.dsm format

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by md324, Jan 3, 2008.

Jan 3, 2008

.dsm format by md324 at 4:52 AM (4,408 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. md324
    OP

Newcomer md324 Member

Canada
    I was wandering if R4 can play .dsm movies? [​IMG]

2. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    Nope.

Pretty sure the DS can only play videos in the (.dpg) and (.avi) format.

~Nero

3. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Yea, you need DSMPlayer. But the format sucks ass, just use dpg

4. md324
    OP

Newcomer md324 Member

Canada
    Thanks for the replies. So what's the best program to convert to .dpg?

5. sylux92

Member sylux92 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    BatchDPG gives the best quality and more control, DPGTools is the easiest.

6. Keitaro Urashima

Newcomer Keitaro Urashima Advanced Member

Philippines
    Yes, it can. Problem is the storage. 30 min movie cost 350 to 450 MB. I prefer using dpg instead dsm.

7. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    dsm doesn't suck us.... if you have enough free space to store the conveted video lol.

8. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    But isnt that stupid that video on the ds with dsm format have bigger filesize that this same video before conversion with better resolution on pc.

9. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Yes, the DSM format has no compression. It's basically just a rapid sucession of RAW images. And that last time I checked, it had many artifacts.

10. johnny9562001

Newcomer johnny9562001 Member

United States

no its no stupid at all, you should make deeper examinations want judging something or critizing it, dpg is crap period! i dont care what no one else says its crap. there is to many artifacts, blockyness and shadowing problems when watching converted animes, and the videos i have use are pretty much equivalent to dvd quality so there is no excuse for the crap i get, ive tried all settings its crap just like batchdpg. in the other hand, dsm has been in my opinon one of the best high quality video converters ive ever seen, i compare many converted dsm videos in the highest quality to other batchdpg and dpg high quality converted videos, and they didnt even get close to the quality of dsm(im not talking about m3's dsm, its different and that is also crap)

the dsm has better sharpness, and very vibrant colors, and no blockyness or shadowing. its like they said " good things cost money, well good videos cost space in this case alot of space because of its superior quality. i wish they could make the videos at least 2/3 smaller, that the only advantage dpg has, that dsm is about 10x the size of a dpg file. [​IMG]

11. md324
    OP

Newcomer md324 Member

Canada
    Wow! I appreciate your responses guys.
    There is no need to start a fight. I just wanted your opinions. ^^

12. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    From what I read at a GBAdev thread, it has some lossless compression for each individual frame, but not much.

johnny9562001, I've converted anime to DPG before, using high-quality settings, and got about 50 MB per episode. I found them to be very watchable, and I barely noticed any artifacts. I guess it's a matter of personal taste, really.

Other alternatives to DPG include the EMC file format, and AVI (specially formatted) to play in tuna-viDS.

13. johnny9562001

United States
    i downloaded tuna vid but i have no idea how the hell to convert the videos for, i know you need ffmpeg but i downloaded, and its pretty much a folder with no files to open, and where do you write this command

ffmpeg -i -f avi -r 10 -s 256x192 -b 192k -bt 64k -vcodec libxvid -deinterlace
    -acodec libmp3lame -ar 32000 -ab 96k -ac 1 tuna-vids.avi

14. Eierkuchen

Newcomer Eierkuchen Member

Germany
    At first you whine about bad dpg quality and now you cannot use the cmd. [​IMG]:D
    You really think yoo converted your dpgs right?

15. johnny9562001

United States
    i did tried you using command prompt but i got nowhere, and if you think you have good settings for high dpg quality, than please tell me. i ve wanted to convert a high quality dpg but when i use people settings i get crap, ive messed with the video bitrate, mencode at high, change the blur and light, the frames. ive converted about 200 videos using settings and got sick of it.

so if someone thinks they have high quality dpgs, please tell me your setting or upload one of your dpgs if not than i guess its to bad. its like Dan said though, its just taste, im really not satisfied at all with dpg or batch dpg, dsm is beautiful to just to big.

and also whose whining??? i just said my experience with dpg and how crappy it is and how dsm work wonderfully. also you dont need to know cmd to convert videos with batchdpg, dpg and dsm, so how the hell i am supposed to know cmd.

16. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Well, there is a good chance that DanTheManMS was using a very old version of BatchDPG, or even DPGTools. Remember people: BatchDPG 1.3 beta 4.5 is the newest!

17. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    I think that if someone want that hi quality really bad, than better step would be to buy a portable divx player with infernal screen, rather than having very large microsdhc only to watch couple of full lenght movies in dsm format.
    Dsm is only good maybe for short movies like vodeoclips or 20 minute anime episode, but you cannot load subtitles to that dsm converter and you can load subtitles to batchdpg. As for the blockiness i use batchdpg 1.3 ,Avisynth_257 , net framework 2.0 , and always latest ffdshow and k-lite codecs, plus
    that batch dpg settings

Fullscreen
    FPS: 20
    Video bitrate: 386
    Max bitrate: 512
    Passes: 3
    Profile: Ultra
    Resizer - Spline16
    Width: 256
    Height: 192
    Audio bitrate: 128
    Samplerate: 32768
    Mode: Joint Stereo
    Normalize: On

And I encounter blockines very rarely

As example I can give one youtube clip that I converter
    there is only 2-3 bad video moments, rest is clear and beautiful for me

Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/81537614/YouTube_Is_My_Life.dpg.html

18. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Two things.

1. BatchDPG doesn't support the DPG3 format, only DPG2, and moonshell 1.71 will not play DPG2 well. I use DPGtools all the time now (except for when converting very small clips which i use with moonshell 1.6)

2. DSM uses "Motion Jpeg" if i remember correctly.
    JPEG is a lossy compression format, but DSM videos still look well.

19. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Wha? I said I was able to get very high video quality. Did you mention the wrong person?

I've been using the latest version of BatchDPG (1.3 Beta 4.5) with the following settings:
    FPS: 20
    Video bitrate: 386
    Max bitrate: 512
    Passes: 3
    Profile: Ultra
    Resizer - Spline16
    Width: 256
    Height: 192
    Audio bitrate: 128
    Samplerate: 32768
    Mode: Joint Stereo
    Normalize: On

It takes a long time to encode, true, but the video quality is very good.

DPGTools 13 can also encode decent videos when using the slower, high-quality profile. I still prefer BatchDPG, but it's an option.

20. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    Heh, I use the same settings on BatchDPG as Dan.
    On my Home PC it takes FOREVER. Around 20-30 minutes.. AMD 64 X2 4800+ [​IMG]

~Nero