Dragon Ball FighterZ Launch Party

Hello, everyone! Are you excited for Dragon Ball FighterZ!? I was sent to attend the
launch party for this game on behalf of GBAtemp, and I'll be documenting the
experiences I had while I was there.

7mGu9ZF.jpg

This was especially exciting, as I've had previous experience with other Arc System Works fighting games, like BlazBlue and Guilty Gear. I think BlazBlue is quite similar to FighterZ and some will compare it as just BlazBlue but with UMVC3's format, just with Dragon Ball characters. They wouldn't be entirely wrong, but FighterZ isn't as frantic as UMVC3.

jhbK9gh.jpg

The game looks amazing in motion--the movement is very fluid and the challenges do a good job at showing beginners the basic combo structure as well as showing off the movesets. There are also tutorials teaching newcomers the basics of how the game controls. I thought that perhaps there would be a dedicated way to launch opponents into the air, but thankfully, that isn't the case, as you can do a simple light chain to launch them instead. These attacks can also be cancelled into supers like the classic
Super Kamehameha to end the combo, or, you could do a downwards heavy attack that throws foes across the screen, letting you use a Super Dash to chase them and chain that to another combo, which is incredibly satisfying to pull off.

DVM3Y3T.jpg

FighterZ plays like a mix of Arc System Works titles like BlazBlue, yet also incorporates the assists from Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3. It makes picking a team feel strategic, as you want to have characters that work together well as assists. Personally, I think that Trunks and Goku Black are a great pair, as you can put some solid ground pressure on your opponent with Goku Black's assist combined with Trunks' attacks.

p1sY8TH.jpg

The venue (Chelsea Football Club) looked amazing. Namco had set up different booths, where you could play older games from the franchise, like Dragon Ball Z Super Butōden, Dragon Ball Final
Bout, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Dragon Ball Burst, and finally, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. It was a vast array of DBZ games spanning multiple console generations, and of varying quality. While there, I was taken aback just a bit when I found out Super Butōden was actually released in PAL regions. There were multiple setups of Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3, which are considered by fans to be the best games in the series.

EPBwsiQ.jpg

The venue was buzzing with people playing the game and having an all around good time. Staff at the venue were giving food to the attendants, stuff like mini burgers, chili cheese dogs and mini fish and chips! The food was pretty nice. There was a tournament at the launch party, too! I did enter it, but sadly I didn't win :( The prize for the winner was a little Kamehameha toy, and a press kit for the game. All in all, this launch party went pretty well! I’d say I had a ton of fun whilst I was there, having a chance to experience a celebration of the Dragon Ball history, and getting to play FighterZ!

8MegvLa.jpg

znuYlQH.jpg zisjvus.jpg y9OMoUp.jpg RmEpTJC.jpg R7R55VK.jpg p50DgVJ.jpg kfzHbPu.jpg hN6eydh.jpg
Gv7vMDa.jpg G0PXldv.jpg FAxJj0K.jpg EXlcJFl.jpg c2xx5D5.jpg 53fPPFs.jpg 22BJmLS.jpg 1k8puY3.jpg

Thanks very much to Bamco for inviting me along!

:arrow:Dragon Ball FighterZ Review

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Gratz on the party, looks like it was fun. This game is fuggin' awesome. I've played a ton of arena matches and won about 50%, but I've only played two ranked matches (against the same person) and won both, so my ranked win rate is 100%. Tempted to retire from ranked now and keep it that way. :lol:

Beerus-Trunks-Yamcha FTW

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I bet everyone was flocking to the Tenkaichi 3 station! Sounds like a super fun time. :D

Gratz on the party, looks like it was fun. This game is fuggin' awesome. I've played a ton of arena matches and won about 50%, but I've only played two ranked matches (against the same person) and won both, so my ranked win rate is 100%. Tempted to retire from ranked now and keep it that way. :lol:

Beerus-Trunks-Yamcha FTW

Nice tastes! Beerus/Trunks/Black Goku is a really solid team for me, though, I tend to play favorites and use Gohan/A!Gohan/Vegeta a lot.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Basically it's still a PAY2WIN game lol: everyone wants to win, then there are so many people purshased those 3rd parties' very expensive fighting stick just to play against dualshock players - _-

Sick.

P.s. Game is awesome, nuffin to say, just ruined by those fighting stick tryhards with rapid fires.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Basically it's still a PAY2WIN game lol: everyone wants to win, then there are so many people purshased those 3rd parties' very expensive fighting stick just to play against dualshock players - _-

Sick.

