DS #1363: Summon Night Twin Age: Seireitachi no Kyoumei (Japan)

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
Umm... My first language IS English.
tongue.gif
I just happen to live in Japan, and have lived here a very long time.

And - just had to add - work as a professional translator, translating things *into* Japanese, my second language. That rule only applies if you`re not really fluent.

The translators... always so overconfident.
rolleyes.gif

Not overconfident. Well paid.
I don`t make as much as I do for nothing.
tongue.gif
I`m not some kid who took a year of Japanese in high school and thinks they`re good to go.

You act as if I can`t actually translate. That`s a bit of an unkind assumption, don`t you think?

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i was going to take a 2 year intensive japanese translatiopn course in university. but there was one big problem... my japanese sucked, so i couldnt apply. they only wanted the best japanese students for the job. esp. those that come from other diciplines like business and science etc. so they can translate the lexicon properly.

Gestahl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
And - just had to add - work as a professional translator, translating things *into* Japanese, my second language. That rule only applies if you`re not really fluent.

The translators... always so overconfident.
rolleyes.gif

Not overconfident. Well paid.
I don`t make as much as I do for nothing.
tongue.gif
I`m not some kid who took a year of Japanese in high school and thinks they`re good to go.

Oh come on, now your income defines the quality of your translations?

QUOTE(Tamyu @ Aug 28 2007, 02:27 PM)
You act as if I can`t actually translate. That`s a bit of an unkind assumption, don`t you think?
I never alluded to anything like that, honestly. Of course you can translate. I only disagreed with your assertion that the rule "never translate to your second language" applies only if you're not fluent enough. All translations are evil, but translating into your second language just cannot ever be as good as translating into your native language. Speaking of which, I'd gladly check out your translation of Summon Night.
smile.gif

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
Ahem...

Main menu - Before you start a game. I figure it`s pretty obvious, but anyway:
New Game
Continue
Load
Item Trade
Sound Test

Introduction - The bit with voice. At least for the male character - I assume it`s slightly different for the female:
All of the natural forces in this world are controlled by "Spirits" from beyond.
The wind that sways the trees, the fires that burn the mountains, the rain that falls from the sky, the tiny budding of life in the earth, and the light that shines...
Through the intervention of the "Spirit World", this world comes to be.
In the world, there is a group - the "Kauskuzaf" - which live in harmony with the spirits, and another group - humans - which try to control the Spirits, leaving a history of repeated wars.
Even now, at this very moment, somewhere in the world the two groups are surely fighting each other...

However, in Jazira, where the Kauskuzaf islands are, the winds of war had not yet come.

The Kauskuzafs call this world...
"Kurarudina".

It`s the world in which I live.

Chapter 0:
When the winds change.

(Sorry, don`t have the time to do the text - I`ll skip straight to the main menu.)

Main Menu
From top left;
Status and Equipment : Command Palette : Skill List
Item List : Party Member Behavior Settings : Monster List
Configuration : Midpoint Save and Quit : Leave the Main Menu

I think that the bits inside each menu option are pretty self explanatory, but if anyone needs help let me know...

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
Oh come on, now your income defines the quality of your translations?

Being as I started out at one company, and was scouted by another for more money, then another for even more money...
But that`s not the point. I was just irritated that you acted as if I was lying about being able to translate something.

QUOTE said:
I never alluded to anything like that, honestly. Of course you can translate. I only disagreed with your assertion that the rule "never translate to your second language" applies only if you're not fluent enough. All translations are evil, but translating into your second language just cannot ever be as good as translating into your native language. Speaking of which, I'd gladly check out your translation of Summon Night.
smile.gif

The rule to *never* translate into your second language does indeed only apply if you aren`t fluent enough to do it. I hate translating into Japanese. It`s a pain, and it takes twice as long as going the other way because I am not 100% confident so end up triple or quadruple checking everything just to be sure.
However, that doesn`t mean that it can`t be done. It`s just not preferable. However, if you make enough for the trouble, it can be worth it.

Let me ask you this though - what about a true bilingual? Someone who has lived in a bilingual situation since childhood? (Like me.) Yes, my English is stronger, but that doesn`t mean I don`t speak the "second" language natively.

Gestahl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Let me ask you this though - what about a true bilingual? Someone who has lived in a bilingual situation since childhood? (Like me.) Yes, my English is stronger, but that doesn`t mean I don`t speak the "second" language natively.
I've never met or seen true bilinguals (at least for the cultures and languages as different as English and Japanese for example) but I can accept that they exist. Ok, I admit it - I was obnoxious and irritating, I apologize.
smile.gif

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
I've never met or seen true bilinguals (at least for the cultures and languages as different as English and Japanese for example) but I can accept that they exist.

Actually, the cultures aren`t as foreign as they seem at first glance. Same goals, same desires, just different ways of going about reaching them.
Or maybe it`s just because I`m between them that they seem that way.

QUOTE said:
Ok, I admit it - I was obnoxious and irritating, I apologize.
smile.gif

No problem. Apology accepted in full.
I have a tendency to roll my eyes at a lot (most) of the willing "translators" I spot when it comes to games or anime. No offense meant toward their efforts, but 9 times out of 10, they`re kids who think they understand Japanese from a few classes, self study, and by watching anime *without* the subs sometimes! And even understanding a little bit!
rolleyes.gif

I just did not want to be grouped with them.

sTo0z

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tamyu, you know how good you are or aren't, you don't have anything to prove to that guy.

Btw, thanks for those little translated tidbits, you'd be surprised at how friendlier a game feels when you just know the menus!

RE_horror

Trophies
XP
Country
So people, do anybody here find the compatible savetype for this game ?
Man, this game is so good, but I can't save when I play it in the emu.
cry.gif

2dere

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Wow Tamyu, that was nice, getting a tidbit of the story.
I've been keeping an eye on this game since I started watching a mate play the GBA games. I spent a few.. alright maybe one and a bit hours on their site just killing things and collecting items. I'm one of those would be high school learners. Though I just look at the kana's and say them out loud for kicks. I'd love to get to stage where I can get the jist of a screen of text let alone understand it.
Does anyone actually Translate DS games? General feeling I've picked up is people won't bother on the chance that'll eventually come out in english. Least thats with the popular games (funnily enough the ones the people want translated.) Though in saying that the only translated games I've played/looked into are the old jRPGs on a SNES etc.

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bah, I just finished the first one recently for the GBA, and I love this series, I'm starting the 2nd one up today. And now I find out there was a third one for the GBA that was never released in english! bah..... I heard however for the 3rd one there is a team working on the tranlslation of it. I honestly hope this comes out in english, and if not some team of translators picks up this game *cries in a corner*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree"