DS #2107: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings Of Fate (USA)

chortya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hm, the rom doesn't even start on DSTT. Both with and without DMA modes checked. I'm just getting "disk errcode=some numbers". Anyone else having such problems?

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Zaraf said:
It's already been determined that this was not an anti-piracy tactic, but rather, a bug in the R4/M3 Simply firmware. Get over it already.

Determined by who? You and other mongoloids who have no clue or understanding of whats going on?

go back and read the earlier parts of the topic to see whats actually wrong

edit: also the crc thing a few pages back, it wouldnt be checking the whole game so trimming would not effect. just some area of the executable most likely, i dont know much about NDS stuff but i assume these patching cards have some common area they all patch so it does a crc of just there.

ishin

Sarig
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well guys, the message even appears on a supercard Ds one with patching turned off
biggrin.gif
Was about 40minutes in the game, ( of which 20minutes not playing ) and then suddenly bam, thank you for playing.

luckily I saved before going away 20mins..
smile.gif

^^.

sillypatterson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowStitch said:
Heh. I don't even really wanna play the game at all, but this antipiracy trick is pretty clever. ...For as much as "Wasting development time and money to temporarily hinder pirates from playing a rom of a game they never intended to buy in the first place." can be considered clever. People who have the knowhow to download roms and utilize a flashcart are certainly going to be intelligent enough to (At the very least) troll the emu forums until they get an answer. Few are the pirates who are so rabid hardcore that they would run out and buy the game rather than play one of the other 2000 roms out there while they wait for a solution to appear.

Anyways, kudos to Squenix for having the balls to set up a flimsy barricade in the way of an charging behemoth, and expecting it to make any difference at all.

For more entertaining dirty antipiracy tricks, this is a cool little read: Earthbound Antipiracy measures @ Starmen.net

I downloaded the game night before last when it was first dumped, and was having a blast when I got the Moogle screen. I actually spent a while playing around with it on my own before even checking the 'net to see what the problem was, such was my enjoyment of the game. At work yesterday, I was hoping that when I got off, there'd be a solution, but there wasn't, and there's not so far. Even though it's only been, what, 36 hours? I'm giving in. I liked what I demoed too much, and I'm running down to Best Buy and hopefully they've got them in stock. Yeah, it's $40, and yeah, it's supposed to be short... but hell, Portal's -really- short and it's awesome too.
grog.gif

I'm not a pirate because I want to rip off my favorite gaming companies. I'm a pirate because I'm poor. My boyfriend and I work our asses off (48+ hours/week each) to make rent/bills, and the R4 is our respite. Square-Enix have come up with a rather intruiguing copy-protection method. While not knowing the inner details of it, I've got a vague idea of how incredibly difficult it's going to be to crack. However, it will be cracked. It'll be something new for the DS scene, but it's not insurmountable. So S-E are getting my money, because they made a really fun game, and had the balls to put some copy protection on it that wasn't cracked within 24 hours.

lazyfool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive read on a few diffrent pages that people are having trouble w/ the m3 real, and i have to say, I've been playing flawlessly since i downloaded it, not a single problem.

_Oz_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
lazyfool said:
Ive read on a few diffrent pages that people are having trouble w/ the m3 real, and i have to say, I've been playing flawlessly since i downloaded it, not a single problem.

Nope, not M3 Real. M3 Real is the only M3 that's fine
smile.gif
Actually, I'm considering it as a most sensible upgrade from my M3 Perfect (Slot-2) miniSD right now.

Deleted member 110780

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iNFiNiTY said:
Zaraf said:
It's already been determined that this was not an anti-piracy tactic, but rather, a bug in the R4/M3 Simply firmware. Get over it already.

Determined by who? You and other mongoloids who have no clue or understanding of whats going on?

go back and read the earlier parts of the topic to see whats actually wrong

edit: also the crc thing a few pages back, it wouldnt be checking the whole game so trimming would not effect. just some area of the executable most likely, i dont know much about NDS stuff but i assume these patching cards have some common area they all patch so it does a crc of just there.
Don't make fun of my ancestors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid

Migs

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Made some tests with my own DSTT and still get the Moogle Screen.

Tested with V1.08 from DSTT - V1.08 from NeoFlash - V1.07 - V1.06 and V1.0C.

The Moogle Screen happens when you are past the 20 minute period, but only triggers when you enter a new area in the dungeon or when you die.

Nehle

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zaraf said:
No it hasn't, if anything, it's determined that it IS an anti-piracy tactic.

Here's how we know why:

(a) All cards (not just R4/M3) that patches or require patching of the ROM get the message
(b) All cards and emulators running the clean rom don't get the screen

Now, if only (a) and (b) were true, then yes, it could be a bug in the patching process. However, there is the matter of © - the smoking gun

© All cards that don't get the screen when running a clean rom get the screen if the rom is modified in any way (like, switching the audio). In fact, no matter what file you edit, you get the screen if the rom isn't clean.

(a) + (b) + © = Game checks itself and produces screen if it isn't clean = anti-piracy

QED

Edit: Stupid copyright sign D:

squeakypants

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, does that mean we'll need someone to change the CRC that it's checking against (as I've heard that's what it does), or could we have the card's firmware tell it something else? Or is there a way to run the game without the card (in my case, the R4) patching it?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
We need a rom patch that:

a) changes the CRC of the game in a way that after being patched the CRC of the ROM stays the same;

or

b) changes the code of the game so that the CRC verification is never done, or always return true

I think (b) is a little easier..
tongue.gif

Migs

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A friend of mine is using the G6 Real using firmware V2.8. It worked from the Start, already clocked in an hour of gameplay with no problems.

When he used Firmware V3.1, it corrupted the contents of his card and took a while to recover his lost data, which he got all back.

Category

Trainee Romhacker
Trophies
Website
masseffectzero.blogspot.co.uk
XP
Country
CockroachMan said:
We need a rom patch that:

a) changes the CRC of the game in a way that after being patched the CRC of the ROM stays the same;

or

b) changes the code of the game so that the CRC verification is never done, or always return true

I think (b) is a little easier..
tongue.gif

Well, to be honest, I think a version of (a) would probably be easier. If the R4, M3, etc... teams made a firmware update that circumvented their own ROM patching, then it would behave like it does on TRUE clean rom cards - that is, if these cards can truly do clean rom.

Just like these cards needed a firmware update to play Worms properly, the same will happen with this game.

If only it happened quicker!

A patch to remove the CRC checks would be a horrific little bit of reverse engineering, but it is possible. Time to see which is completed first?

Also, does anybody know if there is an English translation of the protection-free jap rom anywhere? PM me if you know of one!

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a hack of MegaMan ZXAdvent that uses the Japanese ROM but replaces the text with the English files. (Or it's vice-versa). If it becomes impossible to bypass this annoyance, then that seems to be the next suitable solution. Taking the Japanese rom and replacing the text with the NSTC files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo