Hacking DSTT for $11.07, real or fake?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now that you can buy an Acekard 2 from dealextreme without a microSD reader for $12.99 ($13.99 with a reader), I can't think of a reason most people would want to buy a DSTT instead.

-Bri

Saladman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
Now that you can buy an Acekard 2 from dealextreme without a microSD reader for $12.99 ($13.99 with a reader), I can't think of a reason most people would want to buy a DSTT instead.

-Bri

The DSTT runs roms better. Gets great results with nearly all mem cards.

Isaiah

The Conductor
Trophies
XP
Country
is a dstt better than a r4???
wacko.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Saladman said:

And yet it doesn't even sort them alphabetically or display folders, and the menu system is laggy when scrolling.

Almost all carts run almost all ROMs with almost all microSD cards, and the Acekard 2 is no exception. The Acekard 2 menu system is far better than the DSTT's.

@Kuraudo39: Yes, the DSTT is better than the R4, but that's not saying much. CycloDS, Acekard 2, Edge, or SCDS1 are all far better than the DSTT.

-Bri

kjean

Trophies
Website
homeless
XP
Country
Bri said:
Saladman said:

And yet it doesn't even sort them alphabetically or display folders, and the menu system is laggy when scrolling.

Almost all carts run almost all ROMs with almost all microSD cards, and the Acekard 2 is no exception. The Acekard 2 menu system is far better than the DSTT's.

@Kuraudo39: Yes, the DSTT is better than the R4, but that's not saying much. CycloDS, Acekard 2, Edge, or SCDS1 are all far better than the DSTT.

-Bri
Hello? far better? but what about YSMenu?
it has DSTT core but same OS menu that borrowed or stolen from AK2.
blink.gif

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to compare AK2 2.1+ next to new DSTT. I've ordered 4 of the new AK2 compact edition from DX to test. Let's see if they're any better.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
kjean said:
Bri said:
Saladman said:

-Bri
Hello? far better? but what about YSMenu?
blink.gif

Other than the game fixes and the R4-like look, not much is really improved.

Saladman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
layzieyez said:
I'd like to compare AK2 2.1+ next to new DSTT. I've ordered 4 of the new AK2 compact edition from DX to test. Let's see if they're any better.

Test out the problem roms that rely on a very good speed setup. You will see the DSTT does run roms better than the acekard2. I've done it myself, even with the latest speed fix firmware my acekard2 stutters on the 'castlevania test' with a DX bought Kingston 2GB mem card (probably fake), same mem card runs it faultlessly on DSTT.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Bri obviously knows more about flash carts than me, but the problems with the DSTT OS really dont bother me.
Drivesort fixes the sorting issue, I could add moonshell myself if I wanted features other than game loading (I have a PSP if I wanted video or picture viewing), and I thought I wasn't even experiencing the lag other have complained about until Bri confirmed the minor slowdown in scrolling is what they were referring to.

Over 170 items and the menu still works fine for me, just make sure the files aren't on the root of the card (put them all in a folder called 'games' or something).
Great compatibility, haven't noticed any in-game slowdown on my 8GB class 4 sandisk, 4gGB class 2 sandisk, or 2GB kingston (unknown class) from DX.

Other carts are certainly better in many people's opinions, DSTT does all I want and for the price I'm very happy indeed.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZE WHAT DO PEOPLE WANT BLOOD ?!?!

its an $11 ds card beggars cannot be choosers its a budget card IDEAL for kids/first timers PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO SPEND A CRAP LOAD OF CASH!!!

if your happy with it then great ..if not SEND IT BACK!

YES IT HAS A FEW FLAWS ... but so do OTHER cards!!!

as above SEE BUDGET PRICE!
smile.gif

[/RANT MODE OFF]

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kjean said:
blink.gif

Sorry, no. YSMenu is NOT the same menu as the AK2. Not even close. It's similar to the R4 menu. YSMenu will also run on the AK2 (although I don't know why you'd want to) so maybe that's the source of your confusion.

QUOTE(kobykaan @ Sep 30 2008, 07:08 AM) GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZE WHAT DO PEOPLE WANT BLOOD ?!?!

its an $11 ds card beggars cannot be choosers its a budget card IDEAL for kids/first timers PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO SPEND A CRAP LOAD OF CASH!!!

The Acekard 2 is only $13.99 and certainly worth the extra $3 in my opinion.

-Bri

Icetron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay this is the one I ordered. http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15613

Just received it today. I haven't tested it out yet since I can't find my spare microSD.

How can I tell if it's fake? I'm still confused.

The part where the microSD card goes in doesn't show the circuit board on this one. Near the grill part I think it says "DSTT 6" though. Also have a small logo/image indented into the plastic on the back of the card.

EDIT: Found my microSD, the card seems to work so far.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit