Voltshock R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I was wanting some advice on a problem. Please forgive if it is long in description.
I have a DS Lite which fell once from a height of 2.5 feet at a diagonal fall while open.
No damage, apart from a tiny crack line on the bottom edge (photo black box; dirt gathered afterwards, gotta clean), was observed and it played fine.
The X button now is unresponsive so I was planning to open and clean contacts while probably changing the rubber pad underneith.

However the question is what else I found. On the bottom touch screen toward the bottom middle when the screen has color (normally easy to notice when black screen) is a green line.
The line does not seem to fit the qualifications of stuck or dead pixels, due to the fact when the DS is rotated at different angles, the line can disappear. The line does not extend all the way across the screen, but I am worried it might be the canary in the cave scenario (early signs of worst troubles). I have tried multiple attempts to photograph the line with no success.

To note: the touch screen does work (some areas are particular such as top right side with calibration, and the PicoChat has some problem detecting a perfect line when drawn through the middle of the screen; it is not as serious as it sounds in that regard) and the screen does not have the blouching dilemma when the digitizer touches the LCD.

I figured if it is possible that the digitizer might have internally cracked and if this is the case, I could change that screen part out despite being unexperienced with the internals of computer boards (Youtube makes the process seem do-able).
I think the parts from Nintendo Repair Shop should be fine substitutes. I would ask if anyone has suggestions otherwise, but I think that I might be breaking a forum rule asking, so I will leave it at that.

Regardless, I do appreciate any advice. Thank you very much^_^

Attachments

• ds lite.jpg
    ds lite.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 470

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A green line like this usually signifies a problem with the ribbon connector, perhaps it came loose after the fall, especially if the line comes and goes. I wouldn't worry about the crack at all, it doesn't seem too major. As for the responsiveness of the X button, it's probably just a dislodged element or a dirty contact, the button is directly on the motherboard, there's no other reason why it would be unresponsive. Don't worry about the digitizer either, it has nothing to do with what's displayed on the screen. The digitizer's role is to deliver touch input, and it's unlikely that it's cracked since it's resistive and thus pretty elastic.

Voltshock R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4, the green line is consistant (in that it always there, but viewed from different angles does not appear there, if that makes sense). I am not sure what is meant by dislodged element (I am sorry I am a novice and kind of nervious of opening more than once). Would 90% rubbing alcohol be the best bet for cleaning the contact area?
What do you suggest would be the things to look out for when opening up the system especially? I mean, would the ribbon cable likely be evident if issues were connected to it?
Thank you for your response.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4, the green line is consistant. I am not sure what is meant by dislodged element (I am sorry I am a novice and kind of nervious of opening more than once). Would 90% rubbing alcohol be the best bet for cleaning the contact area?
What do you suggest would be the things to look out for when opening up the system especially? I mean, would the ribbon cable likely be evident if issues were connected to it? Thank you for your response.
You can clean the connectors on the ribbon cable with some alcohol, but it may not be necessary - re-clipping it into place could solve the issue too. It worries me that the problem is consistent (a line caused by a loose ribbon issue comes and goes, a line caused by an internally damaged screen does not) but worst-case scenario you can always replace the screen along with the whole screen assembly and ribbon if you really want to fix this. By dislodged element I mean that the button consists of three main components - the plastic cover, a rubber pad and a touch point on the motherboard. If the rubber pad is misaligned with the point on the motherboard, the button will feel fine but will be unresponsive. As far as disassembly is concerned, I suggest looking for Youtube instructables and getting good quality "game bits", which are tools for unscrewing security screws and disassembling consoles.

Voltshock R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4,
I meant to ask the contact point on motherboard with XYAB and cleaning it with 90% alcohol; I think I could mess up with trying alcohol on a ribbon cable connectors. I have watched videos and have some triwing screwdrivers and a smaller electronics screwdriver kit (not sure quality but was $10).

Dislodged............I guess that means I should open it up before ordering parts?

I know this might be a off question, but what do you think might be a way to photograph the line? I figure things would be clear with an image. I tried light on the screen and in daylight situation, but it did not pick up.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4,
I meant to ask the contact point on motherboard with XYAB and cleaning it with 90% alcohol; I think I could mess up with trying alcohol on a ribbon cable connectors. I have watched videos and have some triwing screwdrivers and a smaller electronics screwdriver kit (not sure quality but was $10).

Dislodged............I guess that means I should open it up before ordering parts?

I know this might be a off question, but what do you think might be a way to photograph the line? I figure things would be clear with an image. I tried light on the screen and in daylight situation, but it did not pick up.
Cleaning the motherboard contacts sounds fine, just use a q-tip and a modest amount, don't drown the thing (for obvious reasons).

As far as adjusting the rubber pad is concerned, you kinda have to open the system to do that, there's no other way to reach in there. It shouldn't be misaligned since it covers all four buttons, but it might be, even if ever so slightly. Pressing the button really hard a couple of times could also do the trick (stretches the rubber and whatnot), but hey - you'll have to open the console anyways to deal with the screen, so you might as well do this properly.

The way I take photos of LCD screens is putting a halogen light directly over the screen, turning down the brightness and using a camera with the flash disabled. Best of luck. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?