ddp127

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
i am gonna buy a ds, but should i wait for the dsi to come here in europe or just buy a ds lite?
is the dsi so much better, is it worth the missing of the gba slot?

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
You need to decide if it's worth getting rid of the GBA slot, really. Are you going to use it? If not and you don't own a DS yet, wait for the DSi. If you have to get one now, get the DS Lite, because the DSi is only Japanese at the moment.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well. , lets put it this way.
Do you want a decent, well priced console with flashcard (without illegal files) support
that is smaller (not thinner or lighter) and looks good.

Or do you want a piece of crap with UPDATES (i.e. DSTTi and R4i are screwed, maybe AceKard too...) overpriced
and has a finish that can't be cleaned (not good if you have a leaky pen in the same pocket... then you get a horribly sticky console with limited edition colors...)

get the DS. If you get a DSi, you'll get a camera and support for a music file that no-one uses.
The camera's are worse then the average mobile camera, that average based off youtube and myspace vids.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You gotta remember that the DSi has at least up to 5 hours of less battery life as well. Unless I remembered wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong please. That, IMO, is a big turn off.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anakir said:
You gotta remember that the DSi has at least up to 5 hours of less battery life as well. Unless I remembered wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong please. That, IMO, is a big turn off.

That is 100% false.

The battery life difference is very little.

LivingToDie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DS(L) = Gba slot - original menus etc. - longer battery life

DSi = Cameras - SD slot - DSi Ware - DSi Games(rumors there will be some) - Online updates - Newer/Better Menus - shorter battery life.. (6/7 Hours)

if i now get to choose between ds or dsi i would personally pick dsi... still your own choice...

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
Anakir said:

That is 100% false.

Ah okay, thanks for the update. I remembered back then I read from Kotaku that there was a significant difference in battery life. But it was the time before DSi was even released yet.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anakir said:
m3rox said:
Anakir said:

That is 100% false.

Ah okay, thanks for the update. I remembered back then I read from Kotaku that there was a significant difference in battery life. But it was the time before DSi was even released yet.
Hes wrong.
Battery Life
Nintendo DSi: The lowest brightness (9-14 hrs), low brightness (8-12 hours), medium brightness (6-9 hours), high brightness (4-6 hours), highest brightness(3-4 hours)
Nintendo DS Lite: The lowest brightness (15-19 hrs), low brightness (10-15 hours), high brightness (7-11 hours), highest brightness(5-8 hours)

Source

LivingToDie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i dont know 4 sure if the gba slot is a problem... they compare this thing (dsi) with a wii .. it will also get dsiware AND it has a better engine and powe... someone eventually will make an emulator for the dsi (it does have an better engine+power) and if not i think there will be virtual console (wich wil contain gba) as wii too had virtual console (thats why online updates are handy.. they can add ''channels'')

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The battery life of a DSi is 8.5 hours and don't count on DSi games for another year or two if even that. The DSiware games are kind of bland and unoriginal so wait for third party support to arrive if you want to get a DSi.

Ballistic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aside from everyone's personal preferences floating around in this thread, what do you prefer?

As for hardware differences:
-DSi screen is 3.25' and DSL is 3'
-DSi "supposedly" has a better volume (The DS Lite volume is lower than the DS Phat if you must know)
-One higher brightness setting than DSL
-DSi has approximately 5 hours less battery life
-DSi future games will probably support WPA connection (which is a new feature)
-The infamous missing GBA slot
-DSi increased ram might allow for future flashcarts to take advantage of it and possibly play GBA games
-Downloadable DSiWare
-Firmware updates might disable DSi's usage of flashcarts (UNCOMFIRMED)

My opinion on the subject is hold off for a couple of weeks or even a month after your country's DSi release, and see how flashcarts deal with it and see if it's to your liking. Instead of looking at the disadvantages, think of the commercial and homebrew possibilities that is the DSi. A skype-like program would be nice. Again, this is just my speculation and my point of view.

Ein-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
- The infamous missing GBA slot
- Firmware updates might disable DSi's usage of flashcarts

These two are the main reasons why I'm not getting a DSi. (although the second one is unconfirmed, but the GBA slot...)

Satirical

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DSi = Gameboy Micro

As for hardware differences:
-DSi screen is 3.25' and DSL is 3' - Not that much difference.
-DSi "supposedly" has a better volume (The DS Lite volume is lower than the DS Phat if you must know) - Yeah that's great for rocking out on guitar her-Oh wait no GBA Slot.
-One higher brightness setting than DSL - MY EYES AHH MY BEAUTIFUL RETINAS, BURNT TO A CRISP BY A HANDHELD GAMING SYSTEM.
-DSi has approximately 5 hours less battery life - Fail. Considering that the DSL lasts for about 6 hours. Plus the extra brightness level uses more battery. And you're encouraging DS users to use their DS out in public and take pictures, then get robbed and have the battery run out, to then have the robber give it back to you.
-DSi future games will probably support WPA connection (which is a new feature) - DSi Games? Suck my &*"$5, Nintendo, prepare to fall to your doom.
-The infamous missing GBA slot - Nintendo, prepare to fall to your doom.
-DSi increased ram might allow for future flashcarts to take advantage of it and possibly play GBA games - "Future" the DS has been out since 2006. It's 2009. In the "Future" DS2 will be out.
-Downloadable DSiWare - Wtf is the point? This is like making a mini game into a super micro minigame.
-Firmware updates might disable DSi's usage of flashcarts (UNCOMFIRMED) - Sales -30%

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?