DRM question to ponder

Ledbylight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came up with and interesting thought about "ripped" dvds. It's not legal cause it circumvents the DRM right? Well, what if you record your screen while the dvd is playing? No DRM broken right? Also, I was thinking the same thing for Amazon and iTunes digital copies. What's your guy's take on this? Legal? Let me know!

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came up with and interesting thought about "ripped" dvds. It's not legal cause it circumvents the DRM right? Well, what if you record your screen while the dvd is playing? No DRM broken right? Also, I was thinking the same thing for Amazon and iTunes digital copies. What's your guy's take on this? Legal? Let me know!

that is basically the same as filming the movie in the movie theater

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's probably more of a grey area. Circumventing DRM to back up something you own shouldn't be illegal in the first place IMO. Yeah, it leads to piracy but if the person backing up the media isn't distributing it then it shouldn't really matter.
that is basically the same as filming the movie in the movie theater
Not really because the theatre is the one with the license to show/use the movie. By filming the movie you're creating a copy of the media to use without a license or permission. Once you buy the movie you have a license to use it (generally only for personal/non-commercial use).

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Technically there is also DRM going on between the DVD and your screen. DVD called it macrovision, VHS also had macrovision, blu ray will probably have it fall under HDCP, many streaming services also favour HDCP.

Reactions: Ledbylight

Ledbylight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm thanks guys. Yeah I don't plan on sharing any of these as I just want "copies" of my dvds for plex. And @FAST6191 I am using DVDs and talking about digital content on amazon and iTunes that I legally purchased either in store or online.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So my question is: Am I clearly breaking a law doing this? Should I do it?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
HDCP is a joke. It makes sense, but clearly it's not working.
And it just broke compatibility with older TVs which don't comply with it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You're not going to jail dude, just do it.
As long as you don't go to a PD and scream "I PIRATE MOVIES" you're gonna be fine.
Here, I'm certain that, if I went to the police and screamed that, they'd either laugh and tell me they do too, or tell me to shut up and gtfo.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ripping DVDs/Blu-rays etc for personal use is legal, as long as you keep the original copy.
If the original gets destroyed, you have to get rid off the backup as well.
Under no circumstance should you give away those copies to people.

That's is basically it if you want to backup your things and be legal about it.

Ledbylight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you @DinohScene , but ripping the dvds/blu-rays after decrypting is illegal. Reason being is it circumvents DRM and breaks DMCA afaik. So I'm trying to do it legally by recording my screen...

Ledbylight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hm this thread is #trending 17 ppl viewing haha. And doesn't iso copy not work cause it cant decrypt?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ripping DVDs/Blu-rays etc for personal use is legal, as long as you keep the original copy.
If the original gets destroyed, you have to get rid off the backup as well.
Under no circumstance should you give away those copies to people.

That's is basically it if you want to backup your things and be legal about it.

I have never seen that debated properly in court or any regs that matter. The closest I can get to is with some business type software where proof of purchase counts for a lot, though some companies tie it to bits of paper and other odd things (I vaguely recall reading about one tying it to dongles).

Equally the RIAA see me sticking my copied Pat Boone CD into my car CD player and drag me before the beak, I show them my pac man shaped original, and maybe an amazon order, and proving loss becomes very hard for them. No doubt it would be far easier to have a shiny unblemished original in such a scenario but I would not be too worried.

Going further the personal thing has a few question marks https://w2.eff.org/IP/eff_fair_use_faq.php , and if the EFF are a tiny bit hesitant then yeah.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE