Hacking DownloadCovers - New Tool to Download Covers Easily

redia

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
neardark said:
Something tells me your between the age of 5 and 15 lol
well if he is really between 5 and 15 he deserves a praise.
spending 1.5us$ from his pocket money is much more valuable than my 30euro from my paycheck !!

R

henkie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
redia said:
djtaz,

I have patiently read all the mess and fuss about wiiboxart, and you know what my position is..
there are multiple sites offering the covers :
apart from yours my favorite is : console-cover --- custom, high quality, 5 downloads per day. I only use discarts from them...
cc-console, wii.ds-scene, gbatemp, .... also host most of the covers.. but no 3d, and not named correctly, ...

people whining are only frustrated because they now have to pay the HUGE and ENORMOUS amount of 1euro to help the scene going on, OR do it manually.. which is totally unacceptable. don't you realize that they are going to hurt their fingers !!!

duh.... a bunch on whiners ! that's all they are.

from what I understood the problem now is more on the resources used when creating on the fly packs with specific size.

well I have two possibilities in mind (I know I am no genius, just sharing my thoughts)
1- we now know the standard size of most loaders :
160x224 / 160x225 / 130x224 / 130x225 covers
160x160 / 130x160 discart
and so on...
why don't you host the actually resized imaged directly for exemple :
www.wiiboxart.com/gx/covers/xxxxx.png
www.wiiboxart.com/gx/3d/xxxxx.png
www.wiiboxart.com/coverflow/covers/xxxxx.png
www.wiiboxart.com/coverflow/3d/xxxxx.png
and so on or
www.wiiboxart.com/covers/160x224/xxxx.png
www.wiiboxart.com/covers/160x225/xxxx.png
thus the only process would be the packing.. and there I do not know/realize the impact it has on the server as you did not give us any information

2. you know I have created a little while ago my own coverdownloader / resizer. (I will wait until things are settled to see if I can adapt it to the new site to come)
the principle being pretty simple.
it creates/maintains a local repository of all the covers/discart/.... on my harddrive.
and then resize the images locally depending on the loader I want to test
I could separate the two and provide you with a small app that you would make available on your site for people wanting to resize the images.
or even modify it (when you are done with the site) to allow the implementation of the user/pass.
I did that because I noticed that not only people download the images, but they do it 200 times because they keep on switching from one loader to the other, formatting their SD, and so on...

anyway I am supporting you in your decision, hopefully people will grow up a little bit and end up understanding where you are coming from / or sharing the burden by mirroring your site.

Cheers,
R

Finaly someone trying to help finding a solution, instead of putting there frustrations about paying for covers in these msg boards. All you whiners should try that for a change.

The way I see it, why do YOU need to adjust your covers for the USB loaders? You just started the site for ppl downloading coverart manualy, you just made the option for the USB loader to auto download the covers, making the USB loader coders it easier. If the USB loaders want to use your site, they should adjust there code to work with your coverart size. Else they need to find there coverart elsewhere. Not the other way arround.

ps. I have nothing against the USB loader coders, they are all doing great work. Its just against the ppl who do nothing themselfs; who are the biggest complainers.

PR0r

Trophies
XP
Country
by default the downloader gets standard covers at 225. I have hundreds already at 224 and i dont want to download them all at 225 and resize myself. I just want several new ones..
is there anywhere in the config file to d/l at 224? thnx

great app btw
wink.gif

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PR0r said:
by default the downloader gets standard covers at 225. I have hundreds already at 224 and i dont want to download them all at 225 and resize myself. I just want several new ones..
is there anywhere in the config file to d/l at 224? thnx

great app btw
wink.gif

His app doesnt have the ability to resize the images , and the only reason u can still get the images at 225 is that its the physical dimension and link to the actual images on the site , so until i can move the folders out of the public folder , they are downloadable.

Once i get home and recode things this will no longer be possible so resizing using the app wont be an option either.

I still appreciate the app , and if it wasnt going to kill the site id let it be , but if it killed the site id have people on to me that they donated and now its not working - i really cant win with this no matter what way i go.

Try to save the site , i get abuse , let the site go , i get abuse.

ThaKillerKlown

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neardark said:
ThaKillerKlown said:
djtaz said:
I think its a good tool and the means to prevent people using this tool is entirely up to me from the sites point if view.

It just means i have to recode the site now and move all of the images around to stop it working , but thats my issue and doesnt take away from the expert work on this tool , failing that , the hosting company will shut me down as they have over the last few days , so i dont really have a choice.

Its either fix the leak on the site , or the sites gone , either way , this tool shouldnt last too long but good work on it. well done.

THIS +1

QUOTE(neardark @ Jun 30 2009, 05:23 AM) "Anyway, I've said my bit. Personally I'll get my covers elsewhere as I'm loath to pay for something that realistically shouldn't be sold in the first place."

exactly

do a poll and see how many people think he should be charging.

He isnt charging for covers, he is charging for bandwidth... You know, the service that gets the covers to you. Jesus Christ why is it so hard for you people to understand this? I donated... it was a whole dollar and a half, OMFG I hope I don't starve. If I were TAZ I'd close the damn site to EVERYONE and make it a pay site only. Fukk you ungrateful a$$holes.

Something tells me your between the age of 5 and 15 lol

31... This shit gets old fast.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
God this is getting old
wacko.gif

Good luck Taz - hope you manage to sort everything out server-side. I for one will be donating once I can be sure the site will survive. Sod the whiney ingrate brats permanently crying about it - They need to grow up and appreciate the effort you have put into the site OR fork out the cash and time and effort to set up their own sites. Whichever they choose they need to shut the fuck up and let your site be.

Neversoft

Trophies
XP
Country
djtaz said:
Ill do my best , but when your constantly up against a wall of negativity its hard to move forward
It's not a "wall" of negativity... Many of us wouldn't begrudge you some profit on your efforts if you called it that instead of bandwidth. I've already donated because I think it's a worthwhile service and you deserve to be paid for it (and I'm lazy) but please stop using bandwidth as the reason for the donations because it doesn't make sense.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
At the end of the day it's his site and he can do whatever the feck he wants with it and to hell with the rest of us.

If it was me I would have said bollox to it, shut the site down and you could all go and find your own fecking covers.

Instead of constantly harping on at the guy why don't you all devote your energies to setting up your own sites ? As you all keep saying, the covers are out there anyway...... all you need do is pay for server space and devote lots of time to coding and resizing and editing and quality controlling the content.

Well what are you waiting for ? Let's see some hustle people.......

OR does that suddenly seem like a lot of hard work and effort for nothing on your part ?????

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Neversoft said:
djtaz said:
Ill do my best , but when your constantly up against a wall of negativity its hard to move forward It's not a "wall" of negativity... Many of us wouldn't begrudge you some profit on your efforts if you called it that instead of bandwidth. I've already donated because I think it's a worthwhile service and you deserve to be paid for it (and I'm lazy) but please stop using bandwidth as the reason for the donations because it doesn't make sense.

I already posted either earlier on today or yesterday that the bandwidth has been covered - its everyone else that wont let that go.

The reason the membership system is staying is to keep the system resources reduced.
Please read :

[url=http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=2088861]http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=2088861[/url]

Do i get an apology ?

Posts merged

QUOTE(Muntrue @ Jun 30 2009, 02:48 PM)
Hey djTaz,

If you need any assistance in programming, hit me up with a PM.
Ill be glad to help.
Thank you very much , and thanks to everyone else who has offered help with this , i appreciate it all

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does this tool exist? There's a few people now, including me, offering EVERY FUCKING IMAGE for download in a zip or rar file for free. WTF?

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Neversoft said:
Many of us wouldn't begrudge you some profit on your efforts
And many of us would. How is this any different from people profiting from selling pirate games? It's someone profiting from piracy just the same.

Copy games sure, but to pay someone money to do it? That's always been frowned upon on gbatemp. What's changed?

SmuffTheMagicDragon said:
At the end of the day it's his site and he can do whatever the feck he wants with it and to hell with the rest of us.

If it was me I would have said bollox to it, shut the site down and you could all go and find your own fecking covers.
Except the people on here DID find the covers in the first place. It was a community effort. Now money is being made from it, which is one reason people are annoyed.

QUOTE(hdhacker @ Jun 30 2009, 02:49 PM)
Why does this tool exist? There's a few people now, including me, offering EVERY FUCKING IMAGE for download in a zip or rar file for free. WTF?
That is how it all started off. Then people decided they wanted to host it on their own sites.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
testic-cancer said:
Neversoft said:
Many of us wouldn't begrudge you some profit on your efforts
And many of us would. How is this any different from people profiting from selling pirate games? It's someone profiting from piracy just the same.

Copy games sure, but to pay someone money to do it? That's always been frowned upon on gbatemp. What's changed?

SmuffTheMagicDragon said:

Except the people on here DID find the covers in the first place. It was a community effort. Now money is being made from it, which is one reason people are annoyed.

QUOTE(hdhacker @ Jun 30 2009, 02:49 PM)
That is how it all started off. Then people decided they wanted to host it on their own sites.

erm - covers were always free on that site .

how come everyone assumes covers had to be paid for ?

You could always just go to the site and download any cover you wanted free - and if displaying a box cover on a website is piracy , id speak to GBATemp about their displaying box covers - and any site that reviews games , and quite a few others.

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
djtaz said:
if displaying a box cover on a website is piracy , id speak to GBATemp about their displaying box covers - and any site that reviews games , and quite a few others.
Why?, they aren't making money out of it. The artwork is under just as much copyright as the rest of the game. In the N64 days, Nintendo used to often send C&D letters threatening court action to websites that hosted boxart for free. Obviously nintendo have relaxed over time (MS get lots of hassle, but nintendo used to be a bastard of a company - not the fluffy bunnies they portray), but they could do it again if they wish. Especially over places charging.

They aren't making money because someone copied a game they made, but some webmaster is making money just for hosting the cover to it - I can definitely see them getting involved.

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Can't you read ?

or are you too stupid to understand what's written ?

YOU CAN STILL DOWNLOAD COVERS FOR FREE

you must pay if you want to use extra features , like autodowload from loaders.

Now what are you going to do ? get your free covers elsewhere ?
yes , limited to 5 by day , and with need to rename and resize yourself with tools.

BUT , all of this , you can still do for free on wiiboxart , with auto resizing.

But your retarded mind seem not to understand this.

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
lol

yes , you can also pay for them , but none is behind you with a gun to oblige you to pay.
If you don't wanna pay , you can still get them for free.
that's it.
you want another exemple like this one ?
i can get every game i want for free on torrent site , but with a crappy DL speed.
I can also pay 20€/month to usenext and get them at max speed.
which is what i call an extra feature too.
you see what i mean ?

simple as that too
wink.gif

videoguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
if displaying a box cover on a website is piracy , id speak to GBATemp about their displaying box covers - and any site that reviews games , and quite a few others.

Pretty sure those review websites get permission. Or at least can make a "fair use" legal argument. But you're crazy if you think the distribution of copyrighted material isn't a form of piracy. It's just this is one that people tend to look the other way on.

Anyway, just because one website does it, doesn't mean everyone can. It's akin to saying "the songs are played free on the radio, so, what's the difference between listening to it free off the broadcast and downloading it free off the internet?"

Just my 2 cents. I don't have a dog in this covers fight. I think both sides are acting pretty stupidly. But I've seen this "review websites do it so I can too" argument a few too many times, it's just not a good argument.

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Benjay said:
i can get every game i want for free on torrent site , but with a crappy DL speed.
I can also pay 20€/month to usenext and get them at max speed.
The entire purpose of usenet is not for piracy. It can be used for it, but it has many other uses (and has done for longer than piracy has existed on the net). You pay your money for the use of the entire protocol.

The whole point of the wiiboxart site is for you to download copyrighted material.

It really is that simple, DYS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Did you try the3 breakfast one they make?