Homebrew DS(i) NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

JimmyNgo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hi, I'm having a Dsi LL with 1.4.5J stock. My question is that I'm playing well all the games with my flashcart, do I need to hack my Dsi( flashcard is easy) with cfw? Is there any benefit for the hacking thing? (Like playing games fully with all the Dsi enhanced features etc.)

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi, I'm having a Dsi LL with 1.4.5J stock. My question is that I'm playing well all the games with my flashcart, do I need to hack my Dsi( flashcard is easy) with cfw? Is there any benefit for the hacking thing? (Like playing games fully with all the Dsi enhanced features etc.)

Hello.:)

To have Custom Firmware/TWiLight Menu on an DSi has a really great Benefit: You can play DSiWare and many Homebrew Applications.:)

Reactions: banjo2 and JimmyNgo

JimmyNgo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hahaha, I don't really need those anyway. All those dsiware can be replace with my fone. For me, dsi just for pokemon and harvest moon. I guess that I'm okay with flashcard for the purpose of playing games. But if I hack my n3ds, I'm able to play 3ds game, right? If yes, maybe I will have my n3ds. Thank you for your answer.

ProtoReignz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am looking for a way to play some music and all the home brew I've tried hasn't worked. Is there a way to add the built in dsi sounds app into the twilight menu browser? If not is there any homebrew music players that work with memory pit?

Mixtape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey folks. Sorry for my first post on this site being a question, but I've been lurking these forums over the past few days and seem to have run into some issues. The following is a post I made on the r/NDSHacks subreddit that didn't provide any useful information Hopefully someone can lend me a hand here.

Hey all,

Yesterday I decided to dive into the Homebrew scene a bit after learning about Memory Pit, and while the experience has been great thus far, I am having some issues with TWL's handling of GBA and SNES games. TWL is able to load the emulators for both, but each crashes at their own points. Here is my current setup:
  • NDSiXL Ver. 1.4.5U
  • Kodak SDHC Memory Card, 4GB (FAT32)
  • Memory Pit installed with TWL as BOOT.nds (so as to avoid making permanent modifications to the system NAND - I'm trying my best to play it safe here)
  • TWL 13.1.0, with included versions of GBARunner2 and SNEmulDS
The specific issues are as follows:

For GBARunner2:
  • Despite having a proper BIOS (checksum verified) installed on my root directory, the version of GBARunner2 that came with TWL gets as far as the ROM selection screen before showing a black top screen and a lower screen containing only the purple header bar for the emulator. The system is completely unresponsive (R does not pull up the settings menu) and must be reset.
  • In an attempt to remedy this, I installed the most recent release build of GBARunner2 on my root directory, and while this implementation was able to load the emulator itself and load the GBA startup screen, the games themselves do not load, and hang on a blank white upper screen and black lower screen. For reference, I am using the Internet aArchive no-intro versions of Pokemon Fire Red and Pokemon Sapphire, and both have the same end result.
For SNEmulDS:
  • Much like with GBARunner2, SNEmulDS is unable to load any ROMs when using the version bundled with TWL. Loading a game from the TWL homescreen briefly shows a screen stating that FS Initialization failed, followed by a blank ROM selection screen. Pressing A here causes the emulator to fail to load a ROM, and the it subsequently crashes. Photos are attached below (ignore the old screen protector - this system has been put through its paces ^_^). My ROM (Brain Lord (USA)) is located in sd:/SNES/.
  • IMG_20200416_103805.jpg IMG_20200416_103828.jpg IMG_20200416_103838.jpg
  • I attempted to fix this as well by using the most recent build of SNEmulDS from Coto's BitBucket on my root directory. This resulted in a white upper screen, black lower screen, and repeated static sound coming from the system speakers. No ROM selection screen appeared.
  • In looking into solutions, I came across an individual who suggested creating a RAMDisk for the specific ROM. While I attempted to do this for the custom installation of SNEmulDS, I'm not entirely sure if I understand when a RAMDisk would be necessary or its function, and the results were the same before and after it was added. The steps I followed for doing so were pulled straight from the TWL GitHub Wiki. I followed them as best I could despite the RAMDISK software's apparent updates from the time of that guide's publication, placed the file for the ROM I was attempting to use in sd:/ramdisk/Brain Lord (USA).img, and used the software-specific options to set ramdisk to 0. I also attempted to place this ramdisk folder in sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/emulators/ and run the TWL version of SNEmulDS, to no effect. Any information on how this should be properly done, what its purpose is, and whether it would help at all would be appreciated.
I am posting this because I've run out of ideas on how to otherwise troubleshoot these two programs. I'd greatly appreciate any help y'all could provide.Thanks in advance!

