DS #2353: Looney Tunes: Cartoon Conductor (USA)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fount the game to be ok, too repetitive though, no variety. Timing felt a little off on some of the tuness. Also I wasn't too fond of the animations, I'd really prefer it if they hand hand drawn animations, these characters in 3D just don't look right.

Not something you'd buy or even keep on your card but worth giving it a play.

D

Deleted User

QUOTE said:
generic dev 1> we've got to find an idea for this looney tunes game..
generic dev 2> let's clone a game! I like ouendan!
generic dev 1> ah yes, but we should not make a direct clone, it will appear as a good licence based game... The universe equilibrium will be broken!
generic dev 2> I got it! Let's break the gameplay! We will force to connect the dot in order to for the game to feel unresponsive and to make it almost impossible to follow some rhythm.
generic dev 1> It's bad but not enough. We've got to add some other shitty gameplay. I like guitar hero, we can do the same thing but force player to touch the note.
generic dev 2> Yeah! and if we combine this with some fast arpeggio, we'll get something impossible to play!
generic dev 1> It's a win-win!
generic dev 2> let's play some real game now...

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Trophies
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
Country
xtreme_power said:
Oh you guys act like Mel Blanc just died
He did die, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Blanc but it is never to late to mourn a great man..
cry.gif

Miroku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they need to release a new tiny toon adventures like the one they had for genesis. it was so awesome. 2d foreverrrr

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I kinda like it. The MIDI reproductions of the classical pieces do leave a bit to be desired, but the game itself is better than I thought it would be. It is an Ouendan clone, but instead of tapping each circle you have to drag along a dotted line to connect them without lifting the stylus. That may sound like a small difference but it's not. And it looks like it's not all that easy either.

True that if you don't like Ouendan or don't like Looney Tunes this game has nothing for you, but then what were you expecting...?

NYCvinster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While playing this, don't forget to close and open your DS so that you can hear various Looney Tunes characters saying "See ya!" and "Buh Bye" and "welcome back doc!".

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They're not MIDI reproductions, if that were the case the game would be somewhere around 16MB in size (just like Band Brothers).

Anyway, it's a nice EBA clone but their own premise defeats the mode they selected. This is a _rhythm_ game, and classical music is not known for rhythm. There are no hooks in the compositions upon which to base a fluid beat. You can notice this in the fact that there are no real transitions between segments, the song just runs through. It makes you appreciate the kind of effort Inis puts into their EBA games in re-recording the material.

And the way they chose to deviate by pretty much removing static beat tapping and compose the entire game out of EBA's phrase markers makes it feel a bit dumbed down. The organization of beats aren't nearly as expressive as a result.

It's a shame that these things don't work, because everything else is charming. You get a mini cartoon, and the sound effects using character voices are well done and are numerous. It doesn't quite produce the kind of style that EBA did, but it compliments the tunes we all would recognize from the corresponding cartoons.

Fact is, they made this game _as good as they could have_, so at least you don't feel cheated by another licensing deal producing another terrible video game. Classical music just doesn't lend itself to rhythm games, yet juxtaposing Looney Tunes with pop music songs would have been mismatched. End of story.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: That's even worse :angry:😡 :sad::cry::cry::cry: