DS #2438: Sid Meiers Civilization Revolution (USA)

Edward Hyena

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's a "speedier campaign" than the PC, that'll be welcome. I started a campaign from scratch in Civ III and a month later it was still the 1800s. Also, full scale war gets hard to keep track of when no one has flight yet.

moo422

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i feel so .. straitjacketed ..
the interface could use some work -- i accidentally sped up the production of 3-4 buildings by accident.
lack of a production queue threw me off, i never quite knew what i was producing in each city at a glance.
i've been spoiled by the PC experience, clearly. too many years of 4X games. Civ 1 Civ 2 Civ 4 MOO MOO2 MOM .. daaaah!!!

- from the keyboard of a PC-Civ Snob

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moots said:
feds4u said:
This is a really ambitious title that is also very fun to play.

Color me impressed.

(ds sure has had a great couple of months, twewy, arknoid, fft2a, TC2, space invaders extreme, etc, etc, etc, etc.....)

Yeah and its going to be like that pretty much till august, haven't checked past then but there is some promising stuff to still be released.
And september seeing a new sonic platformer!
biggrin.gif
!!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VVoltz™ said:
How does it compare to the N-Gage title? (which was a port of the PSX version which was accidentally sweet!)
Its more simplified, I prefer the N-Gage game to this one (and the proper Civ games) but still this is one major time eater though way too easy.

Orillian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I've played through 3 games since downloading it and it plays well! The overall game has been drastically simplified compared to the core Civ Titles. It's like Civ lite in many ways. If you play Civ games for the LONG strategy/tactics game and want that for the DS, then forget Revolution. The game is so simplified I can finish a domination game in less then an hour. My UN Victory game took a little longer.

So far I'm enjoying the game. But I would be hard pressed to group it with the rest of the Civ games out there!

Thoughts:

Some of the veteran upgrades can get pretty insane when combined, Especially when you can join 3 units together as an army and gain all their perks in one. On my second game I had a legion army that was a "Ninja Thunder Army!" LOL! It never died and I used it right through the end game for a full domination game. LOL!

The game rewards the player that gets out front fast with tech! I got so many civ perks and bonus units, during the three games I played I found at times it almost snowballed me through to the win.

My first game on Chieftain was SO insanely easy it felt almost like a tutorial game, don't play at this level at all if you want to enjoy more then your first game, the enemies do not make any effort at all to build up and it's basically a sweep! Warlord was a bit harder but still felt to easy so for my third game I upgraded to King difficulty level and actually got some fight out of one of my adversaries, even lost a couple cities due to a lack of attention. Emperor lvl next.

The maps are a LOT more compressed then what I'm used to with Civ Games even compared to small map games. because of this some of the late game units like the jets and battleships seem almost useless considering the fact that roads allow super fast movement of units almost completely across the map and roads are cheap, cheap cheap and easy to build! I only seem to be building late game air and sea units to get to other islands for temples or to finish exploring the map, all three games I played had all the civs on a single landmass.

Regarding the graphics. The graphics are rather old school. Felt very Civ II like, but in a slightly more compressed format. I didn't really care about the lack of animations and such, it kept the game clean and uncluttered which I feel a lot of extra animations might have done considering the serious lack of screen real estate to view them all on. Overall I think us older players will find the graphics serviceable, but the younger audience might feel they got ripped off since the game does not show as much bling as so many other games do. That Aside the graphics are clean and I didn't ever have a hard time seeing what I had on the map!

All in all, a much better game experience then I expected.
smile.gif

O.

noodle976

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which game is better? Civilization Revolution or Advance Wars Dual Strike/Days of Ruin? Do they play the same at all or is it more like Fire Emblem/Final Fantasy Tactics?

NatsuMatto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noodle976 said:
Which game is better? Civilization Revolution or Advance Wars Dual Strike/Days of Ruin? Do they play the same at all or is it more like Fire Emblem/Final Fantasy Tactics?

It's not like any of those games really.

Probably the closest would be AGE OF EMPIRES, I'd guess...

moo422

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Orillian said:
Well I've played through 3 games since downloading it and it plays well! The overall game has been drastically simplified compared to the core Civ Titles. It's like Civ lite in many ways. If you play Civ games for the LONG strategy/tactics game and want that for the DS, then forget Revolution. The game is so simplified I can finish a domination game in less then an hour. My UN Victory game took a little longer.

So far I'm enjoying the game. But I would be hard pressed to group it with the rest of the Civ games out there!

Overall I think us older players will find the graphics serviceable, but the younger audience might feel they got ripped off since the game does not show as much bling as so many other games do. That Aside the graphics are clean and I didn't ever have a hard time seeing what I had on the map!

All in all, a much better game experience then I expected.
smile.gif

O.

it's definitely an acquired taste, for those of us who grew up with Civ. on my first play-through, so i suspect once i get the tutorial screens out of my face (yes i know it's configurable, but i don't want to miss any DS-specific controls/quirks) the game will speed up plenty.

it's kiiiinda what i expected, given the buzz on the street. the adjustment from full blown Civ to CivRev takes some time.

Try2bcool

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NatsuMatto said:
noodle976 said:

It's not like any of those games really.

Probably the closest would be AGE OF EMPIRES, I'd guess...

It's like CIVILIZATION, the king of all turn-based strategy games. *sigh* (kids these days)

Sid Meier rulez!

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Civilization is a terrible game. It took me as long as the first time some archers got into a skirmish with a tank...and the archers _won_ (bonuses for fortifying in a city, and the fact that the game doesn't even care what arrows do vs solid steel, it just looks at stats like any dumb+generic video game of yesteryear) to quit and never look back.

Wake me if they ever make a C&C, Rise of.., or some other game series worth playing.

Mieki

Trophies
XP
Country
dib said:
Civilization is a terrible game. It took me as long as the first time some archers got into a skirmish with a tank...and the archers _won_ (bonuses for fortifying in a city, and the fact that the game doesn't even care what arrows do vs solid steel, it just looks at stats like any dumb+generic video game of yesteryear) to quit and never look back.

Wake me if they ever make a C&C, Rise of.., or some other game series worth playing.

I know this doesnt happen in Civ4...well, not to me at least. I do get beaten by units around half an age lower than mine.

On Topic. does this have campaign? Wifi?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!