ROM Hack Dragon Quest VIII - color restoration possible?

Krustentier7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm a little displeased with how oversaturated the colors are in the 3DS version of DQ8 compared to the much brighter and softer PS2 original - seeing how this game has received a lot of attention by the modding community, I was wondering if it were possible to restore its original aesthetic. I don't know how one would go about this, nor am I certain how complicated such a procedure might be; is it as simple as tweaking some numeric values or would you have to go pretty in-depth?

Either way, I felt like this was an idea worth proposing, and I would definitely help in any way I can if anyone is interested in pursuing this project.

Krustentier7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Considering that you can reduce blue light with NTR, you might be able to change the colour saturation with nothing more than a small NTR overlay plugin.

That's a great idea! I'm not very familiar with NTR myself though, no idea how one would go about writing a plugin like that.

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
You would have to go through and replace all the textures, I don't believe there is some simple value you could change some where since if there was I doubt they would have done the edit on a texture level.

It would be possible, don't know if its worth putting the time into though since it would be a long tedious process and texture quality would be reduced since the current tools for re-importing won't come out as good as the source textures, may or may not be super noticeable on the 3DS screen itself though.

RikuKawai

Femboy Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
thisis.moe
XP
Country
Canada
You would have to go through and replace all the textures, I don't believe there is some simple value you could change some where since if there was I doubt they would have done the edit on a texture level.

It would be possible, don't know if its worth putting the time into though since it would be a long tedious process and texture quality would be reduced since the current tools for re-importing won't come out as good as the source textures, may or may not be super noticeable on the 3DS screen itself though.
Changing colours globally can be done with NTR, as is shown by NTR's blue light reduction feature (similar to f.lux). If NTR can reduce the amount of blue, there's no reason it can't also reduce the saturation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work