Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

MSearles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for posting this here, but if someone could please answer this for me. Is this the flash card that everyone recommends to purchase in terms of the best for playing DS roms on an N3DS XL? I want to purchase a flashcart ASAP, but want to make sure I'm purchasing the right one first. http://www.modchipsdirect.com/r4i-3ds-r4ds-wood.html

ZswSpUp.jpg

Last edited by MSearles,

Ranomez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
That's the same one I linked to. Although where I purchased it from, it costs $2.00 more but ships from New York instead of outside of the U.S.A.
I have the non-rts version of that in my DSi XL and many games with protection randomly freeze while playing, some of them have AP cheats that allow them to work but some of them you actually need to AP patch the rom yourself to make it work (note: even if you edit the cheat list to add the correct AP cheat for a specific game some still don't work unless you patch the rom, also all my roms are self dumps).
In my 3DS XL I have an ace3ds+ (that does not work on the final firmware version for the DSi) and that does not have that happening.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
The quake ds ports(1 and 2) are playable at the moment? As far as i know they were homebrew but i didn't have the time to test them yet

Quake 2 requires a slot 2 cart containing at least 16MB of RAM to run. That sums with the original DS's 4MB for 20MB of RAM.
Even if you were to modify it to be aware of the DSi's additional memory space, that's only 16MB available.
However I did see this...
https://github.com/ahezard/wood3ds/commits/master
ahezard said:
So, perhaps more memory is available?

Quake 1 on the other hand doesn't require extra RAM so it may work out of the box. If you really want I could give it a shot.

Both games are open source though. Rather than trying to patch DLDI support into it with all the associated caveats it may be better to write SD support directly.

ahezard

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Quake 2 requires a slot 2 cart containing at least 16MB of RAM to run. That sums with the original DS's 4MB for 20MB of RAM.
Even if you were to modify it to be aware of the DSi's additional memory space, that's only 16MB available.
However I did see this...
https://github.com/ahezard/wood3ds/commits/master

So, perhaps more memory is available?

Quake 1 on the other hand doesn't require extra RAM so it may work out of the box. If you really want I could give it a shot.

Both games are open source though. Rather than trying to patch DLDI support into it with all the associated caveats it may be better to write SD support directly.
No, sadly only 16mb is available. I had the impression that more was available but it was due to an improper memory test code. There may be a way in twl_firm to unlock more though but it is not my priority right now.

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately I'm back to report (for compatibilitiy's sake) that NetHack DS seems kind of unstable. On a longer play session, it tends to freeze eventually. Haven't had a chance to test anything else out yet.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
No, sadly only 16mb is available. I had the impression that more was available but it was due to an improper memory test code. There may be a way in twl_firm to unlock more though but it is not my priority right now.

Even with just the DSi's 16MB of memory, that's an extra 12MB to play with.
Perhaps it can be used for a cache? If disk I/O is the major bottleneck then a cache may be useful.
But then that's something to worry about at a much later stage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.