DS #4446: Sideswiped (USA)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chanser, Nov 19, 2009.

Nov 19, 2009

DS #4446: Sideswiped (USA) by Chanser at 6:38 AM (8,680 Views / 0 Likes) 41 replies

1. Chanser
    OP

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    ^^ndsrelease-5687^^

2. DarthYoshi

Member DarthYoshi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Looks "smashing!" haha. I'm so funny [​IMG]

So anyway, videos remind me of the old N64 games "San Francisco Rush". Except... with more smashing.

3. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Isn't this the localised version of Clash King?

4. DarthYoshi

Member DarthYoshi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes. I believe it is.

EDIT: IGN.com says so =P Go there and click "Game Editions" almost right above the box art.

5. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    You go faster when you crash into things? Paradox much?

6. HiroshiYamauchi

Member HiroshiYamauchi GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I've been playing the japanese version for a good long while. It's the best DS racer out there without any doubt (excluding Mario Kart DS, of course).

7. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Looks pretty good. I'll give this a go. [​IMG]

8. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Yeah this does look pretty sweet. It reminds me of Burnout Revenge where the cars fly off into the distance when you smash into them. [​IMG]

9. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    Looks like fun. The Burnout: Legends game sucked real bad just to let you know.

10. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    If that was a reply to me I was referring to Burnout Legends on PS2. [​IMG] Of course the DS version of Burnout sucked... :/

11. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    The PS2 does not have Burnout Legends...

12. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Doh! My bad... Burnout Revenge... So many Burnouts...

13. ibis_87

Member ibis_87 GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Well, now it looks even more Burnoutish than it was the case with the Japanese release. Well, THE proper Burnout is finally in English, let`s celebrate! [​IMG]

14. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    Does this have multiplayer Wi-Fi?

15. SoulAnger

Member SoulAnger MENUdo's Developer

Philippines
    Why isnt anybody comparing it to Asphalt: Urban GT 2? [​IMG]
    It was more Burnout-like than Burnout Legends DS would ever be. XD

16. kingsanto

Member kingsanto GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It doesn't appear to. You can check your worldwide ranking through Wi-Fi though, heh. This kinda reminds me of Destruction Derby. I'm digging it.

17. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    I liked it...played it from beginning to end...but in short incriments...because the gameplay started to get shallow and

OMG MOBBBYYYYY!!!! [​IMG]

I was ripping my hair out with that song....why the fuck have a side caption showing what song it is...WHEN ITS THE SAME ONE AND ONLY ONE!?! [​IMG]

but I forgive him due to his re-make of Extreme Ways in the Bourne Ultimatum [​IMG]

the 4th one on the DSi one is too easy. and cheaply made..and no hawt chicks in it either [​IMG]

On topic...OMGG THIS GAME IS A BLAST! [​IMG] :yaylite:

18. HtheB

Member HtheB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I'll give this a try [​IMG]

The best racing game for the DS is still Asphalt Urban GT2 imo [​IMG]

19. shito

Member shito GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    i was playing the japanese vresion it's realy cool, has crazy minigames and lots of missions if you want to kill some time i recomend this game!

20. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I was playing this for hours yesterday! [​IMG] It's much more fun when you can actually read the objectives (compared to Clash King) and therefore know what the hell you're supposed to be doing. I rank this game among the top echelon of racers on the DS, a sleeper-hit to be sure. Put it next to Speed Racer as one of the best psychotic racing games on the DS. I mean, the cars show damage, the shadows are rendered in real-time and explosions and mayhem all over the place. Beyond being a really fun arcade racer, it's really a very technically impressive title on our little DS. Just the sheer amount of action going on at one time is jaw-dropping. It's the kind of game I've been saying we need more of on the DS. A game the makes you go WOOHOO! while you're playing it.

All that action does take its toll though, I see some slowdown here-and-there. But I think I can forgive that in lieu of all the insanity going on in this game. It's just plain FUN to play. Well, at least it is for me. I'm loving it!

It has fully customizable controls. You can set the buttons up any way you wish in the options. You can even set it to use stylus controls, though I think you'd have to be nuts to try and play the game that way.

This game is sorta like Destruction Derby, Flatout or Burnout, with some over-the-top effects that are really amazing to see coming from a DS.

Someone asked about a comparison to Asphalt? This makes Asphalt look like Driver's Ed. In other words, Asphalt's very tame compared to Sideswiped. For one thing, this game's framerate is higher. Another difference is that Sideswiped is crash-and-bash racing......it has more.....varied objectives.....than a regular racing game. It's not just straight-up racing. Sideswiped is in no way even remotely realistic. It's pure arcade insanity. Quite a different game than Asphalt.

The original boxart has the blue WiFi symbol on it. But it's just online rankings. Multiplayer is local-only up to 4 players. There is also a 2-player mode where 2 people take turns playing on one DS, passing it back and forth.

Sideswiped definitely gets a permanent spot on my flashcard! I give it an easy 9 out of 10. It's just plain fun to play and I can't ask for anything more than that.