DS #1400: Jam Sessions (USA)

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so excited to play this game. I hope I can get the little amp for my DS sometime. THAT would be cool.
happy.gif

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having a nifty little time with it.

I have no idea how to play the guitar, so it's neat.

The DS speakers are horrible for this game.
But my cheapy 10 dollar ones do the trick, making it sound nice.

Too bad all the songs don't have demo tracks...
Kinda lazy developers, aren't they?

And alot of the easy songs are pretty much...
"Strum this cord 4 times" "Strum the other cord 4 times" "Strum this other one 4 times"

Boring ]:

But then the hard ones are like "ASDFMAIWFM ASDKF ASDIFJ A()$ETJFA(W"

j5c077

some old guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doesn't this feature a tracklist with neil young and bob dylan?? does the song actually play or is it just the music notes?

no, it doesnt play, and you dont play along with it.... it more or less shows you the chords to play...

unless im missing something

but as far as im concerned this "game" is disappointing
i expected much better

it sucks

bowmessage

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, this is dissapointing. I'm already bored. Give me some more songs, or maybe a story mode / tell me if i got the note right, in the right rythm mode.

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they thought they were above such things as putting a scoring system?

I could say a lot about how I feel about it just after reading y'alls posts, Suffice it to say I don't even think it's worth trying out...not that I'm mad or sad or you guys "ruined it" for me, it just doesn't seem like my kinda thing anymore and to be frank, I kinda don't want to see how much it didn't live up to the hype...eh whatever hopefully you understand.

It just makes you wonder, how could they have created this game, and not once (or maybe they ignored it) during the development cycle did they realize these few things:

1. Rhythm games in the style of tatsujin, ouendan, guitar hero, gitaroo, tengoku, beatmania, ddr, EVEN THE FRICKING BRAIN AGE PIANO are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY FUN!!!

2. Having a scoring system and some version of a performance mode, however primitive, keeps people interested.

3. Jam sessions does not have a scoring system, and as such, will likely exist as not much more than an afterthought, something that had ridiculous potential and a very unique way of interaction.

4. If Jam sessions did have a scoring system, especially if it was intricate and well thought out, it would likely be remembered as one of the best DS games of all time.

I dunno...need I rant longer?

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
!!!!!

To get the extra best Buy exclusive songs you gotta enter this code in free mode:

UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT
rolleyes.gif

Ph1l0z0ph3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Neat!
I heard this comes with a small amplifier.

Theres two versions, one without the amp and one with which is called "Performance Bundle".

Apparently if you buy this from Best Buy you get a code that unlocks 3 extra songs, the code is Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right. You've gotta enter it in Free Mode.

Kinda like the Konami code but minus b, a...not sure if this is true or not.

This code does unlock 3 songs. Does anyone know where i can get the notes for the song the Ubisoft guy made in the trailer

jesus_bon_jovi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What the hell!? i cant believe they removed the 'power chord' feature where it would play the root/bass notes instead of the full chord and give you a half chord (power chord like) sound i thought maybe that would make it sound a little better when the distortion is on since playing a full chord with distortion sounds terrible. It seems they replaced the power chord feature with this 'mute' feature which i guess is supposed to be like palm muting but you can barely hear it! and when you try to ('palm') mute with distortion it still sounds terrible. I cant find an option for power chords at first i though maybe it would be listed under the chord selection pallet as a 5th chord but i don't see it. I really hope the power chord feature is somewhere in there cause if not.. its really a sad loss.

Wow i just noticed they also removed the ear training...

Jam Sessions has a nicer Visual Interface over M-06 (although i liked the arrangement of the options in M-06) but it lost a few features.. though they added those guitar effects. I noticed they also seem to have rerecorded the chords. Most sound better or at least seem to flow a little bit better between down stroke and upstroke although it sucks that they also rerecorded the simple muted strings sound (when no chord is being held down) it was nice in M-06, it sounds very muffled in Jam Sessions. It's unfortunate since i used to use the mute a lot when i couldn't find a smooth transition from one chord to another. But at least i know the songs listed in the Songs play mode.

Torte

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Should I play this, or continue on with Besaid Island - FFXPC version? I think I'll stick to real instruments, for now.

imyourxpan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they thought they were above such things as putting a scoring system?

I could say a lot about how I feel about it just after reading y'alls posts, Suffice it to say I don't even think it's worth trying out...not that I'm mad or sad or you guys "ruined it" for me, it just doesn't seem like my kinda thing anymore and to be frank, I kinda don't want to see how much it didn't live up to the hype...eh whatever hopefully you understand.

It just makes you wonder, how could they have created this game, and not once (or maybe they ignored it) during the development cycle did they realize these few things:

1. Rhythm games in the style of tatsujin, ouendan, guitar hero, gitaroo, tengoku, beatmania, ddr, EVEN THE FRICKING BRAIN AGE PIANO are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY FUN!!!

2. Having a scoring system and some version of a performance mode, however primitive, keeps people interested.

3. Jam sessions does not have a scoring system, and as such, will likely exist as not much more than an afterthought, something that had ridiculous potential and a very unique way of interaction.

4. If Jam sessions did have a scoring system, especially if it was intricate and well thought out, it would likely be remembered as one of the best DS games of all time.

I dunno...need I rant longer?

i totally agree with you. seriously the game seemed like it would be cool, but then i was playing a song, and it was like....oh okay....it would have been really nice if they put the actual song in and you played the guitar or bass like guitar hero. i would only play this if i was like extremely bored, but this would also put me to sleep.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
doesn't this feature a tracklist with neil young and bob dylan?? does the song actually play or is it just the music notes?

no, it doesnt play, and you dont play along with it.... it more or less shows you the chords to play...

unless im missing something

but as far as im concerned this "game" is disappointing
i expected much better

it sucks

Yes the songs DO play. Just hit the music note icon when you've selected your song. It shows you the exact strums and timing you need to do as well as play it for you so you can follow along and practice. Then you can do it yourself and even record your tracks.

Brilliant game so far. Much better than the japanese version (now that I can understand it). All the themes are great.

*EDIT* Wow cool, the game uses the Microphone as well to playback your singing when you play your songs
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: