LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey everyone!
So I currently have a REALLY old R4 for my DS Lite. Ik there are some DSi hacks but except using a R4, can I hack a DS Lite somehow? Thank you :D

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Realistically, you're going to be using a flash cart for anything serious.

You can play games with it. Wild concept, innit?

Apparently it is possible to flash the unit to remove the Health and Safety screen at bootup.

For the record, it is via Flashme. Another advantage to Flashme is that it offers brick protection.

It also removes some DRM in the built in download system as well IIRC, but you might as well just use a flash cart.

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can do a lot of things with a DS Lite, of course depending on your flashcard and if you add a memory expansion pack, you can do more.

First of all, it is necessary to know if your flashcard is SDHC or not, in which case you will have to prepare one or more micro SD cards according to your wishes of course.

From what I understand you are starting from a configuration of an R4 without memory expansion pack, we can therefore exclude the possibilities that a DSTwo would have offered you, but it doesn't matter already just with a simple R4 you can do a lot.

Last year, I had fun making a little pdf illustrating the possibilities of a DS Lite with an R4 combined with a memory expansion pack, I'll leave this as an attachment.

Without a memory expansion pack, it doesn't change much, you will still be able to get most things working.

Since this pdf, my configuration has evolved, we can add to everything that is already mentioned, Fake-8 (pico-8), UNXDS (UNX VM), MegaZeux (DOS games), GZOIS (Sharp PC-E500), DS -HPCALC (HP11C & HP16C), some ports like Raptor, Cave Story mods and other little things...

I forgot to mention it but we can count the Famicom System Disk which is included with NesDS and also arcade game systems with S8DS.

So to summarize, you can run around 70 different systems on DS Lite more or less correctly with an R4

You can find all this on the forum and on GameBrew

https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/List_of_DS_homebrew_applications

Attachments

• NDS-Retro-Pixels-Edition-v2.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited by Indy13,

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can do a lot of things with a DS Lite, of course depending on your flashcard and if you add a memory expansion pack, you can do more.

First of all, it is necessary to know if your flashcard is SDHC or not, in which case you will have to prepare one or more micro SD cards according to your wishes of course.

From what I understand you are starting from a configuration of an R4 without memory expansion pack, we can therefore exclude the possibilities that a DSTwo would have offered you, but it doesn't matter already just with a simple R4 you can do a lot.

Last year, I had fun making a little pdf illustrating the possibilities of a DS Lite with an R4 combined with a memory expansion pack, I'll leave this as an attachment.

Without a memory expansion pack, it doesn't change much, you will still be able to get most things working.

Since this pdf, my configuration has evolved, we can add to everything that is already mentioned, Fake-8 (pico-8), UNXDS (UNX VM), MegaZeux (DOS games), GZOIS (Sharp PC-E500), DS -HPCALC (HP11C & HP16C), some ports like Raptor, Cave Story mods and other little things...

I forgot to mention it but we can count the Famicom System Disk which is included with NesDS and also arcade game systems with S8DS.

So to summarize, you can run around 70 different systems on DS Lite more or less correctly with an R4

You can find all this on the forum and on GameBrew

https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/List_of_DS_homebrew_applications
i would never thought a ds could do so much things! ty!!!

Reactions: Indy13

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I currently have a REALLY old R4 for my DS Lite.
Your DS lite can play DSiWare titles given that you have the Memory Expansion Pack as well. To do this, you will need to install TWiLight Menu++.

can I hack a DS Lite somehow?
If you mean hack the physical firmware, then you can use FlashMe v8a. It doesn't really serve a purpose nowadays, since back then, it was used to boot a GBA flashcart in slot-2 as a way to play DS games. Flashcards like the R4 and its clones are much better in comparison.

@rvtr had also done work on replacing the firmware flash chip, that is stored in the WiFi card, with a much larger one around 512kb to make way for iQue firmware. Only difference between the retail and iQue firmware is that the larger space is used for Chinese characters and the like.

Reactions: rvtr

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
@rvtr had also done work on replacing the firmware flash chip, that is stored in the WiFi card, with a much larger one around 512kb to make way for iQue firmware. Only difference between the retail and iQue firmware is that the larger space is used for Chinese characters and the like.
Yep. I've written a guide for that here.

Having a DS lite is great. If you mess up the firmware and brick it, just pop in a new WiFi board. You can get those for dirt cheap.

Reactions: SylverReZ

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Homebrew brings a whole new meaning of "What can I do".

You could use Colors! DS and take a grasp at how Digital Painting works.
You could use Licks Media Player and turn your DS into an iPod that works even in sleep mode.
You could use NitroTracker or KORG games and make music with your touchscreen.
You could use My-Coach series to learn another language.
You could use your DS to properly tune your guitar.
You could use your DS to read PDF's, Comics, Books, or even edit these files.
You could use your DS to play emulated games.

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Your DS lite can play DSiWare titles given that you have the Memory Expansion Pack as well. To do this, you will need to install TWiLight Menu++.
TwiLight comes with a .nds file, right? I installed it on my 3DS some times ago.

About the Expansion Pack, what's the price of a used one? Cuz I already bought a Gamecube, I don't know if my parents will allow something else :rofl2:
Post automatically merged:

Homebrew brings a whole new meaning of "What can I do".

You could use Colors! DS and take a grasp at how Digital Painting works.
You could use Licks Media Player and turn your DS into an iPod that works even in sleep mode.
You could use NitroTracker or KORG games and make music with your touchscreen.
You could use My-Coach series to learn another language.
You could use your DS to properly tune your guitar.
You could use your DS to read PDF's, Comics, Books, or even edit these files.
You could use your DS to play emulated games.
Licks seems cool

With GBARunner3 on the horizon, you may even have one of the better ways to play backups of your GBA games on your DS Lite available to you sometime in the not-too-distant future.
hmm seems interesting

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
About the Expansion Pack, what's the price of a used one? Cuz I already bought a Gamecube, I don't know if my parents will allow something else
Maybe you should consider playing the games you already have rather than getting more stuff you're probably not going to use..? I also don't know why you're asking about prices since unless you're ordering online, aren't you just going to have to pay the local market price?

The memory expansion was included with the Opera Browser. Third-party alternatives include the EZFlash 3-in-1, so named because it includes a GBA flashcard, rumble pak, and memory expansion all in one.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You could sell it. Anything you can do on the DS Lite, you can most likely just do on your phone anyway.
Not what the OP asked for.

transform it into a gameboy macro
Then you wouldn't be able to play DS games. What a pointless mod, just use it as intended.

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe you should consider playing the games you already have rather than getting more stuff you're probably not going to use..? I also don't know why you're asking about prices since unless you're ordering online, aren't you just going to have to pay the local market price?

The memory expansion was included with the Opera Browser. Third-party alternatives include the EZFlash 3-in-1, so named because it includes a GBA flashcard, rumble pak, and memory expansion all in one.
I live in Italy and literally NO ONE mods their consoles. Today I installed android on my switch and my friends thought I was joking.

Reactions: SylverReZ

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not what the OP asked for.

The topic is literally "What can I do with a DS Lite?". Selling it is something they can do with it. Not sure why that is difficult for you. Not to mention, messing with it is just a waste of time imo. So much easier to just use their phone for mp3s, roms, digital painting, making music, learning another language, tuning a guitar, reading pds, and everything else mentioned.

Reactions: Kwyjor and Xdqwerty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto