OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dennisvanzwieten.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi all, I decided to enter my game DSLiero into the homebrew bounty.

Download: DSLiero.rar
Screenies:
screenies.png

DSLiero is a remake of the popular DOS game Liero.

UPDATES:

12-02-19
- Updated to new libnds (mostly fat-related)
- Added icon
- Added custom graphics support
- Added options version check
- Added stats screen (hold select in-game)
- Added better keyboard for level saving
- Auto-load level and gfx on startup
- Made bullet/object AABB smaller
- Fixed team member bugs
- Changed flag/base colors
- Prevented weapon name overflow in weapon softbuttons
- Changed message font (added lowercase)
- Changed menu structure
- Modified bg draw code
- Removes 2px scrolling issue
- Should be faster
- Prevented sprites outside visible space from being drawn
- Health bonus min value changed to 10%
- Removed 'Exit' option in menu
- Fixed several small bugs
- Initial bullet distance
- Copy level on exit level editor
- Weapons like Cannon and Hellraider fixed
- Site updated
- Removed login requirement to upload your content
- Enabled gfx upload
- Uploaded GFX converter

See the README.txt included in the download for the complete changelog and a 'user manual'.

GAMEPLAY:
There are 5 different game modes to choose from:
- Kill 'em All: Default deathmatch game
- Team DM: Team Deathmatch game
- CTF: Capture the flag game. Kill opponents to be able to capture flags
- Simple CTF: Capture the flag game without need to kill opponents first
- Game of Tag: When you're IT, a timer starts running. When this timer runs out, you're out of the game

FEATURES:
- Gameplay nearly identical to original
- Built-in level editor
- All* of the original weapons (see TODO)
- All of the original sounds
- Custom theme support
- Custom graphics support
- Fully customizable controls
- Stylus aiming
- Map display on top screen

TODO:
- Random level generation
- Custom sound support
- Fix laser weapon types
- Update AI
- Multiplayer (wifi/nifi)
- Worm options

Reactions: Tarmfot

Schmendrick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dennisvanzwieten.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The game itself is easy enough: Just walk around and shoot opponent worms in a 2D destructible level.

It does however have a lot of (simple) customization options which allow you to create any kind of game match you want.

It is in fact a remake of an old DOS game: liero website

If you're still not sure, just try it out on default settings and see if you like it! The download comes with everything you'll initially need.

Schmendrick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dennisvanzwieten.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ravenius said:
Awesome, I've got to try this one out. I used to love Liero.

Good to have another follower! It seems the Liero love has died out some..

Anyways, a relatively small update for you, but a major update for me:

- Digging distance shortened
- Worm bounding box modified to be more like the original
- Changed Game of Tag messages
- Removed level selection
- Added simplifying debugging options to the game (nothing the user will see though)

As always, download link and more info in the first post or on the DSLiero website.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
its more that this community seems somewhat introverted towards homebrew and a few speak for the many. i don't really know how that a happened. perhaps the ds and flash kits just made homebrew usage to easy and people got bored discussing it?. if you check a few older communities (virtual boy, atari, even dreamcast) you will find a group of friends who love to beta test and get enthusiastic towards new projects.

the less people that talk in the nds community, usually indicateds the better you are doing. take the quiet as a sign that you did something right =).

i think this is a great project and you have put forth a wonderful effort. good luck with the judging.

-another world

BigLord

Trophies
XP
Country
I had never heard of this game before and, thanks to this game, I think I fell in love. Worms gameplay, without turn-based gameplay? AWESOME! And I can't believe that this game basically inspired Soldat
biggrin.gif
I loved that game.

Thank YOU very much sir, for bringing this game to the DS. I love playing it. This homebrew competition is the best competition on the entire internet
happy.gif

Schmendrick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dennisvanzwieten.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Another World: I have noticed that in other areas as well. There is less and less community activity as time goes on. Very few homebrew games and applications are actually finished, and there are only a small amount of active members on the development boards.
I wasn't necessarily referring to my remake, though; most 'official' liero websites have either been taken down or are not active at all. General interest in the game has decreased to nearly nothing:
See Google Trends.

