Homebrew DSi Homebrew Channel (IDEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

I would just like to say that unless you know most of the following: C/C++, ARM ASM, how to reverse engineer, how to use a dissassembler, how different pieces of hardware work with each other, YOU (probably) HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Obviously, but what are you going to do? There probably will NEVER be any progress on this project as there hasn't been any for weeks. This thread along with half of the people in it, is just stupid...

darkriku2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RiderLeangle said:
darkriku2000 said:
RiderLeangle said:
then again if anyone can hack the DSi it's them... Imagine if they'd work together (OK, not going to happen but that would be awesome if it did)

Why wouldn't they, it's not like they're rival companies or something
Language Barrier. Do we know if Loopy knows Japanese?

I'm pretty sure Yasu knows some English

houseonfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic being open gives people hope that something like a homebrew channel will come out for the DSi.
Close it, and people will think it s never coming.

gera734

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey.. im new in all this... and i do not know about programing but i have a tough last night .... maybe instead of making a "homebrew chanel" you should make something like a shortcut {in a dsi ware} to the "moonshell" the system in the flash cards for DS so we just need to download monshell to our SD card and use Moonshell to play games and videos and all that stuff i mean that would be easer?don´t it?

RiderLeangle

Trophies
Website
ridersrealm.b1.jcink.com
XP
Country
United States
gera734 said:
hey.. im new in all this... and i do not know about programing but i have a tough last night .... maybe instead of making a "homebrew chanel" you should make something like a shortcut {in a dsi ware} to the "moonshell" the system in the flash cards for DS so we just need to download monshell to our SD card and use Moonshell to play games and videos and all that stuff i mean that would be easer?don´t it?
Moonshell is DS homebrew, not DSi homebrew, I.E it works in DS mode and not DSi mode. It'd be no help in being a homebrew channel really. And that still wouldn't mean the DSi would be hacked.

darkriku2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gera734 said:

Swing and a miss

houseonfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkriku2000 said:
gera734 said:

Swing and a miss
It really isn't a bad idea.
Instead of creating a channel, just a forwarder to a homebrew booter.
It might be just as hard to do that though.

Has anyone been able to extract or decrypt or whatever the channels yet?

RiderLeangle

Trophies
Website
ridersrealm.b1.jcink.com
XP
Country
United States
Well it's a good idea, although that wouldn't be hacking the DSi to it's fullest potential though.

EDIT: You'd also need to reprogram it a bit so moonshell reads the SD card and not the flashcart

houseonfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish that if someone was working on it they would report their progress.
A little info would be nice so maybe some other people can help out... move it along a little faster maybe.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To encrypt/decrypt a wiiware channel you'd need to have a way of dumping your system's private key (not the same as the public key) and the only way to do that would be to run a program in DSi mode... IE, we'd need a way for the DSi in DSi mode to read homebrew software...

I'd honestly take no news to be good news. If a potential hacker does find an exploit, it's better NOT to announce it until there is something tangible to work with. Otherwise nintendo could get wise to it and patch it before the software is even complete.

As for why no news is good news... well you don't hear any potential hackers/developers saying "oh no, we can't figure this out! It'll never be hacked!" The only news we've gotten is that Loopy (someone very trusted in the GBA/DS scene) purportedly obtained the public key and since then it's been a media blackout. I'd say patience is a virtue... sit back and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results.

Lughaidh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
koji2009 said:
To encrypt/decrypt a wiiware channel you'd need to have a way of dumping your system's private key (not the same as the public key) and the only way to do that would be to run a program in DSi mode... IE, we'd need a way for the DSi in DSi mode to read homebrew software...

I'd honestly take no news to be good news. If a potential hacker does find an exploit, it's better NOT to announce it until there is something tangible to work with. Otherwise nintendo could get wise to it and patch it before the software is even complete.

