Droid X360 (PS Vita knockoff with Android 4.0)

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 16,397
  • Replies 130
  • Likes 1

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
With something like this for actual Android games, a device like this could be pretty cool. Decent form factor, probably easy to root and rid of any preinstalled crap, then you could get a few scripts and tweaks and stuff to make it a bit faster/smoother/better/etc. (there are plenty of scripts and stuff that are universal for all/most devices running Android). If a few knowledgeable individuals get their hands on them, it could even get some custom ROM support, which would greatly improve the life span of the device (i.e. continued support from community after the manufacturers abandon it for their next device). Having said this, I will almost certainly not be getting one. But it is an interesting looking device.

dadi44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely interesting. What's holding me back is the specs. 1.0 gig processor isn't bad, but with only 512 ram it's going to be laggy with ice cream sandwich.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Definitely interesting. What's holding me back is the specs. 1.0 gig processor isn't bad, but with only 512 ram it's going to be laggy with ice cream sandwich.
No it won't. Ice Cream Sandwich was meant to run on any device with at least 256mb of RAM and an ok GPU. This should run ICS just fine. My HTC Evo only has 512MB of RAM and it runs ICS smooth as butter.

dadi44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it won't. Ice Cream Sandwich was meant to run on any device with at least 256mb of RAM and an ok GPU. This should run ICS just fine. My HTC Evo only has 512MB of RAM and it runs ICS smooth as butter.

Is that a stock rom? Most phone manufacturers are passing up the ICS upgrades on phones with 512 or less. But what do the manufacturers know right?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Too bad it only has 512MB of RAM rather than 1GB. If they upped the RAM to 1GB and added Bluetooth support it might be worth it.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Is that a stock rom? Most phone manufacturers are passing up the ICS upgrades on phones with 512 or less. But what do the manufacturers know right?
No, it's not a stock ROM it's a custom ROM. It's not that the manufacturers don't know shit, it's that they'd rather push their newer phones that have stock ICS than upgrade the old ones.

See http://technoplant.blogspot.com/2012/02/minimum-system-requirements-for-ice.html

dadi44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I quite agree on the comment about the manufacturers, but let's face it, all software out there has minimum system requirements along with recommended system requirements. So, to be frank, this device will be laggy until someone creates a custom rom for it. Then, look out.

A snippet from the article you just posted:

[sp]Although these requirements are mandatory they are not just enough if you want ICS to run smoothly and if you want latest ICS updates to fit your device.
According to some experts 1GHz Dual core processors with 512+ Mb RAM are essential. If your phone has less specs than this, dont worry.. You can get custom roms from developers like Cyanogen.[/sp]

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I quite agree on the comment about the manufacturers, but let's face it, all software out there has minimum system requirements along with recommended system requirements. So, to be frank, this device will be laggy until someone creates a custom rom for it. Then, look out.
Did you view the video? Whomever made it goes through the menus and everything in the beginning. Looked to be running pretty smooth.

dadi44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you view the video? Whomever made it goes through the menus and everything in the beginning. Looked to be running pretty smooth.

I'll wait for some reviews.

eastbayarb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if gamekeyboard would work with this for touch screen only android games to utilize this thing's hardware buttons/sticks?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So I can get the awesome form factor of the Vita, as well as it's potential for great emulators, as well as the latest Android version, for only 20% the price, at the expense of not being able to play Vita games? As long as those built-in emulators work well, sign me up!

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can get the awesome form factor of the Vita, as well as it's potential for great emulators, as well as the latest Android version, for only 20% the price, at the expense of not being able to play Vita games? As long as those built-in emulators work well, sign me up!

It isn't running Jelly Bean. Speaking of Jelly Bean, they say android 4.1's code is better processor efficient and uses 10-25% less overall resouces

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have one of these (S7100B is actually pretty much the same). CPU looks to be IS a cheap Boxchip A15 Allwinner A10, which is a Cortex A8. Single-core, 1.5GHz, single-core Mali400.

Shameful PSX emulation (really), really good N64 emulation, and SNES/NES and the likes are all pretty good.

Analogs are "fake" analogs, I'm sure of that. They're just wired to the DPAD and the XYBA buttons, so don't expect mapping the analogs separately.

Overall, give it 4-5 months and you'll start seeing this kind of tablets with cheap Dual-Cores with quad-core Mali GPUs.

BTW, don't expect great quality from those things.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one of these (S7100B is actually pretty much the same). CPU looks to be IS a cheap Boxchip A15 Allwinner A10, which is a Cortex A8. Single-core, 1.5GHz, single-core Mali400.

Shameful PSX emulation (really), really good N64 emulation, and SNES/NES and the likes are all pretty good.

Analogs are "fake" analogs, I'm sure of that. They're just wired to the DPAD and the XYBA buttons, so don't expect mapping the analogs separately.

Overall, give it 4-5 months and you'll start seeing this kind of tablets with cheap Dual-Cores with quad-core Mali GPUs.

Willgoo, Apad and Engadget tore down the newer model JXD devices a short while ago. The s5110, newer releases of s7100b and several others. They each are no longer hard-wired to being the same controls but software coded to being the same. Drivers and firmware updates need to be released so they can be mapped separately.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Willgoo, Apad and Engadget tore down the newer model JXD devices a short while ago. The s5110, newer releases of s7100b and several others. They each are no longer hard-wired to being the same controls but software coded to being the same. Drivers and firmware updates need to be released so they can be mapped separately.
Cool, didn't know about that. I sure hope so that my S7100B has separately wired controls.

Anyway, JXD is a lot better than the company making the Droid X360, so it wouldn't surprise me to still find "fake" analogs on it.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait, is this confirmed? If so, that's a deal-breaker for me. :(

If it's not confirmed, I would like to be hopeful that the right software could fix that... I have the iControlpad for my phone, and most emulators only use the analog pads as "digital" 8-way pads, but certain emulators (such as N64oid) have native ICP support built in, and view the analogs as true 360 degree analog pads. It's even "pressure" sensitive, so you can, for example, differentiate between tiptoeing, walking, and running in Super Mario 64. Hopefully that's the case for the analogs here.

Also, since this is basically a typical Android device with a gamepad built in, I think it stands to reason that the poor emulators are just a result of the emulators used, not the lack of ability of the hardware itself. I recognize the "no face" bug shown in the video during Super Smash Bros. as existing in older versions of N64oid, but they've been completely fixed in newer versions. So assuming you can install your own apps from places besides the Google Play Store, you should be able to put whatever emulators on it that you want (such as the latest version of FPSE for PSX emulation, for example).

Here's my real question, though... how does it stand up to the Open Pandora? If it works anywhere NEAR as well, I think this is quite a steal (remember, Open Pandora is $500 USD).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

As someone else said, the emulators may be an older version. Could you check to see which N64oid version it is? And which PSX emulator does it use? If not FPSE, get the latest FPSE and try it for us? I was thinking of getting one but only for the portable PSX/N64 emulation.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Topically the china android devices come with old and updated versions. I know the JXD s7100b can be rooted and replaced with a custom rom of android. One of these actually removes all the illegal roms and the stolen emulators. But than you can use the google play (formerly the android market) and get apps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: We're figments of your imagination +1