DSi incompatible with existing flash carts?

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Oh god, if we're going to be getting into the whole firmware update cat-and-mouse crap like the PSP and Wii has, I'm just going to keep my DS Lite solely for homebrew. I really can't be assed to keep dodging "killer firmwares" just so I can play ports of games and apps I've been playing/using on big/older screens for ages.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Toni Plutonij said:
Sjaool said:
If there is a whitelist it is the weak spot in the protection of the DSi.
Actually, I'm thinking that would be a strong point of protection.....Because DSi will be booting only, and only games that are "registered" there..
Hardly, that would probably work using the header which can be faked. I suggest everyone just waits a little while (or just buy an old DS if they want to use their homebrew, naturally though you would mis the 2 cameras and the SD slot) until someone tests all things (no passthrough has been tested for example). Or at least someone with more in depth knowlidge looks at it
wink.gif

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Dunny said:
Toni Plutonij said:
...so DSi would think that he's booting NSMB, but it would actually be a game...

I might make this my new .sig...

D.
rofl2.gif

Sorry, my mistake....I've corrected it..

And yeah....waiting for few more hours will probably bring us a lot of info!!

mortys

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
It was evident that flashcard will not run on DSi as their firmware use some part of the old DS firmware. As the DSi as a diffrenet one, it seems logic that flashcart don't work. Maybe if somebody succeed in making "Real Fake" DS carts or dump the DSi firmware, things will change.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's quite normal for flashcarts that skip the health screen and DS menu. very simple for Nintendo to block this.
smile.gif

For the EZ5 it's not the end of the world because the team can update the boostrap on this flashcart.

pepone1234

Trophies
XP
Country
Toni Plutonij said:
Sjaool said:
If there is a whitelist it is the weak spot in the protection of the DSi.
Actually, I'm thinking that would be a strong point of protection.....Because DSi will be booting only, and only games that are "registered" there..

But this would be a bit simple to do a trick with it. You only have to modify the flashcart as if it were an "old" DS game and the dsi would probably boot it without problems. I don't think the only problem is about the headers that are able to boot.
I think the system of the dsi has something more sophisticated to identify flashcarts.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
ahh...now we see the TRUE purpose of this DSi....its just a cop out to stop flashcards...just as my inside Nintendo Intel said so...

"to Greatly Reduce Piracy"

DON'T BUY THIS MOTHER ***KER!..DON'T LET NINTENDO WIN!

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The following carts, along with the R4 DS and EZ V DO NOT WORK ON THE DSi

CycloDS - Failed
G6 DS Real - Failed
M3 DS Real - Failed
Supercard DS One - Failed
iTouch DS - Failed
FCard - Failed
NCard - Failed
M3 DS Simply - Failed
U2DS - Failed

There are also LIVE (mandatory?) updates to the DSi firmware when you enter the Shop or Settings menu, much like the Wii.

The d-pad and buttons are not clicky (which I had hoped!) they are just like the DS Lite buttons, but are improved a little (hopefully better diagonals).

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
shaunj66 said:

CycloDS - Failed
G6 DS Real - Failed
M3 DS Real - Failed
iTouch DS - Failed
FCard - Failed
NCard - Failed
M3 DS Simply - Failed
U2DS - Failed

There are also LIVE (mandatory?) updates to the DSi firmware when you enter the Shop or Settings menu, much like the Wii.
LIVE sounds more like you simply get the update (and the update is performed) while you can browse the shop / settings menu. Wouldn't expect that though (would expect a big message 'don't turn off, updating' while you can't do a thing). Thing is of course without internet connection no update via settings menu
wink.gif
. But why haven't any of the slot-2 card been tested (with passme2/nopass)? Have they kept the bios/firmware chip the same btw?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Scorpei said:
shaunj66 said:

CycloDS - Failed
G6 DS Real - Failed
M3 DS Real - Failed
iTouch DS - Failed
FCard - Failed
NCard - Failed
M3 DS Simply - Failed
U2DS - Failed

LIVE sounds more like you simply get the update (and the update is performed) while you can browse the shop / settings menu. Wouldn't expect that though (would expect a big message 'don't turn off, updating' while you can't do a thing). Thing is of course without internet connection no update via settings menu
wink.gif
. But why haven't any of the slot-2 card been tested (with passme2/nopass)? Have they kept the bios/firmware chip the same btw?
Because there's NO slot-2?
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto