DS #2704: Disgaea DS (USA)

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It runs a little slow, some voice work has been cut (thus far), but it's amazing what they did to compact it down on the DS. Not to mention, to 64MB too.
ohmy.gif
I am impressed with it.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dib said:
It's only 64MB? Even less once trimmed, obviously. That's not very impressive, most good games in this category are at least 128. World Destruction is helping raise the bar to 256.
Good games have nothing to do with filesize.

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
dib said:
It's only 64MB? Even less once trimmed, obviously. That's not very impressive, most good games in this category are at least 128. World Destruction is helping raise the bar to 256.

if he wants a bigger size add in files and code that can brick his ds

on topic: im loving this game right now

Pizzaroo

douchebag
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Aww, so close from being the file name of the month award. if only there was an E... DISU DISU DISU DISU! The award goes to STFU so far >:{P

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
dib said:
Did I say anything about it being a prerequisite for being _good_? Show me where.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think part of the point dib was trying to get at is...they could've done a bit more such as increasing sound quality or textures if they bumped it up to 128. The gripes about quality loss going to the DS could be less than they are.

That said, I'm liking it so far and it's my first exposure to Disgaea too.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't play the PS2 version since I prefer RPGs on the go so Disgaea on PSP made me not sell the PSP and then made me rack up several hundred hours on it. So to play this version seems like a massive step backwards. The fact that everything is so zoomed in and music sounding different.

Maybe it's because I'm putting it down to the fact that I can't be bothered with the whole getting past the tutorial thing, starting the grind all over again just for a few extra little content which means that this is one rom that won't stay on my flashcart for long. For new fans of Disgaea, it's still worth a check.

NOW WHERE IS MY PORTABLE DISGAEA 2?

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Harsky said:
I didn't play the PS2 version since I prefer RPGs on the go so Disgaea on PSP made me not sell the PSP and then made me rack up several hundred hours on it. So to play this version seems like a massive step backwards. The fact that everything is so zoomed in and music sounding different.

Maybe it's because I'm putting it down to the fact that I can't be bothered with the whole getting past the tutorial thing, starting the grind all over again just for a few extra little content which means that this is one rom that won't stay on my flashcart for long. For new fans of Disgaea, it's still worth a check.

NOW WHERE IS MY PORTABLE DISGAEA 2?

I agree with you on all counts.

If you have a PSP, get it for the PSP.

If you can't, then make do with the DS.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Well, 128 MB games is just better in things like sounds and other stuffs, but the fact that they compressed it to 64MB surprises me, isn't a DVD game takes up to a few GBs? and PSP games isn't that merciful either, how much space does Disgaea PSP consume? 700MB or what?

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I figured out what seems to be a working undub.

Use dslazy to unpack both the US and JPN version
Copy msgvo.dat msgvo.dat.tbl voice.dat voicedat.tbl from the data directory of the JPN release to the US
Repack the US version with dslazy

I only played for a few minutes but everything seems to be intact and the voices seem to match the text. The intro speech is cut off because the Japanese voiceover is apparently longer, but I don't know what you'd do about that.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Is this really a RPG or is this just another one of those generic strategy "RPG" titles the DS already drowns in? How can people play that game for 200 or 300 hours? Doesn't it have a story that just ends somewhere?

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raestloz said:
Well, 128 MB games is just better in things like sounds and other stuffs, but the fact that they compressed it to 64MB surprises me, isn't a DVD game takes up to a few GBs? and PSP games isn't that merciful either, how much space does Disgaea PSP consume? 700MB or what?
It gives us some idea of what to expect based upon the number of resources. You can't correlate rom size to intangible qualities like fun or longevity, but the fact is that you couldn't compress something like Tales of Innocence down to 64MB which is on the high end for production values and entertainment.

On the plus side, this game does use nearly the full 64MB for game content. I think it only trims down a few hundred KB, so they cut it pretty close.

feds4u

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Holy smoke this game turned out well. I did not expect that to happen. I already have too much to play and I wanted to ignore this game. Now I'm not sure I can do that.

Oh and if I had to choose I'd get the DS version. Its the most evolved version at this point. Mainly because its the newest version.

Dempa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Has anyone got it to work on DSX?
When I use the Arm7 fix it gives me the "a save-error occurred" when I start up the game.
When I don't just the Arm7 fix I can play the game but when I try to save the same "save error" appears.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto