Hardware Dreaded GPU "dots", wiikey and Nintendo repair

Smidget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You wouldn't even have to uninstall the Wiikey if you switch out DVD-ROMs since it'll be already soldered!

isn't the wiikey soldered onto the motherboard though? the one with the now messed up GPU chip?

or does the modchip get soldered onto the DVD drive?

Nope only soldered to the DVD-ROM drive. By the way, worked perfect last night, have to go to work but got some Super Mario Galaxy in this morning
smile.gif

Smidget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I plan to open up both machines, switch out the DVD-ROM drives (since the new one is bound to be the D2C and since all the soldering is done on the DVD-ROM drive anyways. I've read previous posts of people doing this without any problem (there's no special key like a 360 or anything). Then I'll close 'em both back up and send to Nintendo my broken one with the D2C drive, and hope for the best.....

Wow. You horrible, horrible person. I feel bad for the one who gets that Wii refurbished, looks up the serial number and sees that it's a D2B drive, happily buys a Wiikey and opens it to discover that it is in fact a D2C drive.
dry.gif

Come on, a horrible, horrible person for not allowing another pirater to pirate?
smile.gif
And by the way, my new Wii was also a D2B but it was just much easier to switch out DVD-ROMs.... so there!

MrKuenning

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you send in for repairs, do they give you a new GPU? or do they give you a new Wii? ie. a wii with cut pins...

EDIT: Wow, didnt know that when you turn off WC24, it doesnt go into standby anymore..

Smidget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you send in for repairs, do they give you a new GPU? or do they give you a new Wii?  ie. a wii with cut pins...

Not sure, I just did the advanced replacement like I said, so if you wanted you could open it up and see what's inside, if it's not to your liking, open up your Wii and switch DVD-ROMs, works perfect.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
f*** I just realized I let my wii being on over the night. oh and the wiikey is the fault of everything. before wiikey, my original gamecube games worked fine. now they've started to randomly get errors. ("restart gamecube"-something) my wii is hotter than usual. discs coming out of the wii drive smell burned (only the homemade discs tho).

webjedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I've just been lucky... but I sometimes I've left the Wii on for days - easiest way to pause a game. Super Mario Galaxy has been left on since Saturday.
biggrin.gif

I also have WiiConnect 24 on since I got it 11+ months ago.

Just wanted to add that to the discussion as some seem set that WiiConnect and leaving on is the kiss of death... but like I said - maybe just been lucky.

winterMOO

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so since yesterday i had only a few of the GPU dots in the corner of my screen. I've left it off (red light) since and i threw in SMG and I noticed dots now in the middle and the top while playing only 30 minutes...

seems like they only get exponentially worse and worse.

Not sure, I just did the advanced replacement like I said, so if you wanted you could open it up and see what's inside, if it's not to your liking, open up your Wii and switch DVD-ROMs, works perfect.

i'm going to call nintendo today then.. how can you tell the drive model of the replacement? serial number? and your drive swap idea seems to be working ok?

Smidget

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
i'm going to call nintendo today then.. how can you tell the drive model of the replacement? serial number? and your drive swap idea seems to be working ok?

Doesn't matter what the drive model of the replacement is, and you just look on the drive itself, they'll be a chipset. And yep working fine, doesn't have any special keys like the 360 or anything. Much easier to just change drives then worry about what drive you're getting.

andreq

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
maybe its just luck ... but since I bought my Wii in Feb 2007... Ive always got it in stanby mode... and I'm rarely playing games (1 time a week or less).

And everything is fine... maybe the solution is to NOT sandwish the Wii between 2 Xbox 360...

webjedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe its just luck ... but since I bought my Wii in Feb 2007... Ive always got it in stanby mode... and I'm rarely playing games (1 time a week or less).

And everything is fine... maybe the solution is to NOT sandwish the Wii between 2 Xbox 360...

Yeah, I wondering if it's something else and neither WiiConnect 24 nor Standby are the issue. Maybe some Wii's have broken fans? Or the DVD running non-stop?

After reading this a few days ago I continued to leave my Wii on with Super Mario Galaxy paused on the screen. And with Wii Connect 24 on as always.

So now the unit has been on for almost a week and I figure this thing will be burning hot... nothing. I felt every piece of the Wii and it wasn't even warm. Maybe slightly above room temp but that's it.

My Wii is sitting on the floor with nothing around it - is the same true for the hot Wii users? Can you tell if the fan is working - you feel it pushing air?

No idea but something seems odd when some of us do all the things that suppose to make the Wii burning hot and we get nothing.

I got my Wii 2 days after xmas so probably first gen box - maybe this can be narrowed down to a specific chipset?

Jademalo

Trophies
XP
Country
the wii doesnt get hot when its doing something, because the fan is on. in standby with WC24, thats whn it gets hot.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
hehe it's not warm on the inside of the case...you're really just asking for it..
tongue.gif
I would check out the fan mod or just switch off wc24

Ever heard of a heatsink? Ever opened your Wii? The Wii has a massive heatsink that spreads the heat to just under the case all over the console. The temperature you feel on the outside is very similar to the temperature inside during standby mode.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hehe it's not warm on the inside of the case...you're really just asking for it..
tongue.gif
I would check out the fan mod or just switch off wc24

Ever heard of a heatsink? Ever opened your Wii? The Wii has a massive heatsink that spreads the heat to just under the case all over the console. The temperature you feel on the outside is very similar to the temperature inside during standby mode.
He's trying to help. Air has to be moved across a heatsink for it to cool effectively. This problem has been well documented with the Wifi cooking systems when left in standby mode. Maybe your machine is in a nice well ventilated area and you will never have this problem. Mine is too, but the difference in case temperature is vastly different when the fan is running and when it's not. I'll err on the side of caution - especially when it has to do with heat and electronics.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
haha yeah like lazycus said you need the fan going to pull the air out from the heatsink...which won't happen in standby mode..it will just sit in your heatsink baking your console. i know all about it i'm a 360 owner
tongue.gif

reecarno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have two wii’s one with a wiid chip and the other with a wiikey, the wiikey one is pretty recent mod; since Mario galaxy in fact, and that has just started to do it. It’s a launch day machine; no cut legs, but its only doing it near the bottom right corner. It disappears if I go onto the mii or other channels. The wii itself has never really been use I bought it for the Kids bedroom (that I still haven’t finished yet) so it’s not been in use until recently. Connect 24 is off and it sits in a cold/cool area. The wiid chipped wii has seen all sorts of action and has been running connect 24 since purchase, but has been relegated to the side since galaxy came out. That machine doesn’t have any dots at all so I don’t know what might be causing it. The only things different is 1) dup channels (from galaxy update) 2) wii sits flat. 3) Wiikey with 1.9g firmware.

falco123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You think it may have something to do with installation of Wiikey? The day after I got mine back from installing it, the dots started showing up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It was white when you bought it