Hacking DSTWO iPlayer v.1.0 Released

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Tonitonichopchop said:
If anyone wants a free, user friendly conversion program, I reccomend using Freemake Video Converter.

Tips:

Convert to .avi
Choose XVID
Choose MP3
Cap the file size at the size of the original file

If you do this, you'll get good quality video easily. I'm sure there's a better method, but this is the easiest I found. Also, if you have anime with a .mkv extension, it's super easy to convert it and keep the subtitles. Use "MKV extract GUI" and extract the subs. The convert the video using my above method. Rename the subtitle file so that it matches the name of your video, and change the extension to ".srt"

Example:

One Piece episode 467.avi
One Piece episode 467.srt

And keep them in the same folder. The subs will display and be easily read, and the video should look decent depending on the source.

Can you choose which audio track to convert?

DarkMega NT Warr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
macgeek417 said:
Hm, I tested a 480p MKV (converted/extracted softsubs, those work fine) and it laaaaaaaaaags - like 2 or 3 fps

[Doki-Chihiro] Motto To LOVE-Ru - 03 (848x480 h264 AT-X AAC) [CDEE5B61].mkv

:V

XviDs play perfectly though
LOL, no wonder it lags. Look at the specs of your video. Not only is the resolution 848 x 480 pixels, but the video codec is H.264. People use H.264 a lot when they're sharing video files over the net since it achieves good quality at low file sizes. This of course means that to decode such a codec, the host system requires a lot of processing power to be able to decode fast enough so that the video won't lag (or have a hardware-based H.264 decoder).

To put things in perspective, an MP4 video from YouTube with:
  • a 640 x 480 pixel resolution
  • an H.264 codec video stream
  • an AAC codec audio stream
lags enough on a computer with:
  • a 600 MHz PowerPC G3 processor with 256 KB L2 cache and 100 MHz system bus
  • an ATI RAGE 128 Ultra graphics card with 16 MB SDRAM
  • 1 GB of PC100 SDRAM
to be hard to watch. Considering this, do you really think a Nintendo DS (not DSi since the flash cart runs in DS Compatibility Mode) with a Supercard DSTWO can handle an H.264 video stream with a resolution of 848 x 480 pixels?

canli

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
great release thank you.
The flv files that i download from youtube lag a lot
wink2.gif

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any way to play .MP4 files with this? I downloaded a .MP4 file and the player didn't even show the file. I then renamed it into .AVI and then the player opened the file up and started playing it but its so slow and doesn't have sound.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Jakob95 said:
Any way to play .MP4 files with this? I downloaded a .MP4 file and the player didn't even show the file. I then renamed it into .AVI and then the player opened the file up and started playing it but its so slow and doesn't have sound.
FFFFFFF

File issues have been covered time and time again in the thread.

sorities

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well. I just got the plugin today, tryed quite a few difrent things to try to fix the ol white screen thing, then scanned through this thread and a couple others, seems the problem is just too new to have a good magic bullet fix as of yet, but I did try all the difrent superstition like theorys and trials to get it working, even went over to windows side of the lappy to see if that worked, dragged from both desktops, and changed so many file paths in ini files I'm starting to see in underscores. I even went to get imenu, mostly to see if that fix for it was at all useful on my own thing, it wasnt, but I do like imenu's layout a lot so I think I'll be sticking with it. I hope yall stick with the search to fix it. I guess I'll be just installing v1.1 or something. I was pretty excited to see that the plugin was out finaly but a bit upset by all this crazyness. though, it was fun trying to fix a software problem again, I havent had a hard core hours and hours of computer problems since I started using ubuntu full time, well not since trying to get ddo to work on it anyway. good times. I'll check back in a week or so to see if that bullet had been found. but I wanted to post to thank everyone trying to help out with your solutions to it. good luck.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, to me this isnt terribly more convenient than moonshell..... I got at least 2 TB of vid kicking on my HDDs, and of course, they are all mostly 720 or 1080. Whats the point of downloading lower resolution that will look crappier when i watch them on my TV or computer?

So in the end im down with 3 choices:

RE-Download everything i have in low res so its watchable on my DStwo.

Convert my existing video into low res so they can play on my DStwo....

Which is almost like my 3rd option to convert existing Vid in DPG for Moonshell...

So in the end this only gives me 2 more options but i still have work to do and cant just drag and drop my vid onto my DS : /

Im still glad i bought my SCDS2 but i guess i had unrealistic expectation of this video app lol.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well i know that but whats the max resolution the cart is able to downsize and play properly?

Im doing some test atm but if i could get some input from other user that would be great. I'm looking for the best compromise to be watchable on the DS as well as on my computer or TV lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo