Hacking DS sales Plummet - An opinion

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo have just made the biggest mistake EVER.
Now, nobody will buy the DS at christmas causing sales to plummet.
the reason - they announced the DSI.
Why buy the old console when i a few months you can have the new one?
people will wait until DSI and buy that then.

R.I.P
NDS lite

P

pasc

nope... thats a lie, not all people know bout DSi, plus some even prefer a lite anyways.

I myself will get a DSi since I already skipped the lite, but my phat will stay with me for several reasons.

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hope it does...I seriously doubt it though, b/c it's still sometime away from america. But if it does, will make me a happy person so nintendo won't pull a stunt like this again
tongue.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope the DSi fails horribly. Millions of people who already own a DS phat or lite don't need it.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
Doomsday Forte said:
jesuschristmonkeyballs said:
They'll cut prices on NDS Lite and people will buy.
Except that I remember seeing someone say they're NOT going to cut prices at all. D:

Of course they won't, the DSi's not leaving japan until after christmas. They have to sell their Lite stock somehow.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Rayder said:
I hope the DSi fails horribly. Millions of people who already own a DS phat or lite don't need it.
I'm willing to bet, oh say, a billion dollars that it won't fail.

As far as redesigns go, it doesn't get much better than the DSi

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And there was me thinking that someone posted a thread with news, when all it was, was an opinion that could have easily been said in one of the many threads around. I changed the topic title.

Sales will not plummet, in Japan yes as its out so soon but elsewhere? Not really.

Sales will increase within the next few months as its mainly the non-hardcore that will buy it and its unlikely that they'll know about it and if they do they'll probably think its not just a redesign.

King Zargo

I'm a Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
DS_USER_997 said:
Nintendo have just made the biggest mistake EVER.
Now, nobody will buy the DS at christmas causing sales to plummet.
the reason - they announced the DSI.
Why buy the old console when i a few months you can have the new one?
people will wait until DSI and buy that then.

R.I.P
NDS lite
I don't think kids and parents follow the gaming news that closely.
And if a kid wants a DS it probably doesn't like to wait.

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing this has done is make me not want to buy a new Nintendo system until the third upgrade is released. I remember skipping the DS phat because I expected a lite. Now we have the DSi pitched as a "third pillar". They said teh same crap when there was a GBA and DS. Next thing you know teh Gb brand is dead and the DS stands alone as one pillar.

Nintendo shouldn't release these silly upgrades when they could have just saved all of this for a future true successor. This is worse than the Street Fighter upgrades.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
don't be a tool....

seriously, hardly anyone really knows anything about the DSi, and of those that do i would imagine there would be quite a few that still want to play gba games....

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
MasterPenguin said:
Mine will always stay with me, even when I do get this new one.

Agreed, for several reasons. one being multiplayer with people who don't have DSs and two being for the EZ flash 3-in-1.

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Essentially every core gamer who knows about the DSi already has a DS in one form or another. Most of the sales we see (In the US anyway) are from newcomers. The people who are buying DS's now are either replacing broken systems, or are non core people who are making their first purchase. The greatest part about this is that Nintendo will reap the benefits of those non core people this holiday, while the core people will begin buying the DSi when it's released next year. Once supplies stable out, then the non core people will start getting the DSi's.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's absurd to say that the DS Lite won't sell at all at x-mas. There are millions (or billions if we're being really technical) of people who don't know about the DSi yet that also don't have a DS Lite yet. For your assertion to be correct, not a single one of those people could buy a DSL in relation to x-mas, which is silly.

Then there are people who know about the DSi, and either don't want it, or aren't willing to pay $180+ for a portable gaming system (I know I'm not), so they'll buy a DSL instead.

There are also people who have children nagging the crap out of them for a DS this x-mas. That'll definitely drive sales of some DSLs. There are some children for which the answer of "no" or "wait until 'well into 2009'" is unacceptable.

gamadaya

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
.TakaM said:
Rayder said:
I'm willing to bet, oh say, a billion dollars that it won't fail.

As far as redesigns go, it doesn't get much better than the DSi

I don't hope it fails. Some people might like it (although I fail to see how anybody would pay extra for an SD card slot on the side and a crappy camera). Still, I'd say it's a pretty poor redesign. It lacks a GBA slot (essential to Pokemon players) and it has worse battery life. I'd say it's a lot like the Micro. A cool novelty, but overall inferior to it's predecessor.

Bigger screens are tight though.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember when the DS lite was announced, and everybody was like "OMG NINTENDO IS GOING TO GO BACKRUBBED." and "WHAT IS NINTENDO THINKING, NO ONES GOING TO BUY TEH 1337 DS PHAT NOW"

Ah... Good times.

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ferrariman said:
I remember when the DS lite was announced, and everybody was like "OMG NINTENDO IS GOING TO GO BACKRUBBED." and "WHAT IS NINTENDO THINKING, NO ONES GOING TO BUY TEH 1337 DS PHAT NOW"

Ah... Good times.

I remembered the same with slim. "Just slimmer, nothing special. Few hardware upgrades, no need."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill