Dragon Quest VIII - color restoration possible?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Krustentier7, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Krustentier7
    OP

Krustentier7 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I'm a little displeased with how oversaturated the colors are in the 3DS version of DQ8 compared to the much brighter and softer PS2 original - seeing how this game has received a lot of attention by the modding community, I was wondering if it were possible to restore its original aesthetic. I don't know how one would go about this, nor am I certain how complicated such a procedure might be; is it as simple as tweaking some numeric values or would you have to go pretty in-depth?

Either way, I felt like this was an idea worth proposing, and I would definitely help in any way I can if anyone is interested in pursuing this project.

2. videogame57

videogame57 Sword Princess

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you
    Considering that you can reduce blue light with NTR, you might be able to change the colour saturation with nothing more than a small NTR overlay plugin.

3. Krustentier7
    OP

Krustentier7 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2014
    Gambia, The
    That's a great idea! I'm not very familiar with NTR myself though, no idea how one would go about writing a plugin like that.

4. DarkSynopsis

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    You would have to go through and replace all the textures, I don't believe there is some simple value you could change some where since if there was I doubt they would have done the edit on a texture level.

It would be possible, don't know if its worth putting the time into though since it would be a long tedious process and texture quality would be reduced since the current tools for re-importing won't come out as good as the source textures, may or may not be super noticeable on the 3DS screen itself though.

5. videogame57

videogame57 Sword Princess

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you
    Changing colours globally can be done with NTR, as is shown by NTR's blue light reduction feature (similar to f.lux). If NTR can reduce the amount of blue, there's no reason it can't also reduce the saturation.