P.s. Game is awesome, nuffin to say, just ruined by those fighting stick tryhards with rapid fires.
I'm doing pretty well for myself with the 8Bitdo SF30Pro. The D-Pad works fantastically for this game, so it feels a lot like just playing with a SNES controller. With a brand new game that's a great feeling to have again.

Reactions: Scarlet

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm doing pretty well for myself with the 8Bitdo SF30Pro. The D-Pad works fantastically for this game, so it feels a lot like just playing with a SNES controller. With a brand new game that's a great feeling to have again.
If u are on console, try some rank matches AFTER midnight.... If you usually play it around daily time or before 22-23, the people u meet are just casual/ kids.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
on ps4 there are salty kids everywhere, when there are still 3 heroes standing and on other side kids is with his last half health one, guess what do they do?? :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: PRESS EJECT!

guess alt+f4 is a thing on pc??

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is Bamco? Also I like the snes cart. That game was the first ever legitimate import game I ever played. I remember having fun with the game being like street fighter, is always something I remember. I'm glad DBZ games have gotten more fun, and lot better representation of the series, oh and that 2D fighting games are back, though I'm a bit disappointed at the 3DS game they released, felt like arc system works was hiding this potential gem of a game for some reason with that other game. (Least that same SNES game was released along side it making it a bit more welcoming.)

As for my opinion of the game, I think is a great game but I do have some things I can nit pick at but I don't want to sound mean for doing so. The best part is how it looks, bout as close to the anime as possible, anything better would be just making videos specific for this game like they do with Naruto games. Im glad there is some Japanese developers who know how to work that Unreal Engine. I wish they make anime with stuff like this. If the dragonball Creator was smart, he would go to square enix, and demand a remake of Chrono Trigger & A new Dragon quest game (Even if it had to be a fighting game) and tell them to make it look exactly like this game as the only golden rule for the new games.:P

As for the game itself, my impressions. This isn't nit picking, if you was curious about the thoughts behind that, is mostly the little details. I know it has some cool stuff like the clothes getting dirty, the stages blowing off and the transitions, and death easter eggs between cast members. But there was past games that had those cinematic clash power struggles. Throw two fireball beams and have a mash fest to see who comes out on top like in the anime, or those attack clashes when they are punching rapidly and trading blows at high speeds, those don't exist in the game, is very minimal but if older games had it, as it's directly source material related, it would be nice to have it in this game too.

The real deal thing I wanted to point out is how is played. To be honest, it feels like they was nervous about fans who are new to fighting games trying to play this game, they kinda simplified the controls compared to Guilty Gear Xrd. Is not a bad thing, but i suppose is a trade off somehow. In Guilty Gear Xrd, there is a huge difference. The tutorial mode for example is very big and can extent so far is almost cherished how much effort they added to all of amount of learning the player can get, from learning how to play and the general rules, to character specific combos that get very complex, to actual counter pick character strategies, advance system mechanics, and rules. This game kinda removes all of that to keep the game simple for all player.

While the extended tutorial in Guilty Gear Xrd is very large and can be complex for many and even deter people, is actually the most helpful of any fighting game tutorial and even made to be fun with mini games, is probably the most carefully constructed one in history of fighting games to teach anyone who wants to play to be good and even win against advance level players. This game kinda keeps everyone in to a limit of even high level, instead of a extending list of unique special moves per character, all characters have fireball attack, vanish teleport, dash rushing attack and special moves that work the same inputs with any character. None of this is bad, is just a observation I wanted to point out. Making a game accessible to everyone is a good thing, but when you watch people perform the same combo over and over with one character no matter who the player is, it gets boring to spectate which will be prevalent thing among people like youtube/twitch viewers or spectators of tournaments.

I want to pick this game up but seeing from past actions had me concerned, do I buy this game only to see another revision expansion "Super hyper Dragonball Fighters Z Tournament edition" I could have waited for, or just wait for that one.... if there will be? I already dislike having to spend $60 on a game that I may not like, but if i do then having to spend more again cause they added more stuff to it instead of just having a lower cost or free download. I am not trying to be mean, I just want to be assured is not gonna be repackaged again. At best, I usually wait for a discount in case stuff like this happens which sounds disrespectful to developers but I just sometimes lose faith.:unsure:

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is Bamco? Also I like the snes cart. That game was the first ever legitimate import game I ever played. I remember having fun with the game being like street fighter, is always something I remember. I'm glad DBZ games have gotten more fun, and lot better representation of the series, oh and that 2D fighting games are back, though I'm a bit disappointed at the 3DS game they released, felt like arc system works was hiding this potential gem of a game for some reason with that other game. (Least that same SNES game was released along side it making it a bit more welcoming.)

