DS #1695: Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (USA)

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is everyone saying this is RTS?
Well its not.

Okay...
rolleyes.gif

What would you call it then?

Personally, I consider it a hybrid RTS / RPG, but the battle system is RTS all the way.

In any case, I am enjoying this game so much more than I had anticipated. I assumed it was gonna be Heroes of Mana in Final Fantasy garb, but it's not. I think Squeenix finally got the interface as close to right on the DS as they could. HoM wasn't bad, but it was still not quite there. This game though hits closer to the mark, in my opinion. They accepted the DS' limitations this time around, and streamlined everything to work a lot better. I'm only a couple hours in, but it's a keeper for sure.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are far too many of them on the DS as it is.
uhh, yea, there is only 2 so far. I would love more rts on the ds. StarCraft is one of my all-time favorite games.(my avatar
grog.gif
) This game has a weird rts stystem though, how come after i give an order the selection is gone??? I don't want that. The walking speed is also like... ages long. At least in heroes of mana, you could speed it up with the B button. There is also no skill in this game. You can't micro or anything, and building units are far too fast. The AI is better than heroes of mana, but they are still idiots. Gambits are stupid, like filo's sonic wave. She uses it even when there is only 1 enemy is next to her, and others are not far off. This game is still ok, except for those horrible times when the camera zooms in on the sprites. I would prefer more detail on my units, not the 3d background. If the units had better resolution, this game would be 50% better. Better walking system than heros of mana, bad selection system, and slow. I would recommend this game if you are really into ff, or just want a small game with ok graphics and a hybrid genre. This game is ok. Runs perfectly on my r4/m3dss.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...You can't micro or anything, and building units are far too fast. The AI is better than heroes of mana, but they are still idiots. Gambits are stupid, like filo's sonic wave. She uses it even when there is only 1 enemy is next to her, and others are not far off....

There's definitely some microing, but yeah, it's kept fairly simple. But to me that's the fix. With HoM and Lostmagic (especially) they reached too far, in my opinion, and in Lostmagic's case, in particular, it was a mess. With RW, you can easily touch a leader tab and have them back out of the frey if they're losing health, or go off to fight an enemy that is weak against their specialty, etc.

Also, the gambits, to me, are a very welcome addition. You can easily turn a spell off, and the character won't cast unless you order it to (yet another micro technique). But it's nice when you don't want to have to command each character, especially for simple healing.

Again though, I think those things just help to streamline the microing process. Reaching beyond that doesn't seem to work on the DS. Now, if we had a mouse and keyboard, that would be a different story.
wink.gif

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now just for a starcraft port.
(Blizzard I know you are listening)
Yea, the tabs are weird I dont like em cause they are not that useful. If we could ASSIGN units to tabs, that would be different. The sytlus is great for rts, but there is no option like in many rts', such as right clicking or something to move. If a button simulated that , like L/R, it would also be easier to select units. And the whole Rock Paper Scissors thing, I dont like it. Its just like... weird, I just make all of my units ranged units, then i attack. I like the idea like you buy more available units though. Just like Starcraft 2 (which im hoping will come out soon) I still think sqeenix could of worked on the depth of this game, not on so many graphics and backgrounds. The story is chessey. "Oh, i wanna be a SKY pirate again!" The delerict looks awesome. Fricken cool.

tanooki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lol no one wants a SC port for ds -.- and if they did it'll be as bad as super mario 64 on ds
Edit: also the ds can't handle a ZERG RUSH ;D

sfunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Awesome game.. played it some with the Jap release and finaly its out with understandable text
biggrin.gif

but, does anyone else have problems with the sound... it is as if they have recorded it on very very low volume and then tried to boost it so there is this "hissing" noise in the background.. i dont have it when i open the menu or in videos, only when i actually move around

I haven't quite noticed a hissing but when I'm on the airship the sound that the ship makes made me think my computer fans were on, which was strange because my computer was off... maybe that's what you're hearing?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...there is no option like in many rts', such as right clicking or something to move. If a button simulated that , like L/R, it would also be easier to select units. And the whole Rock Paper Scissors thing, I dont like it. Its just like... weird, I just make all of my units ranged units, then i attack....

Yeah, that would be a cool idea -- assigning one of the buttons as a sort of right-mouse click and one as a left-mouse click.

But even in Warcraft you have the rock, paper, scissors thing. Stuff like catapults / mortars eat buildings, zerks / gryphs are anti-air, melee eat ranged, etc.

Blu`

Trophies
XP
Country
Geez even a square fanboy like myself can't manage to get through this one, complete trash. You can't even control your characters outside of battle? WTF. Might as well watch a movie.

blahman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Geez even a square fanboy like myself can't manage to get through this one, complete trash. You can't even control your characters outside of battle? WTF. Might as well watch a movie.

hahahaha did you just play the prologue?
after a bit you get to control your characters on the world map and go around do some shopping.

hmm i for one am glad the characters move this slow. just a few hours in i feel that what this game really needs is a command to STOP time so i can organize all the commands.

Blu`

Trophies
XP
Country

hahahaha did you just play the prologue?
after a bit you get to control your characters on the world map and go around do some shopping.

hmm i for one am glad the characters move this slow. just a few hours in i feel that what this game really needs is a command to STOP time so i can organize all the commands.

No i played up to Chapter 1-4. Absolutely terrible. I'll wait for RoF thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one