ROM Hack Disgaea Undub

Zagger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I usually do my own undubs since its so simple ( changing sound files with dslazy ), but in this rom i have no idea where to get the sound files, so i was guessing if anyone can make one since this is a game that is should be played with the original voice acting IMO

Everon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a copy of the japanese version and take the msgvo.dat file. That file has all the voice work.

Its not a simple cut and paste however. It seems in the translation process, the north american team cut out bits and rewrote the intro. For that reason the voice work won't sync up.

I'll keep playing to see if this doesn't change. It'll probably be something simple like pulling apart the file and renumbering a few things.

sleeping_forest

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i tried but i failed miserably for undubing... it just confuses me. btw when you do undub do you think you can put a link or something to the undubed nds rom?

Zagger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well i changed those 4 files and so far so good... will report back if something doesnt work. Thanks btw

Everon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Behold the power of the script-hacker!
tongue.gif
This is pretty simple actually.

Anyhow, forgot to reply after playing a bit more. Seem like everyone figured it out though. The voices.dat file is for the sounds during combat and msgvo.dat is for the textual conversations. The *.tbl files are to keep the text and sounds synced to the appropriate places.

Just replace those four and it should work.

GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
da_head said:
LOL i dislike dubbing as well, but isn't this going a bit too far?? undubbing o.O

Thank you for asking! The answer is no! No it is not!

Thank you for choosing the internet!

Meanwhile, back at discovering the secrets to undubbing Disgaea DS...

I'm not sure what's wrong with replacing the (U) version's aforementioned voice files with the (J) version's, although it's .4 something-units larger.

jophilo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Zagger said:
Well i changed those 4 files and so far so good... will report back if something doesnt work. Thanks btw

How did you changed them ? I'm trying whit dslazy (unpack the jp rom, pick up the 4 files, unpack the us one, remplace the files, repack the rom) but it won't load. Am i missing someting ?

HernanZh

Trophies
Website
www.heigames.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I tried it myself. I only played/watched until Larharl gets up and it all seems to be working fine with replacing those 4 files. Can't guarantee the game will break at some point or something though.

QUOTE said:
How did you changed them ? I'm trying whit dslazy (unpack the jp rom, pick up the 4 files, unpack the us one, remplace the files, repack the rom) but it won't load. Am i missing someting ?
Can't see anything you're doing wrong.

jophilo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
HernanZh said:
Well, I tried it myself. I only played/watched until Larharl gets up and it all seems to be working fine with replacing those 4 files. Can't guarantee the game will break at some point or something though.

QUOTE said:
Can't see anything you're doing wrong.

hate2.gif
!!!!!!! Thx for the answer dude
wink2.gif
. Someone else can help me on this please
cry.gif
?

Zagger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It´s not that the english voices are bad... the seiyuus who do the voice acting for the japanese versions usually do a better job and it sounds way better.

homkhivar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to resync voice with the game just replace the US intro by the japanese one. it's the DAT file named bg or bgm, can't remember wich one i tried.

i replaced

- msgvo.dat
- msgvo.dat.tbl
- bg.dat or bgm.dat

works fine...for now
wink.gif
enjoy

xanth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question:

I replaced msgvo.dat, msgvo.dat.tbl, and bg.dat, but the battle voices are still the English dub I think (people saying things like "Die!"). Intro and talky text in the beginning did get replaced with the Japanese dub.

Any way I can fix it so I have the battle voices in Japanese too?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zTei5RMhQ8