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Hey folks. Sorry for my first post on this site being a question, but I've been lurking these forums over the past few days and seem to have run into some issues. The following is a post I made on the r/NDSHacks subreddit that didn't provide any useful information Hopefully someone can lend me a hand here.

Hey all,

Yesterday I decided to dive into the Homebrew scene a bit after learning about Memory Pit, and while the experience has been great thus far, I am having some issues with TWL's handling of GBA and SNES games. TWL is able to load the emulators for both, but each crashes at their own points. Here is my current setup:
  • NDSiXL Ver. 1.4.5U
  • Kodak SDHC Memory Card, 4GB (FAT32)
  • Memory Pit installed with TWL as BOOT.nds (so as to avoid making permanent modifications to the system NAND - I'm trying my best to play it safe here)
  • TWL 13.1.0, with included versions of GBARunner2 and SNEmulDS
The specific issues are as follows:

For GBARunner2:
  • Despite having a proper BIOS (checksum verified) installed on my root directory, the version of GBARunner2 that came with TWL gets as far as the ROM selection screen before showing a black top screen and a lower screen containing only the purple header bar for the emulator. The system is completely unresponsive (R does not pull up the settings menu) and must be reset.
  • In an attempt to remedy this, I installed the most recent release build of GBARunner2 on my root directory, and while this implementation was able to load the emulator itself and load the GBA startup screen, the games themselves do not load, and hang on a blank white upper screen and black lower screen. For reference, I am using the Internet aArchive no-intro versions of Pokemon Fire Red and Pokemon Sapphire, and both have the same end result.
For SNEmulDS:
  • Much like with GBARunner2, SNEmulDS is unable to load any ROMs when using the version bundled with TWL. Loading a game from the TWL homescreen briefly shows a screen stating that FS Initialization failed, followed by a blank ROM selection screen. Pressing A here causes the emulator to fail to load a ROM, and the it subsequently crashes. Photos are attached below (ignore the old screen protector - this system has been put through its paces ^_^). My ROM (Brain Lord (USA)) is located in sd:/SNES/.
  • View attachment 204920 View attachment 204921 View attachment 204922
  • I attempted to fix this as well by using the most recent build of SNEmulDS from Coto's BitBucket on my root directory. This resulted in a white upper screen, black lower screen, and repeated static sound coming from the system speakers. No ROM selection screen appeared.
  • In looking into solutions, I came across an individual who suggested creating a RAMDisk for the specific ROM. While I attempted to do this for the custom installation of SNEmulDS, I'm not entirely sure if I understand when a RAMDisk would be necessary or its function, and the results were the same before and after it was added. The steps I followed for doing so were pulled straight from the TWL GitHub Wiki. I followed them as best I could despite the RAMDISK software's apparent updates from the time of that guide's publication, placed the file for the ROM I was attempting to use in sd:/ramdisk/Brain Lord (USA).img, and used the software-specific options to set ramdisk to 0. I also attempted to place this ramdisk folder in sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/emulators/ and run the TWL version of SNEmulDS, to no effect. Any information on how this should be properly done, what its purpose is, and whether it would help at all would be appreciated.
I am posting this because I've run out of ideas on how to otherwise troubleshoot these two programs. I'd greatly appreciate any help y'all could provide.Thanks in advance!

first off can you load any roms? i.e. NDS or DSiWare?

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Last edited by Flame,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
try the new update https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/TWiLightMenu/releases

also do you have any other SD card to try? if you do just copy everything there. is if that is the cause.

@Robz8 and @alexander1970 any ideas?

Of course we help each other here and together we would found a Solution.:yay:
That is Community Spirit.
Thank you.:)

NDS ROMs load and play just fine. The one DSiWare title I tried produced an error on the nds-bootstrap logo screen and I have yet to try another one.

Can you please tell us the Title ?
And Version v14.0.0 with bootstrap v0.33.0 is out today (as our Freind @Flame already mentioned,excuse me,I over read it):
https://github.com/DS-Homebrew/TWiLightMenu/releases

Please try it and be so kind and report back please.:)
There are "new" Options in the TWiLight Settings for DSiware.:)

Thank you.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Mixtape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the long response time y'all. I appreciate your patience.

try the new update

also do you have any other SD card to try? if you do just copy everything there. is if that is the cause.

@Flame:
I just finished installing the update. The pre-installed GBARunner2 and SNEmulDS are performing in the same way they were on 13.1.0. I have yet to try a custom installation of either, though - is it worth doing so?
While I don't have another SD card readily available, I might be able to dig one up somewhere. Would capacity be significant at all? I recall reading that some software has issues with cards over 2gb.

Can you please tell us the Title ?
And Version v14.0.0 with bootstrap v0.33.0 is out today (as our Freind Flame already mentioned,excuse me,I over read it):
(link removed due to new member restrictions)

There are "new" Options in the TWiLight Settings for DSiware.:)

@alexander1970:
Hello! The title I attempted to run was Shantae: Risky's Revenge. It was pulled directly from Internet Archive, renamed, and installed. For the sake of testing, I just attempted to do the same with Cave Story and had the same result. Like I told Flame above, I just finished installing the update, but neither GBARunner2, SNEmulDS, nor either of the DSiWare games were able to run. Looking over the settings, I don't see anything new regarding DSiWare, although this may be due to my lack of experience with the menu. What has been added?

Did you set that you're using Memory Pit in the TWL settings?

@maorninja:
Yes, I made sure to do that after I saw it mentioned in the guide. I also verified that it is still set correctly on the new update.

Thank you all for your help so far! I'd like to add a detail that might be relevant. In the TWL settings, under Games and Apps Settings, I have "DSiWare Booter" set to nds-bootstrap, which seemed logical to me since Unlaunch is nowhere on this system. While I'm less concerned with getting DSiWare working than I am with GBARunner2 and SNEmulDS, I felt like that might be good to note for solving the related issue.

Last edited by Mixtape,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry for the long response time y'all. I appreciate your patience.

@Flame:
I just finished installing the update. The pre-installed GBARunner2 and SNEmulDS are performing in the same way they were on 13.1.0. I have yet to try a custom installation of either, though - is it worth doing so?
While I don't have another SD card readily available, I might be able to dig one up somewhere. Would capacity be significant at all? I recall reading that some software has issues with cards over 2gb.

@alexander1970:
Hello! The title I attempted to run was Shantae: Risky's Revenge. It was pulled directly from Internet Archive, renamed, and installed. For the sake of testing, I just attempted to do the same with Cave Story and had the same result. Like I told Flame above, I just finished installing the update, but neither GBARunner2, SNEmulDS, nor either of the DSiWare games were able to run. Looking over the settings, I don't see anything new regarding DSiWare, although this may be due to my lack of experience with the menu. What has been added?

@maorninja:
Yes, I made sure to do that after I saw it mentioned in the guide. I also verified that it is still set correctly on the new update.

Thank you all for your help so far! I'd like to add a detail that might be relevant. In the TWL settings, under Games and Apps Settings, I have "DSiWare Booter" set to nds-bootstrap, which seemed logical to me since Unlaunch is nowhere on this system. While I'm less concerned with getting DSiWare working than I am with GBARunner2 and SNEmulDS, I felt like that might be good to note for solving the related issue.
For Gbarunner2 it seems your bios is fine since the gba intro plays. That means it must be something about the way the roms are loaded since they are no-intro. Make sure to have twilightmenu settings set to DS mode, vram boost off. Also how did you update twilightmenu (make sure to call it that or twlmenu and not TWL because TWL means something else)? Make sure nds-bootstrap-hb-release.nds is in _nds folder for example.

My advice would be to do a clean new install of twilightmenu by deleting its folders on your sd card and transfering the new ones again.

Last edited by Zense,

Mixtape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Gbarunner2 it seems your bios is fine since the gba intro plays. That means it must be something about the way the roms are loaded since they are no-intro. Make sure to have twilightmenu settings set to DS mode, vram boost off. Also how did you update twilightmenu (make sure to call it that or twlmenu and not TWL because TWL means something else)? Make sure nds-bootstrap-hb-release.nds is in _nds folder for example.

My advice would be to do a clean new install of twilightmenu by deleting its folders on your sd card and transfering the new ones again.
Apologies for misusing the TWL term. It seemed logical given the name and I had seen something using the acronym mentioned before, so I just assumed that's what it was referencing. My bad.

It's good to know that the BIOS is good. I have twilightmenu set to run in ds mode and vram boost is off. I updated it by by following the "DSiWarehax/Unlaunch Update instructions" under the "How to update TWiLight Menu" page of the github wiki. I copied the update files directly over the old ones, replacing anything that was already present. I can certainly try a reinstall though - I'll do that real quick and edit this post with the results.

Edit/Update:
I just finished doing a complete reinstall. I figured it would be best to start completely fresh on 14.0.0, so I deleted the entirety of the _nds file and boot file. I then installed /_nds to the root of my SD, merged that file with the one under "DSi&3DS - SD card users," and installed the boot.nds in that same file to my root directory. I left the settings untouched aside from setting my exploit to Memory Pit. When I attempted to start Pokemon Sapphire, I got the same result as before.
IMG_20200418_183157_1.jpg

SNEmulDS is unchanged as well. The same sequence shows up.

