Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after this weeks mass of goodness comes a week of cashin's, sequels and mediocrity. A few months back it looked like every week after September was a winner...and then came the delays but at least there is Bleach which appeared just before I was about to post this!

EDIT: Added Real Football 2008 & Thrillville...isn't it nice when nice looking games get pushed forward instead of delayed?

Two new additions to this "article" are:
The Unappreciated: A damn fine game from way back that doesn't really get talked up about.
Coming Soon: This is where I show a game that I reckon could have potential.

These may become regulars, they may not...depends on whether people are interested. Anyway these are the games that at the moment are said to come out after the 9th.

9th October

Game of the Week

Bleach - The Blade of Fate

Region: US Genre: Annoy-me-do
Developer: Treasure Publisher: Sega

Ah finally! This has been out in Japan for ages now but Sega have finally localised it for us English speakers. Ok the other console versions...didn't like them at all but this one is pretty good and has the same quality control as most Treasure titles do, ok its not even in the top 15 of their best games but its the best fighting game on the DS thats in English. Combos and gameplay is very retro which I like a lot, theres 28 characters AND its online which told me that I am terrible compared to tose Japanese!

Video Link

ME0000868888_2.jpg
ME0000868891_2.jpg
ME0000868885_2.jpg

Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck

Developer: Wayforward Technology Publisher: Warner Brothers Games

Video Link

Duck Amuck lets players wield the Nintendo DS stylus to irritate, aggravate and infuriate their own Daffy Duck in humorous ways. In the game inspired by the classic Duck Amuck cartoon, players will compete against Daffy through a series of mini-games that range from retro inspired favorites to modern, innovative gameplay interactions, with the goal of driving Daffy’s temperature, and his temper, through the roof. Sounds...kinda meh.

looney-tunes-duck-amuck-20070713065944817.jpg
looney-tunes-duck-amuck-20070417001810172.jpg
looney-tunes-duck-amuck-20070713065944380.jpg

Touch Detective 2 1/2

Developer: BeeWorks Ltd Publisher: Atlus

Weren't into the first one but I know theres fans out there of it. Accepted into the Great Detective Society, Mackenzie has become a fully-accredited sleuth! Trouble is, people still do not take her seriously. All that changes when a string of strange thefts pulls her into a puzzling plot, and she’ll have to use all of her skills and intuition to discover the motive behind the crimes and solve the mystery.

Video Link

touch-detective-2-12-20070926043548337.jpg
touch-detective-2-12-20070926044325816.jpg
touch-detective-2-12-20070926043549837.jpg

The Cheetah Girls: Pop Sensations

Region: US Genre: Paedo Dance-me-do
Developer: Gorilla Systems Publisher: Buena Vista

The Cheetah Girls: Pop Star Sensations takes advantage of the handheld’s touch screen and microphone allowing players to dance with the stylus and sing along to the official Cheetah Girls soundtrack. Players help Galleria, Chanel, Aqua and Dorinda practice their unique talents of song writing, singing, fashion and dance. Girls also take on the role of stylist, selecting new outfits for the Cheetahs and sharing them with friends. Sounds totally crap.

the-cheetah-girls-pop-star-sensations--20070712102851896.jpg
the-cheetah-girls-pop-star-sensations--20070712102851349.jpg
the-cheetah-girls-pop-star-sensations--20070712102850177.jpg

Thrillville: Off The Rails

Region: US Genre: Ride Builder/Mini Game-me-do
Developer: Frontier Developments Publisher: LucasArts

Now I'm looking forward to this! The coasters players build in Thrillville aren't bound to the laws of physics (or potential lawsuits) real-world rides are. Leap from track to track, go airborne, jet through flaming rings of fire… This is your chance to make the coaster you've always (or never) wanted to ride. The Pendulizer is a new coaster with a giant arm that grabs the car just before it plummets off a gap in the track, spins it around, then sets it down on the other side. Also included are minigames which include Robo K.O., which will feature rock 'em sock 'em boxing robots, Bandito Chinchilla, which sports some side-scrolling action, and Tank Frenzy, a vertical shooter. The DS version features LeChuck from The Secret of Monkey Island and Manny from Grim Fandango as unlockable characters

2003848926267372414_rs.jpg

Tashiten: Tashite 10 ni Suru Monogatari

Region: Japan Genre: Puzzle-me-do
Developer: MuuMuu Publisher: Nintendo

Tashiten: Tashite 10 Ni Suru Monogatari is all about numbers. There are multiple different game types, but they all share the same theme: adding numbers to ten. Its yet another Nintendo brain game.