As for my opinion of the game, I think is a great game but I do have some things I can nit pick at but I don't want to sound mean for doing so. The best part is how it looks, bout as close to the anime as possible, anything better would be just making videos specific for this game like they do with Naruto games. Im glad there is some Japanese developers who know how to work that Unreal Engine. I wish they make anime with stuff like this. If the dragonball Creator was smart, he would go to square enix, and demand a remake of Chrono Trigger & A new Dragon quest game (Even if it had to be a fighting game) and tell them to make it look exactly like this game as the only golden rule for the new games.:P

As for the game itself, my impressions. This isn't nit picking, if you was curious about the thoughts behind that, is mostly the little details. I know it has some cool stuff like the clothes getting dirty, the stages blowing off and the transitions, and death easter eggs between cast members. But there was past games that had those cinematic clash power struggles. Throw two fireball beams and have a mash fest to see who comes out on top like in the anime, or those attack clashes when they are punching rapidly and trading blows at high speeds, those don't exist in the game, is very minimal but if older games had it, as it's directly source material related, it would be nice to have it in this game too.

The real deal thing I wanted to point out is how is played. To be honest, it feels like they was nervous about fans who are new to fighting games trying to play this game, they kinda simplified the controls compared to Guilty Gear Xrd. Is not a bad thing, but i suppose is a trade off somehow. In Guilty Gear Xrd, there is a huge difference. The tutorial mode for example is very big and can extent so far is almost cherished how much effort they added to all of amount of learning the player can get, from learning how to play and the general rules, to character specific combos that get very complex, to actual counter pick character strategies, advance system mechanics, and rules. This game kinda removes all of that to keep the game simple for all player.

While the extended tutorial in Guilty Gear Xrd is very large and can be complex for many and even deter people, is actually the most helpful of any fighting game tutorial and even made to be fun with mini games, is probably the most carefully constructed one in history of fighting games to teach anyone who wants to play to be good and even win against advance level players. This game kinda keeps everyone in to a limit of even high level, instead of a extending list of unique special moves per character, all characters have fireball attack, vanish teleport, dash rushing attack and special moves that work the same inputs with any character. None of this is bad, is just a observation I wanted to point out. Making a game accessible to everyone is a good thing, but when you watch people perform the same combo over and over with one character no matter who the player is, it gets boring to spectate which will be prevalent thing among people like youtube/twitch viewers or spectators of tournaments.

I want to pick this game up but seeing from past actions had me concerned, do I buy this game only to see another revision expansion "Super hyper Dragonball Fighters Z Tournament edition" I could have waited for, or just wait for that one.... if there will be? I already dislike having to spend $60 on a game that I may not like, but if i do then having to spend more again cause they added more stuff to it instead of just having a lower cost or free download. I am not trying to be mean, I just want to be assured is not gonna be repackaged again. At best, I usually wait for a discount in case stuff like this happens which sounds disrespectful to developers but I just sometimes lose faith.:unsure:
Bandai Namco

AyanamiRei0

GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I highly recommend this game to anyone remotely interested in playing a good fighting game it's nice to see the "anime" fighting game stereotype was broken with this game.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

Ramzitv1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
maybe if we can buy the game,we can rip the sound effects & the english voice clips & upload them on The sounds Resource.

Ramzitv1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The only thing I don't like is that the English voices are kinda flat. It's better if you play in Japanese.
I understand your opinion,just because some lines doesn't fit in the game.my opinion,i like Funimation Dubbed to those Characters.if we don't buy the Dragon Ball FighterZ,we eventually Forget about Dragon Ball FighterZ Ripping Project.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i ripped one of the sound effects,so rare,while there's an ambience SFX playing(the same SFX Hidenori Arai,from Budokai 1 or Budokai Tenkaichi 3),the sfx plays that goku sense energy signals.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xf5yb5fyn34ny0y/DB+FighterZ+Recurerdo+sfx.mp3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: As long as you're not going hungry, it's nice to share things with your friends +1