Download Play multiplayer for VC games on the way?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by McHaggis, Jul 6, 2012.

1. McHaggis
    OP

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    Japan only, thus far... think we'll see the same update on the European and American continents soon? It's almost like Nintendo are testing the waters by releasing the update in Japan first.

1 person likes this.

2. DJPlace

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    i don't get why they can't do wi-fi but still it's good to know

3. lokomelo

Member lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    It may not interess many people here, but I think that is a HUGE step foward

1 person likes this.
  4. VMM

Member VMM Full Hollow Cero

Brazil
    I agree with you,
    there are some very interesting multiplayer in NES, GB and GBC games.
    Hopefully it means we will see multiplayer in future VC games, like GBA and SNES

2 people like this.
  5. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    I'm a bit worried about GBA... Nintendo is likely worried that the ambassadors are going to whine that, "You said only WE would get the GBA games because we're ambassadors, and they're mine, all mine! WAAAHHHHHH!!!" lol.

1 person likes this.
  6. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Download play is a multiplayer function where one or more players can download a game over WiFi from another player and then play with/against each other. What is your complaint really?

7. xwatchmanx

United States
    Um... since when? Download play is for local play only.

8. Minox

Sweden
    WiFi as a term does not specify local multiplayer or online multiplayer. The latter appears to be what he was referring to though.

9. xwatchmanx

United States
    Actually it does. You need a wifi connection to play online, but you don't to play local. If you did, then you wouldn't be able to play local when not near a wifi router.

10. Minox

Sweden
    Do note how it says including instead of saying something along the lines of it being a requirement.

11. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    The only thing i care about is 2 player on original super mario bros. Like in the beginning of nintendo time! Only with a much more powerful device...wirelessly...and shiny.

1 person likes this.
  12. lokomelo

Member lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    SNES is a dream that I have. But I think we will not see this on 3DS.
    (I'm counting on Wii U VC)

I saw many gbatemp users crying about that "oh I'm ambassador, and I want exclusivity", but Nintendo should leak GBA games for Wii U (wii u pad is a "portable" device right?), if this happens, that account integration stuff will allow everybody to have GBA ambassador's games.

13. Minox

Sweden
    So if you decide to play a local multiplayer game against someone else does your 3DS not establish a WiFi connection to the other device? If not, then please explain what kind of magical transport method your 3DS utilizes.

WiFi is a local wireless transport method. In order to have Internet access it has to bridge some other connection to enable itself to connect to the web. I'm assuming Nintendo is causing some confusion by their use of their "Nintendo WiFi connection" term, however WiFi as a technique is strictly local and does not magically establish access to the Internet on its own.

If you still don't believe me then please do go and have a look at the definitions of the different IEEE 802.11 standards.

1 person likes this.
  14. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    I thought it worked the same way the old gba wireless connection worked. That little peripheral thing that let you trade and battle pokemon wirelessly? That didnt use wifi.

15. xwatchmanx

United States
    I think I understand what you mean... sort of. wireless connection between two devices without a computer network is called an "ad-hoc" wi-fi connection, which is what the 3DS uses in local play, am I right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-fi

But at any rate, since people generally use the term "wi-fi" in everyday conversation as synonymous with WLAN specifically, I think it's safe to say DJPlace is referring specifically to online-play, not local-play. I know that's what I (and most other people I've heard) mean when they make the distinction between local multiplayer and online/wifi multiplayer.

1 person likes this.
  16. Minox

Sweden
    Yes, you're right. The GBA wireless adapter did not use WiFi, but the reason for that was because the GBA wireless adapter wasn't made following any of the IEEE 802.11 standards. By not following any of these standards the device does not have the qualifications to use the WiFi trademark. The techniques used in that device appears to be very similar though, one of the main differences being that it operates at a different frequency from what I gather.

17. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Guys, really? DS local multiplayer uses a modified 802.11 spec. However, Wi-Fi generally means over the internet tubes, while Download Play or Local Wireless means the 802.11 mod.
    Can we get over this already?

18. Minox

Sweden
    Had you read what has been said then you'd know that our little argument is done. He understands what I meant and I understand what he meant, there's little else to it.

Going back to the point of this topic, I think it's lovely that they're actually adding it as a Download play title instead of simply requiring both players to own the game in question. It really simplifies things whenever you feel like playing together or against one or more of your friends. I believe the main reason for not including online multiplayer is because the latency could make gameplay rather laggy and they'd likely have to build in interpolation if they'd wish to mitigate that.

2 people like this.
  19. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    How I fricking wish that Kirby and the amazing mirror could be used for wireless or Wi-FI multiplayer. XD

2 people like this.
  20. xwatchmanx

United States
    :blink: Now THAT is an amazing idea...