DS #2704: Disgaea DS (USA)

diskenth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Disgaea isn't a long game by all means. Anyone can avoid all the extra grinding and powerlevelling to complete the game within 24 hours. It's just that... OHKOing bosses is something most Disgaea cultists strive for!

diskenth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In Disgaea, level 9999 isn't actually strong. Sure you can one shot everything at normal difficulty, but the real power comes from items. If you maxed out your item, you could give a level 1 character a weapon you've maxed and it would do 99999 damage with every swing, or give him an armor you've maxed and he'll never take damage. If he does, the item gives him a million life anyways.

In any case, here's a sample of what completely finished characters can do to a normal mob:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHnYIqdZL6k

He's above level 9999 (In the status screen it would display 9999 with rebirth counters. Counting the rebirth counters is the only way to get an estimate of your true level.), and his weapons and armor are all maxed out with maxed bonuses. Either he used codes, or he traded away his life to become a god.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
enarky said:
Seems not to be my type of game, though... like NatsuMatto I'd rather have a game with an ending I can look forward too, that can be achieved within a reasonable amount of time. I don't want to have to safe the world a second, third and fourth time, just to get the maximum out of a game. Once should be enough.
wink.gif
Just to state matter-of-factly: this game is supposed to have something like ten endings. And from my own impressions playing the first few levels, I think a lot of the systems aren't actually necessary, they're more likely present to appeal to the hardcore types and give them something to do for longevity and replayability. I don't imagine I'll be levelling anybody into the four digits unless it occurs under the normal course of gameplay, but I'm still finding the game considerably entertaining with the caveat that one enjoys strategy games.

NatsuMatto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
enarky said:
Seems not to be my type of game, though... like NatsuMatto I'd rather have a game with an ending I can look forward too, that can be achieved within a reasonable amount of time. I don't want to have to safe the world a second, third and fourth time, just to get the maximum out of a game. Once should be enough.
wink.gif
Just to state matter-of-factly: this game is supposed to have something like ten endings. And from my own impressions playing the first few levels, I think a lot of the systems aren't actually necessary, they're more likely present to appeal to the hardcore types and give them something to do for longevity and replayability. I don't imagine I'll be levelling anybody into the four digits unless it occurs under the normal course of gameplay, but I'm still finding the game considerably entertaining with the caveat that one enjoys strategy games.

Even on the first few levels, I felt like I had to seriously grind between battles in order to be able to win. Maybe I just suck, I dunno. I love FFTA, love Jeanne d'Arc... quit playing Disgaea after just a few hours. Shrug.

diskenth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That shouldn't be the case... Laharl should be decimating everything in his path without any grinding save for the mandatory trip to item world to raise his weapon to lvl 10 for a certain event.

Code:
(Easily done with a group of 8-10 brawlers who setup a massive "lift" tower and toss each other to the floor's exit. If the exit is being blocked by a monster, you can use the brawler's first skill to knock the monster off of it. To learn that said skill, you must attack with the brawler and train his weapon mastery to Rank 1.)

I recommend using these guides:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/game/589678.html

Or this walkthrough:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/589678/26230

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, my friend said he grew to hate this game because halfway through you only needed to use Leharl to beat any level...although I've heard they made the DS version harder, so I hope that's not the case. I didn't like FFTA2 because I felt like the actual amount of strategy you needed to use was rather thin, and this game seems like it's more focused on strategy than simply attacking enemies from behind. I hope that's the case...

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trygle12 said:
Anyone else experiencing some slowdown on their cart?

It feels slow for some reason.
There are a few framerate glitches in the DS version, but I believe this is on the official card as well. I could be wrong though. I haven't noticed any major issues on the Supercard DS-ONE so far though! Seems to go about 30fps and rarely seems to dip much.

Shichibukai

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I read before in some post that it's zoomed in a lot. You know that you can change it right? dunno if someone alredy posted it but there.

Penguins ROCK they pawn!
Trim Disgaea and you get 100 kb only out?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shichibukai said:
I read before in some post that it's zoomed in a lot. You know that you can change it right? dunno if someone alredy posted it but there.

Penguins ROCK they pawn!
Trim Disgaea and you get 100 kb only out?
bad trim.

happened to JUS too for some people.

anyway, zooming has a nice little button on the right of the touch screen.

MoonCHildus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
concealed identity said:
Yeah, my friend said he grew to hate this game because halfway through you only needed to use Leharl to beat any level...although I've heard they made the DS version harder, so I hope that's not the case. I didn't like FFTA2 because I felt like the actual amount of strategy you needed to use was rather thin, and this game seems like it's more focused on strategy than simply attacking enemies from behind. I hope that's the case...

You seriously can't imagine how true this statement about disgaea being all about strategy is. I ve seen a friend of mine finish it @ around 38 hours, no grinding at all, simply by using in a ridiculously smart way the lifting and pushing of characters, the synergistic attacks and the combos and everything around him, every available option. The downside was that he was stuck on chapter 8 for like forever while trying to figure out how to pass a certain level. But... he didnt grind
tongue.gif

I finished it on PSP with lots of grinding @ around 62 hours, but of course when the final battle ensued the basic protagonist was like 10 lvls above the main adversary (just to be on the safe side). And still I didn't get the "good" ending, blerfghhh.

The game btw has specifically 7 endings, some of them harder to get than others. You can google the specifics for the endings, although if you want to go spoiler-free, finish it at least one time, and then start a new game+, your characters will retain experience, levels and itemisation, which means you can storm through the game in order to achieve a desired ending.

and remember, if the main story finishes you can play the Etna mode too
wink.gif

diskenth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Most people opt to just use Laharl to destroy everything... With this method, you need to create tons of weak expendable characters to lift and throw with. They're cheap to heal at the hospital, so you basically get free attacks by having Laharl attack a mob, then tossing him back into the spawn panel; 9 free attacks before Laharl starts taking any damage...
Extremely overpowered.

And then it gets better: After Laharl reaches the point where he can one shot high level mobs, you can use him to powerlevel lower characters by having his disciples stand next to him while he finishes off a mob with a team attack.

But I digress... The depth of this game is miles away from the likes of FFTA2.

NatsuMatto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's the game's "depth" that is a problem for many people. I think they do a pretty horrible job explaining what you're supposed to DO in the game... don't really explain strategies for using followers, don't really explain the "dark assembly," don't really explain much about the item worlds. As a new player, not feeling like I know what I was doing completely turned me off.

People who get into it seem to REALLY get into it. I think it just depends on your personal tastes in games. This one obviously wasn't for me.

henkje.doc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
GreenBanana said:
Fails to work on M3 Simply's latest firmware with or without arm7 patching. Which doesn't matter as much as it used to since M3 Sakura obsoleted everything else.

Have here two M3 simply's. The one tested with Firmware 1.13 gave the save error. With firmware 1.14 (latest) the game is working great.

M3 sakura is for M3Real and not for M3 Simply

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Both of mine are i5's lol
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon