Website
Visit site
XP
Country
testic-cancer said:
Benjay said:
YOU CAN STILL DOWNLOAD COVERS FOR FREE
YOU CAN ALSO PAY FOR THEM!

Meaning money is being made from both piracy, and the collective efforts of the community. simple as that.

if displaying covers is piracy , please get onto GBAtemp about displaying them

http://gbatemp.net/newgon/?dat=wii

please also complain any website doing reviews , and also , stop being a twat.
duh !

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
djtaz said:

duh !
As you are well aware, I've already replied to that very question HERE.

I'll copy it here for you though:

"
Why?, they aren't making money out of it. The artwork is under just as much copyright as the rest of the game. In the N64 days, Nintendo used to often send C&D letters threatening court action to websites that hosted boxart for free. Obviously nintendo have relaxed over time (MS get lots of hassle, but nintendo used to be a bastard of a company - not the fluffy bunnies they portray), but they could do it again if they wish. Especially over places charging.

They aren't making money because someone copied a game they made, but some webmaster is making money just for hosting the cover to it - I can definitely see them getting involved.
"

I maybe a , but at least I'm not a profiteering making money from the COLLECTIVE efforts of the community.

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
testic-cancer said:
The whole point of the wiiboxart site is for you to download copyrighted material.

it's wrong.
you don't have to pay to get covers.
You have to pay if you don't want to move your lazy ass from your couch and DL your covers by just 1 clik in your loader. (like i do)

that's it.

But it seems really hard to understand for some people.................

why don't you just STFU , and create a site like DJtaz one , with all the same services provided , but all for free.
And we will see how long it will take before you change your mind.

And it will give others a new possibility to download covers.
./

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Benjay said:
testic-cancer said:
The whole point of the wiiboxart site is for you to download copyrighted material.

it's wrong.

Please, tell me what is wrong about my statement. The only point of the aforementioned site is piracy. (Not that I have a problem with piracy, just to be clear).

why don't you just STFU , and create a site like DJtaz one , with all the same services provided , but all for free.
And we will see how long it will take before you change your mind.
Dexter222 has offered to do just that, HERE. As the coverart was a collective effort I'm sure djtaz won't have a problem supplying all the boxart to dexter (for free) so that what you suggest can be put into practice.

The problem is then over, agreed?

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
testic-cancer said:
djtaz said:

duh !
As you are well aware, I've already replied to that very question HERE.

I'll copy it here for you though:

"
Why?, they aren't making money out of it. The artwork is under just as much copyright as the rest of the game. In the N64 days, Nintendo used to often send C&D letters threatening court action to websites that hosted boxart for free. Obviously nintendo have relaxed over time (MS get lots of hassle, but nintendo used to be a bastard of a company - not the fluffy bunnies they portray), but they could do it again if they wish. Especially over places charging.

They aren't making money because someone copied a game they made, but some webmaster is making money just for hosting the cover to it - I can definitely see them getting involved.
"

I maybe a , but at least I'm not a profiteering making money from the COLLECTIVE efforts of the community.

All covers on wiiboxart.com are FREE - go to any regions , list the games and click download - the covers are FREE !
Show me one cover on that site that isnt free.

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
djtaz said:
All covers on wiiboxart.com are FREE - go to any regions , list the games and click download - the covers are FREE !
You can keep repeating "BUT THEY ARE FREE", but you are charging money.

What you are saying is the equivalent of me giving DVD-R's of games away free (one at a time only), and say "if you want more you'll have to pay". Then when challenged about it saying "But you can get them free!".

If it was being perpertrated by a company it would be labeled a promotion.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
testic-cancer said:
djtaz said:
You can keep repeating "BUT THEY ARE FREE", but you are charging money.

What you are saying is the equivalent of me giving DVD-R's of games away free (one at a time only), and say "if you want more you'll have to pay". Then when challenged about it saying "But you can get them free!".

If it was being perpertrated by a company it would be labeled a promotion.

Lol - so ur agreeing that they are free if u get the one at a time ?
Why arent u harping on other sites like http://awiibit.com/ who also give covers and only let u download one at a time for free ?

The mass download resizing and zipping script is a script i wrote myself from scratch , if u want to use that script you pay for the ability to use it - and im perfectly entitled to do as i wish for that ability - allowing access to any part of my site from outside is also something i wrote , and this ability is also something i can use at my own discression.

The covers are still free, you have agreeded with me , so whats your problem ?

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please some one answer this damn question for me, I asked it like 5 times already.

