DS Hacking Noob seeking help

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Lanlan, May 4, 2011.

May 4, 2011

DS Hacking Noob seeking help by Lanlan at 8:21 AM (2,122 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    hey everyone. i'm wanting to get into DS hacking. i've looked for tutorials but i'm completely new to ds hacking. my wii has been hacked for some time now, so if any knowledge from that carries over to ds hacking, cool.

from what i understand, all i need is an r4 card. is this correct? what is a good r4 card? how is emulation on ds? any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Right above the section...you are posting in the wrong one, but to answer your question, all you need is a "flashcart". A good "flashcart" depends on what your goals are. There are threads for that, just search for them. Emulation on the DS is "mediocre" to "not good".

3. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    ok well if any mods are reading this, i sincerely apologize, and please move this thread. and what's a good flashcart? where's a reliable website for ds like wiibrew for wii?

and as for my wants, i wanna play gba, snes, and ds games as well as media files and browse the internet. i understand flashcarts can't play gba games (well, ds cart shaped flashcarts. slot 1?), so should i get a gba cart flashcart as well?

4. SlickGate

Newcomer SlickGate Advanced Member

China
    Well, I am sure only supercard dstwo can do it.
    As for the gba games, since the SCDS2 have a built-in Cup or something like that , it can run gba games (though some games not in a full speed.)

5. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    To browse the internet you have to have either a DSi or the official Nintendo browser and memory pack for DS or DS Lite. However web browsing on the DS is poor at best.

As SlickGate said the Supercard DSTwo is your best bet as it has it's own GBA and SNES emulators and a Media player all of which use it's built in extra RAM and CPU however it is expensive and do make sure you get a good quality, fast Micro SDHC card.

6. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    how's the r4 ds revolution? from what i've read it seems to be pretty good for ds games, and it's dirt cheap. will it run a media player?

7. Buleste

Member Buleste Old Fart

United Kingdom
    There are a million and 1 so called R4 revolutions on the market. Some are good, most are poor. If you want a cheap card that has superb NDS game compatibility buy an AceKard2i.

8. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    anyone second his acekard 2i recommendation? anyone object? and do you have to format the sd to acekard's filesystem? i'd rather have a card that runs on fat16/32. and does it have sdhc support?

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  10. Shadow#1

Member Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

United States
    I second his acekard 2i recommendation.

11. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    so the r4i gold and acekard2i are looking the best to me at the moment. do either of them run on fat?

12. jurassicplayer

United States
    I second the PSP recommendation....Oh, it wasn't recommended. Well that is what WOULD be recommended for portable emulation maybe...For just normal NDS games, probably one of those Wood compatible flashcarts or an Acekard if you want to keep to the cheaper side of things...more expensive flashcarts are...well more expensive.

-edit-
    All flashcarts run on the DSLite and DSPhat.

13. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    and is there any software tricks i should know? like how the wii has ios's and the trucha bug and all that good stuff

14. jurassicplayer

United States
    Nope, nothing at all. Just be able to differentiate firmware and kernel, look before you jump, and make your own decisions. The NDS scene is fairly brainless to get into.

15. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    alright, sounds easy. r4i gold or acekard2i?? both are like the same price. and should i order from shoptemp?

16. jurassicplayer

United States
    If you are choosing between an R4iGold and an Acekard, practically EVERYONE will recommend an AK over any R4 clone. As for ordering, shoptemp only has listings of shops that sell flashcarts (sort of like a flashcart shop database). You can look around the forums for reviews and stuff pretty easily.

17. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Ah, crap, I skimmed your second post.

GBA emulation on slot-1 is a no-go, and SNES emulation is spotty at best, I really recommend a PSP for portable emulation, it's miles above what the DS can do. Yes if you want to play GBA games you'll need a slot-2 (GBA slot) flash cart in conjunction with a slot-1.

Any DS flash cart will run on the original fat one, no software tricks (you only need to worry with the DSi/3DS, and those are minor worries compared to the wii).

Shoptemp doesn't sell stuff, it categorizes and holds reviews and info on shops.

R4i Gold or Acekard 2i is your choice, both have constantly-updated software to run DS games.

18. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    ok i've seen a slot-2 3-in-1 gba cart but it looked like it only fits a ds lite. is there one for ds and ds lite? like the size of a regular gba cart? is it a good cart? i don't really need rumble

Posts merged

and just to be clear, slot-2 gba isn't emulation, it's just running backups, right?

19. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    and someone answer my file system question please. it seems the acekard2i doesn't need a formatted sd, but i don't know

20. jurassicplayer

United States
    For a DSPhat, you want to try looking at the EZIV IIRC (one of those ezflash products anyways). And just to clarify, yeah it isn't emulation.

-edit-
    Format of the microSD is either FAT32 or FAT16...It doesn't REALLY matter which you choose, though generally people use FAT32 since it IS default.