Downgrading firmware or installing CFW on 11.4

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TheSnivyMaster, Jul 5, 2017.

1. TheSnivyMaster
    OP

TheSnivyMaster Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    United States
    Hi guys... I'm aware that there is already a way to install CFW via DSIware but I don't have access to another 3ds with CFW to do so... I just recently got a new 3ds xl that I've only had for about a week. I had CFW on my old 3ds but it broke and Is non functional. I was wondering if there was another way for me to get CFW on 11.4 or to downgrade to 11.3 from 11.4... I can't find anywhere else that will tell me how so thanks for the help!

2. TheSnivyMaster
    OP

TheSnivyMaster Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    United States
    I really just want ntr so that I can stream my 3ds to my pc so if there is a way to get that without CFW that would be awesome too

3. nitroBW

nitroBW warum nicht?

Nov 1, 2016
    Germany
    donut piss wasteland
    You need CFW in order to use NTR :s

Your only options right now, are:

A. Second, hacked 3DS
    B. Hardmod

With option A not working, you can either try hardmodding your console (which you should only do if you are experienced with soldering) or you wait until magnethax gets released or EoL of 3DS :/

Quantumcat likes this.
  4. TheSnivyMaster
    OP

TheSnivyMaster Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    United States
    I haven't heard of magnethax... what is it? Also, I'm definitely not going to hardmod my 3ds. I broke my last one by trying to replace the upper screen so that's definitely not happening. Are you sure there's not a way to downgrade??

5. BobDoleOwndU

BobDoleOwndU GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 28, 2013
    Canada
    A second 3DS with CFW or a hardmod are your only options on 11.4. No, there is no other way to downgrade.

MagnetHax, officially known as NTRBootHax, is an upcoming (not yet released) exploit. It involves using a magnet to trick the 3DS into thinking it's in sleep mode, then pressing a button combo on the 3DS to get it to load the exploit payload from a DS flashcart. You will need a DS flashcart and a second 3DS with CFW or a save dongle (i.e. PowerSaves) to flash the payload to the cart. Not every flashcart will be compatible.

nitroBW likes this.
  6. TheSnivyMaster
    OP

TheSnivyMaster Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    United States
    Ok

7. Petraplexity

Petraplexity Fidget-Spinning Spicy Memelord™

Sep 5, 2015
    United States
    Over There
    My personal advice would be to wait for magnethax and buy a compatible flashcard, trade in the 3DS for one on a different firmware, or pay somebody for a hardmod (in descending order).

Quantumcat likes this.
  8. TheSnivyMaster
    OP

TheSnivyMaster Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    United States
    Ok... what would compatible flashcards be? Like which ones are compatible? Also, how long do you think it will take for magnethax to be released?

Last edited by TheSnivyMaster, Jul 5, 2017
  9. Petraplexity

Sep 5, 2015
    United States
    Over There
    So far, only the Acekard 2i is confirmed to work. However, more will likely be supported when it's released, and ideally all flashcards will eventually be supported.

10. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Or above all of those, buy a 2DS new in a shop (an old plain one) that will likely have 9.2 or less (this is so you can get arm9 access before installing any CFW on it). As soon as you get arm9 access make a NAND backup. Mod it, and use it to install CFW on your console. Then restore the backup and return it to the store. This costs you nothing and you can do it right away.

11. Petraplexity

Sep 5, 2015
    United States
    Over There
    ^that too :P

12. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I am going to agree with everyone else on just getting a 2DS from pretty much anywhere. Chances are extremely high that they will be on an exploitable OFW.
    Going about this way actually gives you a second system to do a lot things with
    1: Keep around to create future entrypoints with (either use to flash NTRBootHax or future dsiware transfers if you feel like dropping 2$ every so often)
    2: Testing OFW updates. Never worry about OFW updates potentially causing issues to your main system. Just use this system to see what will happen.
    3: Have a 2DS

nitroBW likes this.
  13. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    You can actually already flash luma to an acekard 2i using decrypt9

14. nitroBW

nitroBW warum nicht?

Nov 1, 2016
    Germany
    donut piss wasteland
    Afaik that only works for >10.1 consoles; NTRCardHax or something. It isn't the same as NTRBootHax

15. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Odd. I'm curious, what would make that different? I know how NtrBootHax exploits the bootrom and the 3ds loads luma from bootup, but how does ntrcardhax work? In the decrypt 9 menu it mentioned restoring an acekard 2i to the bootrom.

16. fowler002

fowler002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 3, 2013
    There is a way to downgrade right now, however it's super secret..... :P