -keyboard2.bmp
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ -config
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ+Emoticons
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ-:).bmp
etc...
You get the idea

I just finished putting in the NDS files for plugins 1-D. Thats actually more than half. Uploading now.. *sigh*717 Queued files..

I updated the format.
It now should be
CODE /root
+PluginDB
ÂÂ +_dstwoplug
ÂÂÂÂ -name of plugin.rar
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ+ name of plugin
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ -root.rar (present only when files/folders are required in root)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ +whatever folder should be placed in root.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
If you knew what you were doing it'd be easy.
You're just linking information to a gui. No math or anything to it.

Stormwave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm too busy to help ATM, but i appreciate the concept. I would highly recommend looking into C# rather than C++. It's much more beginner friendly, has lots of classes to help you and is becoming more of a standard in the professional world.

tajio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ron975 said:
So, this morning, I had an idea to make a DSTWO plugin/Installer program using VBASIC or C or C++. I have no Idea how to use C or C++ so if someone would point me to a tutorial? I have limited knowledge of BASIC, but all it should do is download a small repository list and display all the plugins. When clicked, all it does is download and install it, similar to Project Scarlet. I wish to do this, but if someone would help my with a small tutorial, i'll give them credit. This will be Open-Source, and here is the SourceForge Link

Dude if you do this whole thing in VB you'll be my motivator! I'm currently learning to program using Visual Basic in school and where currently making a scientific calculator :/ I don't think I'll be much help but graphics wise I can help you with
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1