DS #2364: Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard (USA)

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't say much when you only need to sucker enough people into buying a copy to recoup the ENORMOUS expenses it must have required to produce some anime portraits and a soundtrack, same as any other japanese game.

The justification for making a sequel is because these people are _convinced_ that this game somehow appeals on a basis of nostalgia. I've played all those older games, I grew up playing the early games since the 2600, C64, you name it. And yet EO doesn't appeal to me in the slightest because it doesn't recapture those fond memories, it just insults them with a pointless game thrown together and excused as "its not crap, its just classic!"

I submit the real purpose for this game's existence, and the _only_ reason that anybody plays it, is fodder to go posting on Gamefaqs about the top ten reasons why the warrior class is better than the ranger class and everybody else is a moron. Because those seem to be the only types actually enjoying this tripe.

Oh yeah--forgot to add--I think I'll go play Soul Bubbles.

Goloki

Proud TX Suporter... LOL!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda enjoy it, taking it little by little, when I'm free and don't have anything else to do, even though dib and ferrariman claim I'm a GameFAQs pest.

Seriously, I thought GBATemp was more friendly than this... All I've been seeing is flaming because you like or dislike a game.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dib said:
That doesn't say much when you only need to sucker enough people into buying a copy to recoup the ENORMOUS expenses it must have required to produce some anime portraits and a soundtrack, same as any other japanese game.

The justification for making a sequel is because these people are _convinced_ that this game somehow appeals on a basis of nostalgia. I've played all those older games, I grew up playing the early games since the 2600, C64, you name it. And yet EO doesn't appeal to me in the slightest because it doesn't recapture those fond memories, it just insults them with a pointless game thrown together and excused as "its not crap, its just classic!"

I submit the real purpose for this game's existence, and the _only_ reason that anybody plays it, is fodder to go posting on Gamefaqs about the top ten reasons why the warrior class is better than the ranger class and everybody else is a moron. Because those seem to be the only types actually enjoying this tripe.

Oh yeah--forgot to add--I think I'll go play Soul Bubbles.
The game is sponsored by gamefaqs, remember? /sarcarm

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Seriously, I thought GBATemp was more friendly than this... All I've been seeing is flaming because you like or dislike a game.
Egads you're right! This place isn't one big hippie love fest at all! I've been tricked! We don't all parrot each others sentiments about every single thing in the perpetuity of the universe! Promises were made! What will become now of gbatemp? It's complete pandemonium! Anarchy is running rampant through its virtual streets! If only there were mods to censor the seething hate of contrarian arguments from my dainty eyes! People not sharing the same views and publicly expressing the fact totally fits the description of flaming! Where did I leave my Xanax?

Delfin

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
delfin.zapto.org
XP
Country
Why the bashing of the game?
Like any other game, if you don't like it, don't play it. How hard can that be?

I find it entertaining to some extent, and so does others, it's like that for pretty much any game.
Now for me, I'll be busy making maps, sniffing the wrong flowers and get beat up by big worms popping out of nowhere.

RedIce

Trophies
Website
zer0z.deviantart.com
XP
Country
dib said:
Except that many of us had it yesterday, I played it for a few minutes yesterday before realizing that its the same exact crap as the first one that I didn't enjoy back then either.

Let's get one thing straight, this game is not fun in any capacity, whatsoever. It's intentionally designed for a minority of gamers that didn't want fun getting in the way of 100% grinding and collectionism. You will love this game if you are the type that thinks it worthwhile to spend twenty hours of your life fighting the same three sprites until you get a sword thats marginally stronger than the sword you already own, which you will now use to battle those same three sprites for another twenty hours until you level up enough to progress. And if you really hate any kind of entertainment getting infringing upon these activities, say like puzzles or a fun battle system or goals and meaningful rewards or any of the other bells and whistles those damn kids enjoy today in their fancy schmancy video games.

For everybody else, you seriously need not even bother with this. Even considering there is nothing else to play, its just not worth punishing yourself. Go play Super Mario World for the umpteenth time and you'll have more fun. Play with a stick and a ball tied to a cup. Push a hoop down a dirt road. I _promise_ that you will not be missing a thing no matter what the fanboys claim.

Well if you didn't even play it for more than a few minutes, what makes you think you know the game and what makes people like it?
I play it because I like exploring a dungeon, character personalization, and just playing a game that does that fucking well.
And you know what? It's the best entertainment I've had on the DS in quite a while!
Playing this reminds me of some weeks ago trying on the WotLK alpha on a private server: I climbed a mountain there, gazed at the scenery, and I thought to myself 'Holy shit this was fucking amazing! This game rocks!!!!' and that was, hands down, the MOST FUN I've had in WoW since 2 months after it was released, and there were plenty of puzzles, fun battle systems, goals and meaningful rewards in these past years playing wow, but few even came close to the sheer amazement I got by exploring a beautifully designed landscape in a crappy private server.

If you cannot understand why someone likes it, please be educated and do not bash it. I'm sure you have better things to do than write about a game you didn't even play it for more than a few minutes. However well presented your post may be, it was still bashing.

anime_junkie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The thing I loved about the first one was the exploration. Going in to a new stratum, unsure of what lurks in the depths of this new place, and setting forth with your team to delve deeper into the mysteries of the labyrinth.

But hey, whatever, people like different games. I understand. That's okay. What's NOT okay is coming in here and telling us that this game CAN'T be fun. Like someone said, go play some different game (Soul Bubbles, lol), don't come in here and bitch about how this game isn't in a style you like. There's a lot of people who like these games, you don't have to come in here and troll about how it's too grindy and not fun. Go play a different game then, christ. You don't need to whine about it in a thread for the game, where fans of the game will most likely be talking about it. Say what you will, but that's just straight up trolling.

Anyways, this looks great. I love the new classes, and the expanded map. Well, most of the new classes. Pet look kind of dumb.... Gunner makes up for it though. Gunner is freakin' awesome. I hear they did things differently with FOEs this time, too? Like, invisible FOEs or something? Jesus. That's crazy. Here's hoping it will be as hard as the first. Also, I'm hoping for the music to be as top notch as the first one. I absolutely love the first game's music.

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
You have to remember, most of the angry trolls are of the they-should-only-ever-make-games-that-I-like-and-nothing-else school of thought.

Face it, Barbie (or whatever subject) games might not be for you, but somebody out there will buy it.

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, I was trying this out, and I got to the first mission where you have to do a map of the first floor, in order to become citizens? Well, I dont get it. I dont know where to go, or what to draw on the map, when to draw the map, etc. I just walked around a little bit and ran into some worms and did some turn based battling (I think that's what it's called, I dont play these dungeon crawlers really). Anyway, can someone give me a summary of what to do? This looks like something I would like if I understood it

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
solange82200 said:
Guys, I was trying this out, and I got to the first mission where you have to do a map of the first floor, in order to become citizens? Well, I dont get it. I dont know where to go, or what to draw on the map, when to draw the map, etc. I just walked around a little bit and ran into some worms and did some turn based battling (I think that's what it's called, I dont play these dungeon crawlers really). Anyway, can someone give me a summary of what to do? This looks like something I would like if I understood it
all you do is draw out what you see
and find your way back to the beginning where you met the guard
the pencil for drawing walls and you automatically "paint" the ground (on the map)
when you walk

Harpuia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone summarize in a few sentences why the score is so fucking low?
blink.gif

I don't want to read all those pages.

Is this very similar to the first game or am I missing something here?

sfunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Harpuia said:
blink.gif

It is very similar to the first game. Skills have been added/tweaked/revamped. New classes have been added. Obviously a new dungeon is there for you to explore. Various other things have been changed but this is more or less the same game as the first with some new things thrown in. The score is probably low due to people just not liking the style of the game (a similar complaint carried over from the first game). I will admit that this game is not for everyone but I seem to enjoy it and I'm not exactly one of those perfectionist gamers that likes to collect every rare item/pokemon/whatever.

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Tinymonkey, so I just keep exploring till I get back to the entrance, and then outline all the blocks that lit up ( the ones I walked on)?

Nookadum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, considering that I'm one of those old fogies that are into classic RPGs and dungeon crawlers, and since I'm a fan of the first EO, this is a vast improvement.
smile.gif

Again, this game is not aimed at everyone (although the content warning is). If you don't like it, again, nobody gives a shit. Same thing goes with people who do like it.

Harpuia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sfunk said:
Harpuia said:
blink.gif

It is very similar to the first game. Skills have been added/tweaked/revamped. New classes have been added. Obviously a new dungeon is there for you to explore. Various other things have been changed but this is more or less the same game as the first with some new things thrown in. The score is probably low due to people just not liking the style of the game (a similar complaint carried over from the first game). I will admit that this game is not for everyone but I seem to enjoy it and I'm not exactly one of those perfectionist gamers that likes to collect every rare item/pokemon/whatever.

Thank you; I guess I'll be picking up my DS again just for this game. I enjoyed but never finished the first for some reason.

Kaos

Good show!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
solange82200 said:
Thanks Tinymonkey, so I just keep exploring till I get back to the entrance, and then outline all the blocks that lit up ( the ones I walked on)?
Pretty much. Make sure you turn and look at all the walls, sometimes secret passages are hidden in them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0