19546_n20070906_09_tashi_01.jpg
19546_n20070906_09_tashi_05.jpg
19546_n20070906_09_tashi_09.jpg

11th October

Otona no DS Mystery: Idumi Jiken File

Region: Japan Genre: Adventure-me-do
Developer: ScriptArts Publisher: Interchannel

ME0000861353_2.jpg
ME0000861349_2.jpg
ME0000861356_2.jpg

Other games due are:
DS Nishimura Kyotaro Suspense Shin Tantei Series: Kyoto Atami Zekkai no Kotou - Satsui no Wana
Koukou Juken: Eitango Get Through 1900 - Eitan Zamurai DS
Osumitsuki Series: Matsuda Tadanori Onsen Kyouju Kanshuu - Zenkoku DokoDemo Onsen Techou
Osumitsuki Series: Shokusai Roman Katei de Dekiru! Chomeijin - Yuumei Ryourinin no Original Recipe
Oubunsha Deru-Jun: Koumin DS
Oubunsha Deru-Jun: Sansuu DS

12th October

Horse Life

Region: Europe Genre: Horse-me-do.
Developer: Necko Entertainment Publisher: D3

Well ain't this a pretty game, this is the 198th horse themed game for the DS but it does look like one of the better ones and has a nice game engine that should be used for a possible Gun or Western themed game...but wont.

Video Link

943220_20070918_screen006.jpg
943220_20070918_screen016.jpg
943220_20070918_screen020.jpg

Dolphin Island

Region: Europe Genre: Dolphin torment-me-do.
Developer: Ubisoft Publisher: Ubisoft

I'm surprised that this isn't called Dolfinz. Sigh another pet game were you have mess about with this enslaved Dolphin and make him do tricks.

942968_20070822_screen005_image.jpg
942968_20070822_screen002_image.jpg

Top Trumps: Dogs & Dinosuars / Horror & Predators

Region: Europe Genre: Card-me-do.
Developer: No Company Publisher: Ubisoft

These are a card battle games based on the Top Trumps cards. Also to come is a Doctor Who themed one.

thumb_56954.jpg

Real Football 2008

Region: Europe Genre: Footy-me-do.
Developer: Gameloft Publisher: Ubisoft

Ok this looks like its pretty much a port of the 3D version of the mobile game but with DS features. Gameloft have ported a few mobile titles to the DS and with success (Platinum Sudoku, Brothers In Arms, Asphalt GT). No WFC so some will stick with Fifa '08 but theres use of the microphone to influence the referee's decisions and shoot penalty kicks with the stylus on the touch screen. Not played the 3D mobile one but I love this series on the mobile so I'm hoping that this will be a good alternative.

Video Link

2005062619922882476_rs.jpg

Also out is Bratz: Super Babyz but from now on I am refusing to write about any Bratz range of whore games.

As usual dates change, some games take ages to get dumped so don't winge.

The Unappreciated

Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble

Region: USA & Europe Genre: Beat-em-up
Developer: Clover Studio Publisher: Capcom

Ok this is as good as the GC games, which were mighty fine but no one talks about it! It takes the gameplay, the graphic style and the feel and transfer it perfectly to the DS. Ok its not as fast or as energenic as the GC games but jesus its as close as the DS can get to replicating a VJ game. Also the touch screen is a bit too sensitive when you are deep in a battle but they are don't stop this being a great game. The puzzle elements are damn clever in this game and they feel really fresh and that really haven't been done anywhere before. Overall its a damn fine game and theres nothing really like it on the DS. If you've never played it, for god sake GET IT AND PLAY IT...ahem. Message to Clover Studios...Okami DS please.

ME0000671121_2.jpg
ME0000655542_2.jpg
ME0000655523_2.jpg

Is there a game that you feel is being ignored? PM me and I may feature it.

Coming Soon

Dungeon Explorer: Warrior of the Arts

Genre: Action RPG Release Date: Japan: November 11th. USA: TBC '08
Developer: Hudson Publisher: Hudson

Those waiting for a Diablo DS may wanna look at this! Its been a while but Hudson are finally bringing their excellent franchise back. This is a hack and slash RPG with a lot of dungeon crawling. No date for outside of Japan but the demo booths at TGS had the game in English so its safe to say its coming. I enjoyed the PC-Engine game so looking forward to this and the future PSP version. The game will feature voice chat & wi-fi which kinda makes this even more exciting.

d5.jpg
d6.jpg
d1.jpg

Is there a game that looks like a winner but no one talks about? PM me and I may feature it.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
brilliant as always hadrian
will check out viewtiful joe after PH
Otona no DS Mystery: Idumi Jiken File kinda looks like a hotel dusk kinda game, hope itll get a localisation but i wont count on it
touch detective looks interesting with a kinda cool art style and ive never played the first one..

EDIT: FIRST!

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a heap. It's about time they localised bleach ds. but it leaves the long wait for v2 now.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
YAY! Horsies and Dolphins!

Glad I don't need to pay attention to the release list for a little while.

I like the idea of the Unappreciated. I never really gave VJ a chance. Now maybe I will next time there's a slowdown. (Slowdown = long periods without horsies and dolphins)

Thanks hadrian!
grog.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very glad to hear that there was an English version of Dungeon Explorer at TGS. I've been watching this game with great anticipation. Hope it turns out good. After playing Phantom Hourglass, it would be nice if this and other, similar games used a comparable control scheme. I'm just in love with how PH turned out.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad Viewtiful Joe was released during the period where touch screen support was being forcibly added to every game, because other than that its pretty decent.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good job as always, hadrian. I also like the idea of the Unappreciated. I gave Viewtiful Joe a try a long time ago, as it was just released. I liked it. It's a good game, I got about half-way through, and then stopped playing, for no particular reason. Dungeon Explorer looks cool. Looking forward to Bleach and Touch Detective 2 1/2! The first one was awesome. Very humorous.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't say there's much on that list where I'll be keeping my eye on the second it's dumped but I wonder why the Lifesigns one is taking a while to be dumped?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another game is said to be out in the UK on the 12th. According to Ubisofts website thats true:

Real Football 2008

Region: Europe Genre: Footy-me-do.
Developer: Gameloft Publisher: Ubisoft

Ok this looks like its pretty much a port of the 3D version of the mobile game but with DS features. Gameloft have ported a few mobile titles to the DS and with success (Platinum Sudoku, Brothers In Arms, Asphalt GT). No WFC so some will stick with Fifa '08 but theres use of the microphone to influence the referee's decisions and shoot penalty kicks with the stylus on the touch screen. Not played the 3D mobile one but I love this series on the mobile so I'm hoping that this will be a good alternative.

Video Link

2005062619922882476_rs.jpg

EDIT: Lifesigns keeps getting delayed! Think the new date is 19th Oct for Europe.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Dungeon Explorer seems good.. I'll wait for an english release thought.

Isn't Viewtiful Joe out for more than a year!? Why is it on the list!?
Bleach is good.. but it's a fighting game, so for me the japanese version is already good enough.. probably even better since the US version will probably feature US dub voices
sleep.gif

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil

mortys

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I agree Viewtifull Joe is a great game, maybe one of the best action games on Ds. And the touch screen use is very fun and clever. Everybody should try it (and buy it) !

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't Viewtiful Joe out for more than a year!? Why is it on the list!?

Thats why on top of it, it says "the unappreciated" so people will go back and try it. I have tried it and liked it alot, and won't remove it from my R4, but also haven't had the time to get back into playing VJ:DT

I remember seeing a imported bleach game at BB a few weeks ago, wonder if this is the same game, it looked like it was mostly ported in english. Otherwise this next week looks weak
wink.gif

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
They are killing the Looney Tunes
frown.gif
, Touch Detective, the first one was great I'll try this one for sure, Cheetah Girls looks like an ugly GBA game...with two screens, Tashiten...this one looks pretty cool actually and if it's all about numbers we might be able to play it.Horse Life looks really nice, what a waste :\

Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble it's the best beat'em up game for the DS.
Clover Studios.... :'(

Great job as usual hadrian
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Using .139 and most of the games work.... Was happy to play Konami Devil World yesterday lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do you have the mini radiator cooler? I Jerry rigged a heatsink and 5volt fan from a dead graphics card on mine, but eventually wanna get a real cooler/fan.
    Pure copper heat sink kit and fans
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know bout sets, I downloaded all the roms for mine separately.
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not even sure what to call that controller