Is it not possible to change the loader so that it can work with the site. So if you try a new game, you download just the one image for the game.

Wouldn't that be a good resolution for everyone.

I see the batch downloading kinda useless at this point in the game. And how long does 30 covers take to dl anyway?

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
djtaz said:
Lol - so ur agreeing that they are free if u get the one at a time ?
I'll agree that you are making money from it. Deal?

QUOTE said:
Why arent u harping on other sites like http://awiibit.com/ who also give covers and only let u download one at a time for free ?
Erm, because as far as I can see, they AREN'T making money.

If they are, please show me where and I'll include them in my posts. I'm not victimising you, any capitalist scum who wants to make money from the efforts of all the fine people in the community will be equally ridiculed.

EDIT: Also, they don't limit you to one at a time, I've just used wget (down them all works too, as would a usb loader if compiled to use that url) to get every image from there. They don't try using some pathetic script that aims to prevent people doing just that.

QUOTE said:
The mass download resizing and zipping script is a script i wrote myself from scratch , if u want to use that script you pay for the ability to use it - and im perfectly entitled to do as i wish for that ability
This is where you are wrong. You are perfectly entitled to use your script to resize & serve your own artwork, or those that are in the public domain. You have no entitlement for copyright images.

How hard is that for you to understand?

The covers are still free, you have agreeded with me , so whats your problem ?
I've not come to an agreededment [sic] with you yet.

My problem is people like yourself, trying to make money off the back of not only the game devs, but also of all the people who put the time and effort into collecting the art work (and those who created customs). Many of whom spent longer than the time taken to write some scratty little script. None of them think they deserve paying for their part in it.

sanghoku

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
just to have my 2cents in this whole "omfg-pay-for-covers-i-need-for-not-always-so-legal-purposes?" discussion that's been going on in various threads here:
i agree with taz here.
i'm a software developer too, and yes, open source & freeware is nice, bot not an obligation! if one develops something that can help another, it is HIS decision to give or sell it; just like when you go to the store on the corner, you pay for some goods that were created by another person's ability. you make a choice there: get it and pay, don't get it, or steal it! let's not go into the third one here, so matter of fact is: if you don't wanna pay the dime, leave it for the next guy!
same with these covers: you can still get them for free, as they were donated for free; you want the 'luxury' of automation, which has been created by someone who probably 'sacrificed' some quality real-life family time for this, you give him something in return for his efforts... in the society we live in today, that's money; but i'm inclined to think that he'd also be happy with some fine bottles of wine or something
smile.gif

videoguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
testic-cancer said:
Benjay said:
YOU CAN STILL DOWNLOAD COVERS FOR FREE
YOU CAN ALSO PAY FOR THEM!

Meaning money is being made from both piracy, and the collective efforts of the community. simple as that.

duh !

I'll say it again, the websites that do reviews get permission to show the covers. Nintendo, EA, et al. want them to show the covers in the reviews because it sells more games. Stop being a twat about that.

rutny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sanghoku said:
just to have my 2cents in this whole "omfg-pay-for-covers-i-need-for-not-always-so-legal-purposes?" discussion that's been going on in various threads here:
i agree with taz here.
i'm a software developer too, and yes, open source & freeware is nice, bot not an obligation! if one develops something that can help another, it is HIS decision to give or sell it; just like when you go to the store on the corner, you pay for some goods that were created by another person's ability. you make a choice there: get it and pay, don't get it, or steal it! let's not go into the third one here, so matter of fact is: if you don't wanna pay the dime, leave it for the next guy!
same with these covers: you can still get them for free, as they were donated for free; you want the 'luxury' of automation, which has been created by someone who probably 'sacrificed' some quality real-life family time for this, you give him something in return for his efforts... in the society we live in today, that's money; but i'm inclined to think that he'd also be happy with some fine bottles of wine or something
smile.gif

This was classic bait and switch.
It was offered free and the devs took that into the building of their loaders (BAIT)
Once it became highly popular, the functionality of the FREE program was rendered inoperable unless you PAID someone else. (SWITCH)
(Lets not forget ALL the DEVS who built the programs to go out to his site and grab the images.....they did ALL their hardwork for free)

