DS Batteries

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by airpirate545, May 20, 2008.

May 20, 2008

DS Batteries by airpirate545 at 1:04 AM (1,332 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. airpirate545
    OP

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Do they make batteries especially made ofr their long lasting qualities? I'm taking a long trip to the Philippines soon it's gonna take like a whole day and I wanted to download a whole bunch of movies to watch. Also wanted to buy some new batteries as I'm beginning to notice the long term effects of lost battery life [​IMG] . Was hoping they made a DS batteries especially made for its long lasting properties...

2. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    The Nintendo DS uses Lithium Ion batteries and well, the battery you get with the DS is just about the max a battery can last. So if you plan on going on a long trip, bring an adapter along or a couple backup batteries and a small screw driver. Also as with all Lithium Ion betters, they have a finite life span, in about 2-3 years, a Lithium Ion battery only has about 50-60% of its charging capacity. So it does need to be replaced every couple years.

Though if you don't properly take care of the battery, the life span can be drastically shorter.

3. ptudia

Banned ptudia Banned

United States
  4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    My friend and I went to Radio Shack and bought a four-AA battery compartment, which we then wired up to one end of a car charger we chopped in half. Add four AA batteries and you've got a portable charger based off of disposable batteries you can easily buy anywhere. The main concern with this is that since each AA battery supplies 1.5 Volts, you're sending 6 Volts through the charger port which is designed for 5 (well, 5.2 according to the plastic etching by the charger port). This is probably still within the safe range, but you'd want to be careful nonetheless. Rechargeable AA batteries supply a bit less than 1.5 Volts, so that's another option for this portable charger.

5. Sizzlechest

Newcomer Sizzlechest Member

United States
    Yes, but not all Lithium Ion batteries are the same. The standard Nintendo DS Lite battery specs are 3.7V at 1000mAh. If you can find one with a higher capacity, it will last longer. (I believe the original DS was only 750-850!)

It's pretty easy to find 1200mAh replacement batteries, but I don't think it will add much playing time.

EDIT: A Google search found a 1600 mAh battery:

http://www.gameyeeeah.com/nintendo-ds-nds-...1600v-p-71.html

However, the reviews are horrible. I'd stay away from this particular battery.

6. Swip

Member Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Plane trips can be boring, hes going from America to Philippines (which is in Asia if you didn't know where it is.)
    Either get a portable charger or get some spare battery packs and put tape on your battery cover instead of the screw, you wouldn't want to be taking out a screw in a plane. And can you even bring a screw driver into the plane?'

7. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
  8. Sticks

Member Sticks GBAtemp Regular

Australia
  9. airpirate545
    OP

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  10. SchuchWun

Member SchuchWun GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Is there such thing as a USB charger for the DS??? If so where to get one? The charger seems pretty simple only two wires and USB is 5Volts anyways.

Comments?

11. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    A few third party accessories have been made by Intec and Nyko I believe. Even the deluxe edition of the TTDS comes with a usb charger.

12. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I own one myself, but it takes twice as long to charge from a USB than it does from an AC/DC :[