Last edited by Mixtape,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Mixtape Okay, just to be sure, you're not patching your game in any way with any romhacks etc.? I'll test Pkmn Sapphire myself just to be sure because I noticed the latest couple of builds had some issues with Ruby, but that one still boots fine. Also just for the heck of it try pressing B when that gbarunner2 screen comes up when booting a game.

Not sure if you need to set your exploit to memory pit in the settings unless it regards DSiware? I really don't know much about when to use that option and not, but I know on my DSi I didn't change that. I did install unlaunch and hiyacfw though so that might be a difference. Someone else ihere s bound to know this better than me however.

Anyways no need to apologize about using the wrong terms, it's just that you might get misunderstood.

Last edited by Zense,

Mixtape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Mixtape Okay, just to be sure, you're not patching your game in any way with any romhacks etc.? I'll test Pkmn Sapphire myself just to be sure because I noticed the latest couple of builds had some issues with Ruby, but that one still boots fine. Also just for the heck of it try pressing B when that gbarunner2 screen comes up when booting a game.

Not sure if you need to set your exploit to memory pit in the settings unless it regards DSiware? I really don't know much about when to use that option and not, but I know on my DSi I didn't change that. I did install unlaunch and hiyacfw though so that might be a difference. Someone else ihere s bound to know this better than me however.

Anyways no need to apologize about using the wrong terms, it's just that you might get misunderstood.
Correct, the ROM is completely vanilla, straight off of the source website. It should be a clean sample. Pressing B on the GBARunner2 screen has no effect. I just tested every button and none are responsive except power (which, interestingly enough, shuts off the system quickly and is able to soft reset it as opposed to only being able to force a power cycle.)
I'm not sure what setting the exploit setting does either, but I figured it was best to follow maorninja's advice just in case.
Thank you for the clarification on the terminology. I appreciate your (and everybody else's) help and patience. :bow:

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Correct, the ROM is completely vanilla, straight off of the source website. It should be a clean sample. Pressing B on the GBARunner2 screen has no effect. I just tested every button and none are responsive except power (which, interestingly enough, shuts off the system quickly and is able to soft reset it as opposed to only being able to force a power cycle.)
I'm not sure what setting the exploit setting does either, but I figured it was best to follow maorninja's advice just in case.
Thank you for the clarification on the terminology. I appreciate your (and everybody else's) help and patience. :bow:
Okay, I just tested every revision of Pokemon Sapphire and it boots fine after the gba bios screen. Had you already tried changing the DLDI access on gbarunner2 settings in twilightmenu? It should probably be set to arm7 even though it shouldn't matter when you're running off the SD card. Also, it's a stupid thing but double check that your SD card is not set to lock. Not sure how the other homebrew apps behave if this is the case, but you can try to go into any game that works and save even though I think you'd have problems even running nds roms if your card is set to write locked mode. (NDS, DSiWare etc.).

The only thing I can imagine doing is backing up the content of your card and doing a format with guiformat and 32kb cluster size.

If that doesn't work then I can only think it has to do with the fact that you do not have unlaunch installed (if I am correct about that?).

Mixtape

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I just tested every revision of Pokemon Sapphire and it boots fine after the gba bios screen. Had you already tried changing the DLDI access on gbarunner2 settings in twilightmenu? It should probably be set to arm7 even though it shouldn't matter when you're running off the SD card. Also, it's a stupid thing but double check that your SD card is not set to lock. Not sure how the other homebrew apps behave if this is the case, but you can try to go into any game that works and save even though I think you'd have problems even running nds roms if your card is set to write locked mode. (NDS, DSiWare etc.).

The only thing I can imagine doing is backing up the content of your card and doing a format with guiformat and 32kb cluster size.

If that doesn't work then I can only think it has to do with the fact that you do not have unlaunch installed (if I am correct about that?).
I hadn't tried changing to ARM7, but I just gave it a shot and nothing changed. The SD is definitely unlocked.
I might give the reformat a shot tomorrow and see if that helps.
And you are correct, unlaunch is not installed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • D @ dadadad:
    Is it safe to delete the entire atmosphere folder? I don't remember what else was there, like edizon and tesla menu are installed through atmosphere, is it not a problem, will I not damage the system? There were too many mods, I won’t be able to contact each one, nothing was said about deleting in the description.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa nothing that can't easily be replaced
    +1
    @dadadad no don't do that
    that will reset the configs
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    where can i find a clean copy of the mii maker for the wii u (EU)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Arne214, We don't ask for roms.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    The installation was only through rofms and in the game folder in content. What else can I do?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I already told them about that and yet they make a thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Well I'm sure the mods will take care of it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    +2
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise. +2