Now That my friend...is a bait and switch

sanghoku

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
rutny said:
It was offered free and the devs took that into the building of their loaders (BAIT)
Once it became highly popular, the functionality of the FREE program was rendered inoperable unless you PAID someone else. (SWITCH)
(Lets not forget ALL the DEVS who built the programs to go out to his site and grab the images.....they did ALL their hardwork for free)

yes, sure, and maybe you can call him an àyç!è(§ for that; but it's his right... and a lot of things in this world start out the exact same way; i'm not pissed at him for doing so... if i can get the covers one way or the other i'm fine... even without covers i wouldn't care... heck, i'd not even care about not getting any 'free' cios updates or whatnot... if that's how it is, then that's how it is... some example: there's this movie you really want to see again, but tpb is down and the big brotherz are watching the internetz... i'd just go out and buy the dvd, whereas some other people go on ranting about not being free to get what they want for free...
bottom line is, piracy and getting things for free are growing more and more too common... every week i have fathers and mothers in my store asking if we sell R4's; every week i have someone asking for a free windows copy;

people aren't ashamed anymore and they're baffled when someone asks something in return...

taz: at this time i won't be supporting you financially, maybe in the future, but not now as i don't have a need for it (yet)

neardark

Trophies
XP
Country
rutny said:
sanghoku said:
i agree with taz here.
smile.gif

exactly what it is.

he has confirmed that the issues with the site have been resolved so in theory it should be free for everyone now, we will see if it is. if it's not shame on him and the site won't last long.

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
sanghoku said:
some example: there's this movie you really want to see again, but tpb is down and the big brotherz are watching the internetz... i'd just go out and buy the dvd, whereas
And then the developers of that movie get the money for it.

That however isn't like for like - it's a terrible analogy. Closer would be, the internet was being watched/tpb down so you went to some scum at a boot sale and bought a copy from him.

TinyBilbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
The mass download resizing and zipping script is a script i wrote myself from scratch , if u want to use that script you pay for the ability to use it - and im perfectly entitled to do as i wish for that ability - allowing access to any part of my site from outside is also something i wrote , and this ability is also something i can use at my own discression.

Hmm.. this is where you begin to fall down....
Up until now I've sat on the fence thinking that what your saying may be true (giving you the benefit of the doubt),
However over the last day or so you've gone from asking for payment for;

1)Bandwidth problems/restrictions

to
2)Resource/host issues

to (finally)
3) payment for using your code.

Now which is it going to be....

The way I see it is that the 1st two excuses are not really valid,
since, for instance someone (like me) who has only 10 or so games in his loader,
visits your site and downloads what he needs (20 or so images).
This uses the same resources or bandwidth whether it's donemanually or automatically through a loader,
(actually it probably uses less of both through the loader).
So that leaves the 3rd option as the only valid one;
Which is fair enough - But expect that people are going to be aggrieved because you are charging for copyrighted material that is'nt yours.
and the money your making is'nt being used for hosting - it's going directly to you.

Myself I'm still undecided as to who's right because at the end of the day it's your site,
and what you do or charge is your own business, we don't have to use the site.
However it does feel that you may have pulled a fast one by (as a prevoius post mentioned) pulling a bait and switch routine
- especially since yours reasons for charging keep varying.

Just my 2cents...

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

bengalih

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New version of the tool is released, see first post.

As this tool no longer uses wiiboxart.com for it's main/sole repository let's stop using this thread as another forum to debate that site's merits.
The site owners there will do what they want.

I am here to provide a tool, for free, that can be used with multiple sources. Wiiboxart.com will continue to be a supported site, although I advise users not to utilize that site as a repository since the site owners there may place additional restrictions on downloading.

If you wish to host another repository, you should find all the information within the readme and config files. Please ask here if you have additional questions.

Check out the first post for more info.

-b

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nice to see you changed sites

and yes , i will impliment blacklists for anyone using 1.2 as well - though i will use the tool myself so thanks
biggrin.gif

Very well coded by the way - very impressive tool

bengalih

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
nice to see you changed sites

and yes , i will implement blacklists for anyone using 1.2 as well - though i will use the tool myself so thanks
biggrin.gif

Very well coded by the way - very impressive tool

Not that I really want to continue to discuss this in the open, because as stated this tool is no longer about your site, so whether you allow it or not will not affect the tools usefulness. Chances are if you do figure out how to block this tool, I won't continue to revise it to access your site. Although I've already shown that I can keep getting around your attempts to block it, there are enough other sites that it doesn't behoove me to waste time just trying to get it to work on yours.

I have several repositories that users can choose from and we will see indeed how much bandwidth gets utilized.

I have supported your decision from the beginning, because it is your time and resources, and you can control how they get used and what you charge for them.

However, there are at least 2 other threads that are monopolized with debate on your decision...so let's leave it to those threads and leave this one to discuss the future of this application.

thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...