Hacking DSL Dilemma

BigBoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I really want to buy myself a DS Lite, and due to people reporting that the various coloured options can show up a lot of smudges, I was going to go with a white one. But now I hear that this first batch of white DSL's might have an inferior build quality, with button problems showing up and some looseness with different parts. I read another thread where a member of GBAtemp said that he had compared a few white and black DSL's and could confirm there was a difference in build quality.

Basically, since I like to have a system that stays looking as clean as possible, I would still like to get a white one. My question is whether I should wait a bit for a second batch of White DSL's that might have an improved quality akin to the black DSL's, or whether people think that the next batch could have the same problems anyway. Also, since I am located in Australia, are there any Aussie GBAtemp'ers who could report on the quality of their white/black DSL's?

I'm leaning toward just getting one anyway as I'm jealous of everyone raving about their nifty new Lite's
wub.gif
but if anyone has reports of an inferior product I will have to try and hold myself back for a while. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I bought my white DS Lite on launch and I'm very happy with it. The volume slider is a tad loose but that's it, a lot of people are reporting that too so it's not anything unique. It doesn't bother me at all.

Litewt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
same as Opium, got it on launch date and only thing is the volume slider is really sensitive (not enough to bother you though). Its still a great system, but damn its volume is low.

charlestgarcia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its funny, I noticed my White Launch DS Lite's volume slider is sensitve, but ITS LOUD! SO I pretty much either play with volume off or volume loud. Otherwise... I LOVE MY DS! (I don't even play my PSP anymore, its become my music player :-p)

BigBoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the input and info guys, after reading your comments my mind was put at rest and I went out and snagged the last DS Lite they had in at my local EB
biggrin.gif

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
After a week I have noticed something im not happy with.
The bottom right side of the touch screen was not stuck down or put in place properly. This means when pressed, it goes into the console.
It also creates a weak point within the ds lite, which leads to other parts of the screen making a "creaking" sound when pressure is applied. I believe in the long term it will shorten the life of the console.

Im not happy with it, and will be getting an exchange.

My old blue ds seems to have greater quality control, as I could not fault it, other than the scratchable screen. THe ds lite has not seen a single scratch, even with games such as meteos.

Kezz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
After a week I have noticed something im not happy with.
The bottom right side of the touch screen was not stuck down or put in place properly. This means when pressed, it goes into the console.
It also creates a weak point within the ds lite, which leads to other parts of the screen making a "creaking" sound when pressure is applied. I believe in the long term it will shorten the life of the console.

Im not happy with it, and will be getting an exchange.

That's a common "flaw", if you could say so. For me it's happening in the left hand corner. Actuallay most, if not all, white DS lites appear to have this problem. My first japanese DS lite had it at well, so seeing that US and European versions have the same problem, it's surely not something which could shorten the lifespan of your DS lite. I'd say: Keep it, you will probably end up with getting another "creaky" version instead
smile.gif

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got 2 (sorta 3) lites on launch here in US. The first one I bought was built fine, no screen "creeking" or bending or sliding. It did have a dead pixel though. After I flashed it, I took it back to game stop and returned it for another one. My new one has no issues whatsoever, and my gf's lite has a very very small 1/4 of a stuck pixel. Nothing wrong with either of the screens sliding or anything like that. Both are white because here in the US we got screwed.

compi_

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The only thing I'm very disappointed about is the freaking D pad, I really don't like it!
And for the fingerprints, I have a black one and you can only see them in certain lightning.

SkuiD87

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Man you guys freaked the crap outta me with that screen bending stuff! I quickly rushed out my DS Lite to check! Luckily I've no probs, screen is perfect, as if everything else with my lovely black DS Lite.

Anyone looking to get a DS Lite (in Europe), I would definately reccomend getting a black one. Aside from looking so damn slick n sexy...the build quality is more or less perfect. Havn't come across any defects in any black DSLites (other than some reports of dead pixels that were exchanged without problems).
As compi said, the fingerprints really aint that big of an issue. If you don't wipe it for a few weeks then of course it'll get ugly. But an odd wipe every few days and you'll be fine.

Either way though, DSLite is a DSLite....and it ROCKS!

I havn't touched my PSP in ages either...it don't even serve as a music player, I have my iPod for both music and portable video.

yaynds.gif

inter4ever

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well i have got a black NDSL and i have a problem with the dpad,diagnonal doesnt response quite well,i am really finding it hard to move in MMBN6,it also makes a strange sound sometimes when its pressed,other than that my lite is perfect,the screen and the volume slider are ok and fingerprints arent that bad

kvad

Trophies
Website
www.dynamitepig.com
XP
Country
I've just got a minor issue with the volume control. It feels flimsy maybe I had one that was defective but I've heard most other people have this issue as well.

No big deal though easy enough to live with.

Another minor thing, I liked how the GBA SP 'snapped' into place and down as well. The DS lite is missing that.

geolyte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have an European White DS lite,

the "volume problem" was something i realized directly after i used it first but its nothing so important to mention it..

I think there are noch differences in the Quality of the White and Black NDSlite.. there are just more reports of "broken" white ndsl cause much more white were sold..

Why should there be a difference?? makes no sense, its just a different colouer, same producing-proceduer

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, the volume slider seems loose on mine too but I don't have any problems with the touchscreen. All the little "flaws" with the white DSL are negligible and don't bother you at all so, if you want one, I say just go ahead and get one!
wink.gif

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
my friend with a black ds lite has trouble with his R button...
and his touchscreen is kinda loose in one corner...

I on the other hand have no trouble at all..
biggrin.gif

while im at it.. i should ask, which is the cheapest passme which works for european black ds lite?
smile.gif

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I exchanged my White DS Lite, for a model that feels better built, but does not look as well put together. Foe example, if you look at the back of the DS, you see a line across the matt hinge that holds the top half of the screen together. The gap the line makes seems wider than the previous ds.

Plus, when opening the console, it now "snaps" into place instead of just slipping into position. This gives it a better quality feel.

The screen does not creak anymore, but the right hand side of the touch screen is still loose and goes into the console, which I so not mind as much as the creaking.

Offtopic*
It was interesting to see that the glass cabinet holding the DS Lites, had slightly more blacks in stock than whites. They were selling pretty evenly. You couldn't imagine any game store in the uk, selling out of ds lites anytime soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.