As for why no news is good news... well you don't hear any potential hackers/developers saying "oh no, we can't figure this out! It'll never be hacked!" The only news we've gotten is that Loopy (someone very trusted in the GBA/DS scene) purportedly obtained the public key and since then it's been a media blackout. I'd say patience is a virtue... sit back and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results.
Finally some sense talked out of this topic.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks Koji2009!
grog.gif

CrimsoniteX

Trophies
Website
crims0n.us
XP
Country
United States
Good call Koji2009
yaynds.gif

We may be seeing some progress here soon anyway. My Healthy Cooking Coach is set to be released on June 17th, and that is supposedly the first DSi enhanced game. That should give us something to work with.

darkriku2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
houseonfire said:
darkriku2000 said:
gera734 said:

Swing and a miss
It really isn't a bad idea.
Instead of creating a channel, just a forwarder to a homebrew booter.
It might be just as hard to do that though.

Has anyone been able to extract or decrypt or whatever the channels yet?

Reason I said what I said was is because he's just jumping straight to a later step, before we even THINK about what kind of homebrew to make, we have to find some kind of exploit

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone tried the chickHEN PSP icons on it? I might try them and see what happens. R2 and R1 and the slim and phat versions. You never know, it might freeze. Then again, the DSi might not open them as they've not been taken with the camera...

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
houseonfire said:
I wish that if someone was working on it they would report their progress.
A little info would be nice so maybe some other people can help out... move it along a little faster maybe.

Many times in software development, it doesn't help when people just jump in mid-project. Getting them up to speed (especially if over the internet) may take longer than it would have taken to finish the project yourself. In addition, integration of code between several people is a real chore unless there is a well-established system that is specified before collaboration begins. Plus, if someone wanted help from another, they'd directly ask that person, instead of publicly announcing it.

So, announcing progress (in situations like this) doesn't help the programmer much, and has several risks (people constantly e-mailing you, Nintendo zeroing in on your work, etc.). It's best to wait it out, or attempt to find exploits on your own.

darkriku2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Livin in a box said:
Has anyone tried the chickHEN PSP icons on it? I might try them and see what happens. R2 and R1 and the slim and phat versions. You never know, it might freeze. Then again, the DSi might not open them as they've not been taken with the camera...

Not gonna work, they where made using an exploit in the 5.03 firmware that allowed them to cause a buffer overflow to run homebrew made at the root of the memory stick, so it wouldn't work on account that it's different software.

Although I do think that what people should be focusing on, instead of dsiware, is finding an exploit in the camera to try and cause a buffer overflow (via editing a photo taken with the camera), than we can possibly get an HB launcher, than maybe a HEN, and than possibly a channel or custom firmware

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
darkriku2000 said:
Livin in a box said:

Not gonna work, they where made using an exploit in the 5.03 firmware that allowed them to cause a buffer overflow to run homebrew made at the root of the memory stick, so it wouldn't work on account that it's different software.

Although I do think that what people should be focusing on, instead of dsiware, is finding an exploit in the camera to try and cause a buffer overflow (via editing a photo taken with the camera), than we can possibly get an HB launcher, than maybe a HEN, and than possibly a channel or custom firmware

Do you even know what a buffer overflow is and why it works? Not all buffer overflow errors lead to exploits, and not all picture systems have unchecked buffer overflow errors.

darkriku2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
darkriku2000 said:
Livin in a box said:

Do you even know what a buffer overflow is and why it works? Not all buffer overflow errors lead to exploits, and not all picture systems have unchecked buffer overflow errors.

Yes, it's where a process stores data in a buffer outside the memory the programmer set aside for it. This usually leads to a crash, and may allow the person who caused the crash to point the system towards data that the original programmer didn't intend to be read, such as the homebrew on the psp. I know that not all photo systems are exploitable, I'm just suggesting that somebody attempt to find one, since it's about as good as anything else that we can try. The reason that I suggested that somebody attempt it using a photo taken in the photo channel is because than getting the DSi to read it isn't as big of a problem.

Don't worry, I've done my research
lecture.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....