Homebrew DSi emulation potential.

ShakeBunny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've found on the DSi it says that it will be more powerful than the DS Lite in several aspects (RAM, CPU, etc.)

So, what systems should be able to be emulated on the DSi? I'm not expecting something like N64, or PSX. I just want to know if the DSi would be able to run anything that the DS Lite cannot. Thank you.

Oh, and I know that the system running the emulator has to be three times as powerful as the system being emulated (I suspect many will comment saying something like this.)

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I expect an update of NeoDS...
smile.gif

ShakeBunny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, NeoDS is awesome.

I just thought of something. Will the DSi be able to emulate the SNES's special chip for certain games like Super Mario RPG and the Megaman X games? That would be really sweet.

Wabsta

Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
penguindefender said:
Cool, NeoDS is awesome.

I just thought of something. Will the DSi be able to emulate the SNES's special chip for certain games like Super Mario RPG and the Megaman X games? That would be really sweet.
Wouldn't that be emulating like 4 processors? (sound en normal processor from the snes itself, and from the cartridge?)
I'm not to sure on this one, but from what I know about it, it would be impossible for the DSi...

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
penguindefender said:
From what I've found on the DSi it says that it will be more powerful than the DS Lite in several aspects (RAM, CPU, etc.)

So, what systems should be able to be emulated on the DSi? I'm not expecting something like N64, or PSX. I just want to know if the DSi would be able to run anything that the DS Lite cannot. Thank you.

Oh, and I know that the system running the emulator has to be three times as powerful as the system being emulated (I suspect many will comment saying something like this.)
Dont make me rant you.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
I thought it only had more ram (which doesnt mean much of anything anyway)

Where do people keep getting that it has more ram?

All I've seen on the specs is that it has built in storage space.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've never heard anything but vague rumors about the DSi having more processing power. I certainly haven't seen any specs about how much more powerful the CPU would be. As for the RAM, it's probably just the 8MB browser RAM pak built in (it has to at least have this to have the browser built in), which is smaller than what flashcarts offer and quite possibly slower.

My guess about how much extra emulation potential the DSi has over the DS: None.

Wabsta

Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
m3rox said:
Joe88 said:
I thought it only had more ram (which doesnt mean much of anything anyway)

Where do people keep getting that it has more ram?

All I've seen on the specs is that it has built in storage space.

Well, I think it was on the internet... Somewhere
tongue.gif

It has to play music, and it has to acces the internet, without any expansion..
So yes, there is probably more ram.

QUOTE(Destructobot @ Oct 21 2008, 09:11 AM)
I've never heard anything but vague rumors about the DSi having more processing power. I certainly haven't seen any specs about how much more powerful the CPU would be. As for the RAM, it's probably just the 8MB browser RAM pak built in (it has to at least have this to have the browser built in), which is smaller than what flashcarts offer and quite possibly slower.

My guess about how much extra emulation potential the DSi has over the DS: None.
Well, the NeoDS works better with more RAM (If you have the Ram pack inserted, it just works better).
So, they are probably going to let it work with the built in ram, since it's more then 4mb now...

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
penguindefender said:
This crap is nonsense, and almost as prevalent as that 24-hour legal ROM rule people are so fond of.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only difference in terms of emulation performance is that the SD card slot might be of some use. According to the released specs, there isn't a difference in processing power, ram, or etc.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
This whole thread's nonsense.

How would we know? The machine's not out anywhere! People aren't even sure how much RAM the thing has.

And even if the DSi is more powerful than a Lite (and I'm not convinced it will be - I haven't been paying that much attention to the machine's specs, but I'm pretty sure it's fundamentally a DS with a better screen , some cooler firmware, and a couple of cameras duct taped on), it wouldn't matter at all if it's locked down tighter than Fort Knox.

What are the chances of my toenail clippings transforming into a penguin army, who serve my every beck and call, until all the nations of the earth are under my rule or destroyed? Just asking.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kikuchiyo said:
What are the chances of my toenail clippings transforming into a penguin army, who serve my every beck and call, until all the nations of the earth are under my rule or destroyed?
About the same as the chances that the DSi will be able to emulate the SNES games that have extra processors in the carts.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The emulation potential will be the same as it is now... as others have said the only real spec difference is the expansion pak built in. So, just look at homebrew that uses the pak, like Quake 2 ds (required) or SnEmulDS/Jenesis (used for large games).

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
penguindefender said:
Oh, and I know that the system running the emulator has to be three times as powerful as the system being emulated.

Unfortunately, that is incorrect. Emulation is not an exact science, and emulating the different architectures and chips in can use considerable computing power. Conversely, some things are very easy to emulate (like an 8086 processor on an ix86 machine)

Japhle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While the Emulation capabilities aren't increased, I wouldn't be surprised if the GBA hardware was still in it so then you could download GBA games from the DS ware store and play them,(this statement has no known proof behind it.) which would mean that you could still play GBA roms on your DS even without the slot 2. with a firmware hack or something or other.
edit:I meant via the onboard memory or SD slot.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kikuchiyo said:
mysticwaterfall said:
The emulation potential will be the same as it is now.

From this I assume you have a DSi. How is the firmware, cool? Easily hackable?

I don't need a DSi to know this. We already have everything the DSi has that makes a difference in emulation if you have the expansion pak. The new features of the DSi - cameras, mp3 player, sd slot - don't magically make it able to run emulators the DS can't. An N64 emulator could care less if there's a camera.

I do think the the SD slot has some possibilities of hacks to run stuff directly from it, for instance gba games if they offer those as downloads. But that's not really an increase in potential, as the DS can already play gba games. It would just make it easier to do since you wouldn't need a slot 2, and it wouldn't be emulation in the first place since they would run native.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Morning