Everyone: Thanks for the positive replies, it's nice to know my hard work is appreciated
biggrin.gif
DSLiero started out as a personal project solely out of nostalgia for the original, but I hope more and more people will enjoy the game. The reason I'm hosting the DSLiero website is to 'connect' people, in a way, as sort of a free platform to share all user generated content; which is pretty much what made the original the awesome game that it is.

Which brings me to the following:
In the past month and a half or so that the site has been online, there have been 0 user uploads, no one has even registered on the site. Do you believe there is a particular reason for this? I think the game would be much more enjoyable if everyone would share their creations. I tried making this as easy and quick as possible while preventing garbage uploads by using a simple registration form. I know not everyone likes registering at every single website, but what would you suggest to boost user activity?

About DSLiero multiplayer:
I REALLY want to put this into the game, but I cannot find any reliable wireless libraries anywhere.
The default initializer alone for dswifi comes with a 100k memory leak..
Does anyone know of a good library that allows both nifi and wifi comms?

Other than that, any suggestions or bug reports to the game or website are always welcome, of course.

Reactions: Tarmfot

BigLord

Trophies
XP
Country
I wanted to report something: the game gets REAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY slow after some time. I'd guess it's because of all the projectiles in the game, because if you restart the match the game is as smooth as baby skin.

Schmendrick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dennisvanzwieten.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
BigLord: I am aware of slowdowns in the game when the amount of objects reaches about 200, but it shouldn't run at less than 30fps. As soon as the amount of in-game object gets below 200 it should start running smoothly again. I will try to work on this issue when I have the time; I'm quite busy these days (graduating, trying to find a job, moving out, etc).

If it does reach a lower framerate than 30fps or does not return to normal after a while, could you please post your settings and the weapons that were used, so that I can reproduce it (AI with big nuke == framerate death..).

I have uploaded a debug version so that you can see the CPU worm's weapons as well. Press L+R+SELECT at any time to bring up the debug menu, where you can view and edit various values. The worm's weapons can be found in GAME CHEATS->WORM X->WEAPONS after starting a game. To exit, press B. Note that this is not an official release and may contain bugs (and features) not found in the previously released version.

Thanks for the report!

BigLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the answer. Afaik, it doesn't drop below 30fps, yeah... well maybe a little, but it just feels really slow compared to the previous speed (which is, of course, amazing).

Keep your mind on those more important issues
smile.gif

NamoNakamura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I could make a suggestion that may improve speed - have an option to turn off gibs or have them disappear after awhile? I only notice major slow down when there are a bunch of gibs and shrapnel on the screen.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying this. The stylus control is great, too! Really makes the game more enjoyable.

Schmendrick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dennisvanzwieten.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I hadn't really experienced the 30fps framerate much the last time I posted here; It does seems awfully slow in comparison. It stayed in the 30fps range after a while due to a memory leak, which will be fixed in the next version.

NamoNakamura: Good to know you're enjoying it. I have actually been looking for a way to subtly remove non-damaging graphics and particles. Not so subtle solutions work, and hardly make it drop lower than 40, which is reasonable. Still trying to make it faster though. An option to turn them off completely might be a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Schmendrick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dennisvanzwieten.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Update!
Please see first post for changes.

Note that I removed the required registration from the website, so now anyone can upload their files without problems. Hopefully this will stimulate the user content some.

A small note on the 'laser' type weapons:
I'm not sure how exactly these weapons work. From what I can see they're the same as 'normal' type weapons, but about 3-4 times faster. Also it's impossible to create the 'Laser' weapon from scratch in the original Liero. I've made an identical copy of all weapon properties, but I get a completely different weapon. I guess I'll just have to leave this one out :(

Another note:
It's now possible to spam Big Nukes on 1% loading times indefinitely! Oh, the joy of complete destruction. The only drawback is that the framerate will drop to about 10fps, but it never crashes!

Yet another note:
The current upload is a debug version. This means you get to see some debug info at the top-right of the screen, as well as access to the debug menu (L+R+Select). This allows you to play around with some values within the game (gravity, worm properties, theme data, etc) if you feel like it.
If the game ever crashes (I haven't experienced it.. yet), please tell me the debug info at the top right corner, and send me the console.log file in the /data/DSLiero/ folder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: what's up woke boy